Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! My 89 year old Grandmother recently asked me for Solitaire game suggestions and I'd love some help (either solitaire only games or multiplayer games with great solitaire options).

Here are the details:

* She has rheumatoid arthritis and thus has limited ability to handle small bits. So large pieces is a significant plus.

* She likes words and loves to read but doesn't enjoy math or numbers or large amounts of arithmetic.

* She especially enjoys mystery novels (so perhaps something with a detective or mystery theme?)

* She owns and enjoys Double Hi-Q (so perhaps a similar abstract or peg-jumping game?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bananagrams can be played as a solitaire word puzzle. Pieces are like scrabble tiles, I don't know what size will cause a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upwords can also be played solitaire, like Bananagrams. If I play solo, I usually don't figure out my score, I just play to see how long before I can't fit any more tiles in. Tiles are of a similar size to Bananagrams/Scrabble, no idea if that's too small.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases has reading and mystery and can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Upwords and Bananagrams definitely look interesting. I think Scrabble sized tiles would probably be fine. Although I have played Upwords a while ago and I seem to remember its tiles being slightly larger than Scrabble tiles. At the very least they are nice and chunky because they stack.

I actually might have a copy of Upwords sitting at my parents house. If so I'll have to get them to mail to over to my Grandmother! Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I think Advanced Squad Leader would be right up your grandmothers alley.

1) It has THOUSANDS of small pieces. Perfect for the grandmother who has arthritis.

2) If your grandmother likes reading, then ASL is perfect. She will be referencing rules before, and after almost every move! There are hundreds of pages that contain tens of thousands of words....all in small print! Three out of four 89 year old grandmothers agree...ASL is a "word-lovers, eyesight stressing, page referencing" lovers dream!

3) Your grandmother likes math...and boy does ASL have it. If she loves having to determine modifiers for just about every single situation that can be encountered in a game just as in real life, she is going to go crazy for ASL! She will be adding, subtracting, dividing, rooting, adding more, than subtracting some obscure amount, then adding in the "gust modifier" that happens only certain times of the year, and only on certain days when the cows haven't quite eaten all the corn yet...I could go on but....she will love ASL!

4) Mystery novels?!? Who needs mystery novels when you have ASL! Every move becomes a mystery in and of itself...a mystery on whether the move you just performed was correct.

5) What a coincidence! ASL has often been compared to Double Hi-Q and they are often mentioned together! Case in point, when you move your units, you can actually "jump" them from one hex to the next. And if you really want to impress your grandmother, while she is checking approximately 10 charts to determine all the variables that can happen when attacking a enemy unit, you can stand behind her and go "pew, pew, pew" in order to simulate combat sounds! Try doing that in Double HiQ!

6) Solitaire?? ASL was made for solitaire! You can buy a one-hundred dollar expansion (Solitaire ASL) that adds solitaire to the system. In no time at all, she will be rewriting history. Picture this, a world where Operation Market Garden actually worked. And it's all at her fingertips!

You see, ASL is a Grandmo....uh...oh, your grandmother wants something simple? uh....never mind what I said.....gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:
I think Advanced Squad Leader would be right up your grandmothers alley.

I was actually thinking about something more along the lines of The Campaign for North Africa... Although given the length I'd be worried that game would outlast her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Jurchen
United States
Altoona
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if she likes bingo (pardon anyone offended by stereotypes) but Don Quixote may work for her. It's plays a bit like advanced bingo, and doesn't have many fiddly bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.