Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One look at Ebay recently and I have to wonder, what in the world is going on with EBAY prices on recently OOP games? I see Star Wars Queens Gambit NOW has a high bid of over $100, which is amazing to me since I can go to my local store and buy it RIGHT NOW brand new of the shelf for $40. I saw a similiar thing with Battle Cry (which is sitting on the same shelf for $40) and selling last week on EBAY for about $75 as I recall. I also see some unopened copies of older Eagle Games (NIE, etc..) selling for ridiculous money on EBAY. You guessed it I know where there are MANY unopened copies sitting on various shelves waiting to be sold.

Worse yet I see people paying premiums for games that are still in print and available from GMT. I see people paying more than it would cost to buy directly from GMT.

I don't get it?

Are some people so stupid as to think that EBAY is the only place in the world to buy these items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the OOP games, consider that not everyone's FLGS has such copies available, and some people don't even have a FLGS to check out. I know for myself, I visit most of the local gamestores in Pitt (as well as the Toys R Us types) and I might see a OOP once in a great while, but typically not the ones I am looking for. You may simply have the good fortune to live somewhere where these games are still amazingly available several years after going out of print.

As for people paying a premium for games still in print and available for less money directly from the manufacturer, well, I have no response to that - people really do need to look around a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
As for the OOP games, consider that not everyone's FLGS has such copies available, and some people don't even have a FLGS to check out.

True, but there's also never been any shortage at all of bizarre behaviour on ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should rescue those languishing copies and offer them on eBay. It's an "everybody wins" situation. The store owner moves merchandise that has been sitting for a while. The buyers get copies of games they want. You get a little cash for connecting the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you located, John? I'd LOVE to pick up a copy of Queen's Gambit, especially for $40. I have no inclination of paying $100 for a copy...I'm hoping that the prices cool down, as they did for Epic Duels. ED is currently going for about half of what it did three weeks ago, where a few auctions neared the $100 mark themselves. (ED is a great game--I own two copies--but no WAY is it worth $100!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what what does FLGS stand for?

i'm guessing local games store, but what about the "f"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:

Favorite

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
what what does FLGS stand for?

It depends on the game store:

Friendly
Favorite
F***ing
Freaky
Fantastic
Fruity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman wrote:
One look at Ebay recently and I have to wonder, what in the world is going on with EBAY prices on recently OOP games? I see Star Wars Queens Gambit NOW has a high bid of over $100, which is amazing to me since I can go to my local store and buy it RIGHT NOW brand new of the shelf for $40. . . . I don't get it? . . . Are some people so stupid as to think that EBAY is the only place in the world to buy these items?

Timing is everything in this case. With Revenge of the Sith so fresh in everyone's mind anything having to do with Star Wars is going to be at a premium.

And since Ebay is about the only place to find OOP Star Wars loot (garage sales, too), I'm not surprised. I started noticing an increase in related loot about three months ago in anticipation of the new movie.

As to your other finds, they are odd, but not out of place given the very reasons others have mentioned herein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.