Popular Tags: [View All]
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

When outfitting a party at the start of a campaign can any number of potions be bought (until tokens run out)? Or does the alchemist limit for tamalir apply durings et up?

Thanks - Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No limits other than coins and components on start. The Tamilir limitations don't start until you actually spend a game week there (or in a dungeon later).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was there an official ruling on the token limit to potions? I searched but couldn't find one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can't buy more potions than there are tokens supplied. Same with Fatigue in the advanced campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Was there an official ruling on the token limit to potions? I searched but couldn't find one.

All game components are limiting unless the rules explicitly state otherwise. This is generally true of FFG, and it has been true of every Descent component I can think of where the question has been raised.

Although I would personally be inclined to let heroes track fatigue on paper - especially considering how easily they can overshoot the supplied amount in an AC game - that is definitely a house rule, not the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
P.O.G.G. wrote:

All game components are limiting unless the rules explicitly state otherwise. This is generally true of FFG, and it has been true of every Descent component I can think of where the question has been raised.

I make an exception for anything shared - wound tokens, conquest tokens (in ACs).

Quote:
Although I would personally be inclined to let heroes track fatigue on paper - especially considering how easily they can overshoot the supplied amount in an AC game - that is definitely a house rule, not the official rules.

Heck no (IMO)! The absolute fatigue limit is a very important component limiting the heroes uber-power. The game starts to break down totally balance-wise when the heroes have too much fatigue (although, admittedly our biggest fatigue games were before Telekinesis was banned, which has a large effect).

When they go through an entire dungeon with the OL never getting a single monster-turn that lasts long enough for an attack (ie every starting monster and every spawned monster die either before they move or to a guard action/feat before they attack), it becomes rather difficult to sustain interest. Once you have all the heroes with 6-8 fatigue, this happens a lot. By this stage they usually have action multiplier skills and additional movement sources (treasures) as well, and they can easily move faster than a starting party Runs while they Battle/Ready with 10+ attacks/Guards doing 15-25 damage each, often with AoE weapons to boot.
Keep the fatigue limit as a limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone - chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Unless I'm badly mistaken, all attacks given by Quick Casting and the like must happen in direct succession, so that a hero would either fire their whole quiver when the first monster moves or have their order negated.

Now, it is rather easy to have 4 characters who move and then attack 3 times each, but those 12 attacks won't wipe out all monsters and then all minions.

A 18-point attack (typical value) doesn't necessarily wipe out a monster in early Gold Age. A Gold Razorwing or Ferrox will survive such an attack. A Gold Blood Ape will sustain two and live. A Gold Giant or Chaos Beast will sustain three with a bit of luck, as will most bosses.
There is one Sorcerer boss in SoB who, at Gold level and if Eldritch are Gold, has 52 / 11. That's seven 18-point shots and still alive.

With about 5 minions present and about 6 monsters from a good spawn card (with Treachery), even the biggest heroes would have to suffer some damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are wrong.

Quick Casting

Effect: After making a Magic attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue and exhaust this card to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn.

Rapid Fire

Effect: After making a Ranged attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.

Paying has to be immediate, but attacking again can happen at anytime during your turn. So in essence, you can take an Advance Action, move 2 spaces, and attack, spend 2 of your 5 fatigue for your immediate cost of QC/RF, move the remaining movement points, spend 2 more fatigue for 2 more movement, spend last fatigue to drink your FPotion, then move 5 more spaces and make your final attack. A hero with a speed of 4 would have moved 11 spaces and 2 attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
Unless I'm badly mistaken, all attacks given by Quick Casting and the like must happen in direct succession, so that a hero would either fire their whole quiver when the first monster moves or have their order negated.

Now, it is rather easy to have 4 characters who move and then attack 3 times each, but those 12 attacks won't wipe out all monsters and then all minions.

A 18-point attack (typical value) doesn't necessarily wipe out a monster in early Gold Age. A Gold Razorwing or Ferrox will survive such an attack. A Gold Blood Ape will sustain two and live. A Gold Giant or Chaos Beast will sustain three with a bit of luck, as will most bosses.
There is one Sorcerer boss in SoB who, at Gold level and if Eldritch are Gold, has 52 / 11. That's seven 18-point shots and still alive.

With about 5 minions present and about 6 monsters from a good spawn card (with Treachery), even the biggest heroes would have to suffer some damage.

Dreams are free. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
duhtch wrote:
You are wrong.

Quick Casting

Effect: After making a Magic attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue and exhaust this card to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn.

Rapid Fire

Effect: After making a Ranged attack, you may immediately spend 2 fatigue to make 1 additional attack with the same weapon this turn. You may use this ability multiple times, paying its cost each time.

Paying has to be immediate, but attacking again can happen at anytime during your turn. So in essence, you can take an Advance Action, move 2 spaces, and attack, spend 2 of your 5 fatigue for your immediate cost of QC/RF, move the remaining movement points, spend 2 more fatigue for 2 more movement, spend last fatigue to drink your FPotion, then move 5 more spaces and make your final attack. A hero with a speed of 4 would have moved 11 spaces and 2 attacks.

AG : waitamminit ... spending fatigue ? That means it can't be used during OL's turn at all ? So that newly spawned monsters won't suffer from it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
duhtch wrote:
You are wrong.

Quick Casting

Rapid Fire

AG : waitamminit ... spending fatigue ? That means it can't be used during OL's turn at all ? So that newly spawned monsters won't suffer from it ?

Why can't you spend fatigue during the OL's turn?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Merrimac wrote:

-shnar

You can, just not to gain MP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
shnar wrote:
Merrimac wrote:

-shnar

You can, just not to gain MP.

Which is how I understood it. So spending fatigue on a skill to be used after an attack is fine (i.e. QuickCasting).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
In this case, Rapid Fire is indeed a bit overpowered (as compared to Quick Casting - 1 use only, and Cleaving - needs contact or perhaps range 2 with Reach).

So the OL will have to resort to treachery cards. In a high-level context, Spell of Thunder or Animate Weapons would be huge. (15-25 damage, yeah ?)

I confirm what I was saying : the result will depend heavily on whether the monsters are one-shotable or not, and that's usually the case with Melee attacks, but less obviously so with Ranged and Magical attacks. Whence the importance of using Ranged/Magic monsters. Whence one should upgrade either Eldritch (many non-melee monsters) or Beasts (some non-melee monsters which greatly upgrade at gold and those very resilient Apes).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.