Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hall
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Talisman fans!

I'm 23 years old, fairly new to BGG, and brand new to Talisman!

Thanks to a fairly recent post in the recommendations forum, I decided to take the plunge and give Talisman a try. I bought the 4th ed. from FFG and it arrived last Thursday.

Needless to say, I fell in love with it! I played with a good friend of mine and we definitely enjoyed it! Our first game came down to me on the Crown and my friend was stuck "Dicing With Death" as I was hitting him with the command spell for the victory. Pretty close!

So... maybe I got a little too excited after 3 play-throughs, and I bought the Reaper, Sacred Pool, Highland, and Dungeon expansion.

Overkill?

It gets better... (or worse? whistle)

I noticed that the Dragon expansion was selling out lightning-fast on Amazon. With only 2 copies left I kinda bought that too. (Along with Frostmarch...)

I may have gone a tinsy bit overboard. Was this irrational behavior?

Regardless, I can't wait to see how all the expansions enhance the game! I read up on all 6, and all (maybe not equally) add more depth and variety to the game! Very stoked! I'm so glad I had no problems appreciating, and loving this grandpa of a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one game my wife and I like to play and we have no regret having bought all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are usually worth it for games like this.

As long as they don't go over the top with them like GW did with TimeScape back in the earlier Talisman days you'll probably be pretty happy with whatever FFG has to offer for the game.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hall
China
Guangzhou
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope my other friends find a likeness to it! My generation grew up on video games, and any board game that's lengthy may pull on them. I just hope it's engaging for them as it is for me and my friend. I'm also curious if my girlfriend would give it a try. She enjoys playing the other board games I have, just not sure if thick theme would turn her off...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not unheard of. A friend of mine played 1 game and immediately began pricing it and all the expansions.

Thankfully he didn't know where to get the good deals so the price put him off.

I'm going through a similar phase, but my attention is on building a respectable library. Each game I think "That'll hold me for a while". Then next week comes with a special offer on a game I've been dying to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have bought them all sooner or later anyway. So you went with sooner. The only one I don't have yet is the dragon but I'm sure I'll order it the next time I buy games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Gunn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Not any more overboard than anyone else. I played Arkham Horror one time and now I have purchased 6 of the 8 expansions, for a game that usually takes 4 hours to complete without any expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin TS
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad your first play was a blast! I dont think its a problem when u get all the expansions, as long as u enjoy the game. Well, at least i wont mind at all because i always believe to find a game that i love very much is not easy at all, so to me it's ok.

Enjoy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, how many expansion can you add at one time? We only just purchased "The Reaper" (which looks awesome, I might add) and now I'm tempted to get "The Dragon" or "Dungeon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many expansion can you add at one time?

All of them whistle . Depends on your tastes of course, but for me, bigger the Adventure (and other decks), the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many expansion can you add at one time? We only just purchased "The Reaper" (which looks awesome, I might add) and now I'm tempted to get "The Dragon" or "Dungeon".

You can use them all and they integrate just fine. Offhand, I'd get the Dragon before the Dungeon, because the Dragon expansion "interacts" with the main board. It's a little fiddlier though, since you're placing tokens on the dragon sheets or the board each player turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, you haven't gone overboard at all. I just picked the game up on Friday, and haven't even played the game yet(other than the iPhone game Dungeons and Dice, which might as well be called Talisman), and I actually plan on grabbing most of the expansions in a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I. J. Thompson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Same here. Bought Talisman for my son for Xmas, eagerly ran back for Reaper about a week later, and am likely going back for the Dungeon tomorrow... and so on... and so on... and so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.