Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Layman
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pardon the silly question, but friend and I were of differing opinions on the combat odds ratios, and we're looking for clarification.
- if 11 attacks 4, that is 2:1 odds
- if 4 attacks 11, is that 1:2 odds or 1:3 odds? my friend believes you always round in the defenders favor to be consistent.. so, 4 attacking 11 would be 1:3 odds. is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct, you always round in favor of the defenders. If you look at the examples of play you'll see that rule in action.

There is not many units in the game, and the different stength values (plus low stacking) were designed to limit complicated computations of odds as much as possible (yes, I really looked into this, too!).

If you still find you are searching all around the board for that extra combat factor to make the perfect odds for that critical attack, or playing a game of Counter "Musical Chairs" to do the same, then I have the perfect solution for you: use Optional Rule (15.3) Local Combat Support. It was designed for that need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I been reading the rules on line (before my copy arrives) and I am confused by the "odds ratios" rule. In the example in the rule book, it says 12 vs 9 = 1.33 which comes out to a 1:1 ratio. But 14 vs. 9 is 3:2? I don't know how to get there. Per the rules, if I divide 14 by 9, I get 1.555. How does 3:2 come out of this?

The game looks fabulous. But this has me stumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple ways: As you say 14 divided by 9 is 1.555. 3 divided by 2 is 1.5, so 14:9 (1.555) would round down to 3:2 (1.5).

Another way is a little more complicated: 9 divided by 2 is 4.5. How many 4.5's go into 14? The answer is 3 plus a little bit more, so it rounds to 3:2.

Anybody got any other tricks for quickly calculating odds ratios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ryan
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate it. That is helpful. But it still seems a bit inelegant for such an otherwise elegant game. I think that some math wiz out there should make a simple table for all of us. It would be a cross-reference chart, like the CR tables of these games. Down the side would be the defender's strength and across the top would be the attacker's strength: find the intersection and, voila, you have your "Odds Ratio" right there. No need to do the math for each battle.

So, Mike, I have been enjoying the Geek for years, but this is my first post. How do we ensure these postings are being read by all the NR-fan math geniuses out there? Do we start a new thread? And then would it be at the top of threads? It's a pathetic question, I know!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this quick and dirty one: Re: Need help on Odds Ratios; and a suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.