United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang,

I've created a robot which allows me to play a solitaire joust (against the robot). I'd post the PDF file up, but it's not been playtested by anyone other than me at the moment. If anyone wants to take a look and do some playtesting, let me know and I can post you the rules and see how you get on with it.

It's pretty fun so far, but does require some dice for the robot's decision making and a few extra tokens for "credits" - so, yes there are a few rule additions for the robot, but otherwise characters, locations, attachments and events play just the same.

let me know !

cheers, Ricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: this is now superceded by the v2 walkthrough. See a few posts down. Cheers, Ricky

Here is a walkthrough of the setup and a couple of rounds of play with the robot, so you can get a flavour of how it plays. Cheers, Ricky.

Sample Solitaire Game

I’m playing Targaryen, the robot is playing Baratheon

Setup
I draw: Flame-Kissed, Hrakkar Pelt, Warlock’s Servitors, Deadly Khalasar, Dance With Dragons, Maester Aemon, Khal Drogo’s Tent.

I play Khal Drogo’s Tent and Warlock’s Servitors

Robot’s Credit: 1

For the robot’s setup I draw and play 1 location and 1 character as follows: Aegon’s Garden and Salladhor’s Crew. With a cost less than 5 I give the robot one more credit.

I draw Jhogo and Rhaegal to make my hand back up to 7 cards.

Robot’s Credit: 2

ROUND 1
Phase 1: Plot
I reveal the Noose and Swordpoint (4/3/1) plot card.
The robot randomly reveals the Uneasy Truce (4/0/1) plot card.
I win the initiative and choose to be first player.

Phase 2: Draw
I draw: Blood-Crazed Screamer and Wedding Feast.
The robot gets one more credit.
Robot’s Credit: 3
Robot draws event card: Muster

Phase 3: Marshalling
I take 5 income and spend it all to play Jhogo and Maestor Aemon.
Robot takes 5 income.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 3,2. Play a character: Knight of the Rainwood, cost 2.
Robot immediately triggers his Muster event card, kneels Knight of the Rainwood and searches the character deck for all Knight characters. According to the "Robot - Important Character Table" I first select all characters with the highest cost (most power comes first, but cards in the deck have no power!). The character deck has 2 knight cards with cost 4 - Ser Eldon Estermont and Ser Barristan Selmy. The next value I must check according to the "Robot - Important Character Table" is highest strength. Eldon as STR 3 and Barristan has STR 4, so I select Barristan, reshuffle the character deck and place Ser Barristan Selmy face-down on top.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 2,2. Play an attachment: Lightbringer is drawn, cost 2. The robot selects a character to attach Lightbringer to according to the "Robot - Important Character Table". Salladhor’s Crew has the highest cost (most power comes first, but none of the robot’s characters have any power), so it is attached to Salladhor’s Crew.
The robot still has 1 gold left, and 1 credit action left, so ...
Robot’s Credit Action 3: roll 2 dice: 3,4: Play a character: Ser Barristan Selmy, cost 4. Since the robot has only 1 gold, Ser Barristan is played, all gold is spent, and remove 1 credit. Ser Barristan’s ability means I shuffle Muster from the robot’s discard pile back into the robot’s Events deck.
Robot’s Credit: 2

Phase 4: Challenges
I initiate a Power challenge with Jhogo and stealth past Ser Barristan Selmy. I gain 1 power for the challenge being undefended.
I initiate a Military challenge with Warlock’s Servitors. I check the "Robot Defending->Robot is second player" rules. The robot has two characters who can defend this challenge, Salladhor’s Crew and Ser Barristan Selmy. According to the "Robot - Defending Character Table" I consider the crew first (since it has the "can be saved" characteristic - from Lightbringer) and then Barristan. The Crew cannot successfully defend this challenge alone, so I add Barristan to the mix as well. Since this is a military challenge the robot will always defend, so the robot defends the challenge with both Salladhor’s Crew and Ser Barristan Selmy. The robot wins the challenge. Ser Barristan Selmy gains one power from his renown. Warlock’s Servitors has the ‘deadly’ keyword, so the robot must choose and kill one defending character. According to the rules, when choosing a character to kill, the robot should use the "Robot - Defending Character Table". So the robot chooses Salladhor’s crew and saves it from being killed by kneeling Lightbringer.

