13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: La Bataille de la Moscowa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Burgo
msg tools
mbmb
Im thinking about purchasing this game. Any opinions from anyone who has played it would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
cpdfrank wrote:
Im thinking about purchasing this game. Any opinions from anyone who has played it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that it's a very similar system to that of the Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR).

If so, you might want to view my vid coverage of one of these

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
cpdfrank wrote:

I understand that it's a very similar system to that of the Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR).

Excellent system: Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR), the games are not too big and playable in a reasonable time. My favorite Napoleonic system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Garfink wrote:

Excellent system: Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR), the games are not too big and playable in a reasonable time. My favorite Napoleonic system.

I wasn't thrilled with it - too much mechanical action
(and I LIKE GBOH). Thing is, IT'S not napoleonic -
which is why I wanted it. I can't think of a good
7YW system - nor a detailed American Revolutionary
one.

For Nappy, I'm thrilled with the Napoleonic Brigade Series
(especially v3)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Garfink wrote:
calandale wrote:
cpdfrank wrote:

Except not one of them is a Napoleonic game It's all 1740 to 1781 at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Peso Pete wrote:
cpdfrank wrote:

My only experience is with the old GDW version of this game. That version was actually quite good and about as playable as a game of that size can be. My only complaint is with the battle itself. The Battle of Borodino was hardly a battle of manuever. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a brutal slugfest that resembled two boxers standing toe-to-toe beating the daylights out of each other until someone got knocked out. The GDW version of this game simulates this quite well (a little TOO well, in fact!), so replayability is limited due to the limited number of options.

You would think, but the damned GDW game is broken - ever deal with an aggressive Russian player who lurches forward and then uses the fact that Squares could fire full firepower in all directions?

Totally crap.

Don't think I will ever drag it out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
You would think, but the damned GDW game is broken - ever deal with an aggressive Russian player who lurches forward and then uses the fact that Squares could fire full firepower in all directions?

Totally crap.

Bill - am I right in thinking that your comments relate to an old GDW edition (only) and not to the new Clash of Arms edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Malcolm C wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Totally crap.

Bill - am I right in thinking that your comments relate to an old GDW edition (only) and not to the new Clash of Arms edition?

Yes.

A local group playtested the heck out of the new CoA version (it is posted on the CSW thread) and found it very desirable and fun.

Decided this year to cut my game purchase down to not more than 6 this year, and something had to go. One of those was the new Moscova.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Bataille de La Moscowa is part of the famous (and for some infamous) La Bataille series. I haven't played this particular title yet but I have some experience with the La Bataille system which some call the advanced squad leader of Napoleonic warfare.
If you agree to this or not is not important but it means it is a rather detailed system and certainly not punch and play. La Bataille de La Moscowa has four maps so you require space and time.

I can't see any games you like or own but the best advice I can give is to have a look at: http://labataille.us/
You can download the latest Marie Louise Rulses which are around 20 pages.If you like napoleonic warfare and game with monster proportions and have no time / space issue, this is for you!

I have ordered it myself so am eagerly awaiting the game. I own 4 La Bataille titles and if you ar enot sure and want to start on a smaller scale, go with La Bataille des Quatre Bras
If you think you will like it I would order the last (3rd) edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:
La Bataille de La Moscowa is part of the famous (and for some infamous) La Bataille series. I haven't played this particular title yet but I have some experience with the La Bataille system which some call the advanced squad leader of Napoleonic warfare.
If you agree to this or not is not important but it means it is a rather detailed system and certainly not punch and play. La Bataille de La Moscowa has four maps so you require space and time.

I can't see any games you like or own but the best advice I can give is to have a look at: http://labataille.us/
You can download the latest Marie Louise Rulses which are around 20 pages.If you like napoleonic warfare and game with monster proportions and have no time / space issue, this is for you!

I have ordered it myself so am eagerly awaiting the game. I own 4 La Bataille titles and if you ar enot sure and want to start on a smaller scale, go with La Bataille des Quatre Bras
If you think you will like it I would order the last (3rd) edition.

Great game, great series in his new incarnation. Really the designer had do a great work. My favourite game after ASL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Peso Pete wrote:
cpdfrank wrote:

My only experience is with the old GDW version of this game. That version was actually quite good and about as playable as a game of that size can be. My only complaint is with the battle itself. The Battle of Borodino was hardly a battle of manuever. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a brutal slugfest that resembled two boxers standing toe-to-toe beating the daylights out of each other until someone got knocked out. The GDW version of this game simulates this quite well (a little TOO well, in fact!), so replayability is limited due to the limited number of options.

Totally crap.

Did the rules changes suggested in the old 'Grenadier' magazine article not help,Bill?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
.... My only complaint is with the battle itself. The Battle of Borodino was hardly a battle of manuever. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a brutal slugfest that resembled two boxers standing toe-to-toe beating the daylights out of each other until someone got knocked out. ... so replayability is limited due to the limited number of options.

I agree. A friend and I played Borodino: Battle of the Moskova, 1812 recently and came to the same conclusion. I actually think Borodino is a better game on this battle. There are more strategic choices and much more tension, probably because the minutae of tactical mechanics are absent.

Not to the point the OP started though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.