Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need gift advice from/for poker fanatics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to come up with a fun wedding gift for a couple of friends who are both Hold 'Em fanatics and who run our monthly poker club. I'm not actually seeking a game idea; rather, I'd like to get them something related to poker. The problem is, they're already pretty well supplied with a really nice poker table, a couple of large cases of decent chips, cards, etc., and I can't think of anything else in the $40-$50 range that they might enjoy. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions from fellow poker fans.

Thanks!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I can think of are poker themed movies... Rounders and Maverick come to mind.

Oh heck, I have to add a game... Try Dead Money:

It's the Old West, and you find yourselves working at Friedey's, the watering hole of the damned.

You're the last few payers in a poker game you're not allowed to win.

Now lose all your money as fast as you can, while everybody else is trying to do the same. Oh, and you'll probably need the Brain.

2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Poker related movies: Big Hand For the Little Lady, The Cincinnati Kid, The Sting, 5 Card Stud, The Gambler

Gift recommendation: cd single of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face"?

Or, if they haven't read it, a copy of Tim Powers' novel "Last Call"
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Josh. How about custom Dealer and Blind buttons? Maybe personalize them somehow (I'm drawing a blank on suggestions). Good luck with your search!
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any poker player, especially those that run their own game, would love good decks of cards. Maybe try to find a few nice KEM or GEMACO cards. Those are my favorites, and are usually pretty pricey, but worth it. Also, there are some sites that allow you to customize your KEM decks.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe something like this and you can have their names and wedding date engraved on the back:

http://www.pokerguard.com/-c-26.html



1 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moolah.

Every poker player needs a stake...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
Avatar
mbmb
Customized Dealer button is a good idea. Most games that have been established for awhile do not use the buttons for small and large blind.

Also, card marker (card guards) are a good idea and a customized card guard for each of them would be a cool thing to do. (Card guards are objects that players place on top of their two down cards to protect them from getting mucked by other cards).

Good luck.
Matt
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you much of a card player? Offering to be the designated dealer for one of their poker nights might be appreciated.

Or some side table/trays if they don't have such things?
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Customised cards might be worth looking at as well as the card markers mentioned.
Also worth considering is a magazine subscription to WPT magazine or similar.


It has to be said- Poker has not been well-served by Hollywood. I wouldn't recommend any of the films
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Donore wrote:
Any poker player, especially those that run their own game, would love good decks of cards. Maybe try to find a few nice KEM or GEMACO cards. Those are my favorites, and are usually pretty pricey, but worth it. Also, there are some sites that allow you to customize your KEM decks.


This.

I think they run about $15 per deck and usually sold as a set of 2 decks for about $30. Very good cards and well worth it. You can also add a set of card markers (card guards) for a few more dollars.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I see you are in Canada where online poker is still very much alive. It changes everything if your friends play online at all. (I'd wouldn't advise playing anywhere other than PokerStars -- which I highly recommend to anyone who already plays online or to anyone who would like to mess around at very small stakes).

I'd ask your question at twoplustwo.com forums. If your friends don't play online, go to the "Home Poker" or "Brick and Mortar" section and I'm sure you'll get at least a half-dozen answers from people who play live poker all the time.

If they play online I can think of all kinds of gift possibilities but what they will find most useful and what they need depends on the player. I will say that any player who doesn't have either Poker Tracker 3 or Holdem Manager (not listed in any particular order) is really missing out.

Again, I suggest asking the question at twoplustwo. The software and books section come to mind for gift ideas.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonCD wrote:
I see you are in Canada where online poker is still very much alive. It changes everything if your friends play online at all. (I'd wouldn't advise playing anywhere other than PokerStars -- which I highly recommend to anyone who already plays online or to anyone who would like to mess around at very small stakes).

I'd ask your question at twoplustwo.com forums. If your friends don't play online, go to the "Home Poker" or "Brick and Mortar" section and I'm sure you'll get at least a half-dozen answers from people who play live poker all the time.

If they play online I can think of all kinds of gift possibilities but what they will find most useful and what they need depends on the player. I will say that any player who doesn't have either Poker Tracker 3 or Holdem Manager (not listed in any particular order) is really missing out.

Again, I suggest asking the question at twoplustwo. The software and books section come to mind for gift ideas.


Jon is pretty much right on. Dedicated poker players likely have a lot of the books/movies already (at least the decent ones, that is) so it might be worth checking before going that route. Card markers are a good idea, but can be awfully personal - almost like lucky charms. And those only apply to people who primarily play live poker. Online players have no need for them. KEM cards are nice and worth the money. But yeah, 2+2 will have a lot of ideas too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the wealth of fantastic ideas!! I knew I could count on my fellow BGGers for some useful advice! I wish I could tip you all more, but I've run out of GG.


berserkley wrote:
Some Poker related movies: Big Hand For the Little Lady, The Cincinnati Kid, The Sting, 5 Card Stud, The Gambler

Gift recommendation: cd single of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face"?

Or, if they haven't read it, a copy of Tim Powers' novel "Last Call"


I'm sitting here with my 19-month old son on my lap, and he just pointed at your avatar and started laughing.


sfeery wrote:
Maybe something like this and you can have their names and wedding date engraved on the back:

http://www.pokerguard.com/-c-26.html



I'm reluctant to get them card guards because they are such personalized items, but I love the idea of a custom engraved dealer chip. Thanks for the link!


cferejohn wrote:
Are you much of a card player? Offering to be the designated dealer for one of their poker nights might be appreciated.

Or some side table/trays if they don't have such things?


I love these "thinking outside the box" ideas!!


JonCD wrote:
I see you are in Canada where online poker is still very much alive. It changes everything if your friends play online at all. (I'd wouldn't advise playing anywhere other than PokerStars -- which I highly recommend to anyone who already plays online or to anyone who would like to mess around at very small stakes).

I'd ask your question at twoplustwo.com forums. If your friends don't play online, go to the "Home Poker" or "Brick and Mortar" section and I'm sure you'll get at least a half-dozen answers from people who play live poker all the time.

If they play online I can think of all kinds of gift possibilities but what they will find most useful and what they need depends on the player. I will say that any player who doesn't have either Poker Tracker 3 or Holdem Manager (not listed in any particular order) is really missing out.

Again, I suggest asking the question at twoplustwo. The software and books section come to mind for gift ideas.


Welcome to BGG, and thanks so much for the very helpful advice!! I know at least one of them plays online tournaments for money. I'll definitely swing by that twoplustwo site and see what they have to say.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Andrews
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh,

http://jjcards.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa...

http://www.kwmagic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPat...

Here are a couple suggestions I would point out from local retail stores.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
beloveserve wrote:


Thanks for the local links, Daryl. Now that you mention it, I recall seeing some poker-related items at J&J's.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amazon.com/Gambling-Scams-Detect-Protect-Yourself...

Gambling Scams, by Darwin Ortiz. The definitive work on how to cheat at cards and every other game under the sun. Perhaps not too relevant in our modern "poker means hold'em" age, but a highly entertaining read nonetheless. A good gift.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.