David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm currently debating between getting into Dystopian Wars or Uncharted Sea's for sea based miniature warfare. The theme doesn't really bother me, since I like both, so what it really comes down to overall is which ruleset is more fun to play.

So what are the main differences between the two, focusing on the sea battles aspects alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that the scale is different - US is 1:600 and DW is 1:1200

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
DW is more complex. There are more details to consider, from aircraft, to mines, to boarding and anti-boarding defense, to multiple different types of weaponry.

I've not played US, but I've read the rules, and I imagine US would be a bit faster and easier to play. I've played DW, and there is a lot going on. The rules (and bookkeeping) for the tiny fliers (airplanes) are also a bit weird (and clunky, each tiny flier is marked with a d6 to track fuel), and fliers are much simpler in US.

That being said, I've long sold off all my US models for DW! despite some tough rules to read and get into, the game is good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And now DW has released their 1.1 rulebook which fixes a lot of the wonky and weird rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.