The robot has no standing characters, so cannot initiate any challenges.

Phase 5: Dominance
I win dominance and claim 1 power.

Phases 6 and 7: Standing and Taxation
I kneel Khal Drogo’s Tent to play Dance with Dragons, and draw Drogon.
Nothing else of note occurs.

Score : Baratheon(robot) 1, Targaryen(me) 2

ROUND 2
I reveal the Mad King’s Legacy (4/3/1) plot card, and discard Lightbringer from play.
The robot randomly reveals Mutual Cause (3/3/2) plot card.
The robot wins the initiative and always chooses to be first player.

I draw: Drogo’s Horde and Rakharo’s Arakh.
The robot gets one more credit.
Robot draws event card: Retreat

Robot takes 4 income.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 5,4. Play a location: King Robert’s Chambers, cost 1. Make a decision check to decide whether to play this as an attachment : roll 2 dice: 4,1 : decision is "No", so robot plays it as a location.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 5,2. Play a character: House Florent Scouts, cost 3.
Robot has no more gold, so takes no more credit actions

I take 5 income and spend it all to play Rhaegal and attach Hrakker Pelt to Jhogo for 5 cost. The pelt’s ability lets me draw 1 card. I draw: Great Pyramid.

I check the "Robot Attacking ->Robot is first player" rules.
The robot considers a Power challenge first. The sum of my character’s strengths, for those who are eligible to defend a power challenge, is 3 (Warlock’s Servitors) plus 3 (Jhogo) plus 4 (Rhaegal), so the "player’s score" is 10. The robot orders his cards according to the "Robot - Attacking Character Table" as follows: Ser Barristan Selmy (most power) and Knight of the Rainwood. The robot considers Ser Barristan alone first. He has strength 4. I roll 2 dice: 5,1. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a power challenge and a dice roll of 6 is minus 1. Four plus "minus one" is three. The robot’s score is therefore 3. 3 is less than 10, so the robot does not initiate a challenge just yet. Now the robot considers attacking with both Ser Barristan and the Knight of Rainwood (STR 2). I roll 2 dice: 5,2. The modifier is zero. The robot’s score is therefore 4+2+0 = 6. This is also less than 10, so the robot does not initiate a power challenge.
The robot now considers a military challenge. The robot orders his cards as follows: Ser Barristan Selmy (most power), and Salladhor’s Crew, House Florent Scouts and Knight of Rainwood (all according to highest cost). The sum of my character’s strengths, for those who are eligible to defend a military challenge, is 10. The robot considers Ser Barristan Selmy (STR 4) first. I roll 2 dice: 1,3. Modifier is -3. Robot’s score is therefore 1. No challenge. He now considers Ser Barristan and Salladhor’s Crew (STR 3). I roll 2 dice: 4,4. Modifier is +2. Robot’s score is 9. No challenge. He now considers Ser Barristan, the Crew and House Florent Scouts (STR 3). I roll 2 dice: 6. Modifier is zero. Robot’s score is 10. The robot will initiate a military challenge with these three characters.
I defend with Warlock’s Servitors. I lose the challenge and with the robot’s 2 claim I must kill 2 characters. I kill Maester Aemon, but kneel him to save himself. I then kill Jhogo.

[--- Edit, thanks to ilgoga: ---]

Meanwhile, Ser Barristan Selmy claims one more power for renown, and (since this was the first challenge initiated this round), House Florent Scouts claim 1 power for renown, and stands due to Vigilant.

The robot can now consider an Intrigue challenge with House Florent Scouts. I have no eligible defending characters, so my score is zero. I roll 2 dice for the robot: 5,6. Modifier is +3. The robot's attacking strength, from the Scouts, is 3, so his score is 3+3. The robot will initiate the Intrigue challenge and wins it undefended, claiming 1 power for his house, and I discard 2 cards (for the robot's 2 claim). Flame-Kissed and Deadly Khalasar are discarded at random.

[--- End Edit ---]

I now initiate a military challenge with Rhaegal, stealthing past Knight of Rainwood, and collect 1 power for an undefended challenge. The robot must choose one character to kill. According to the "Robot - Defending Character Table" he chooses Knight of the Rainwood (least power, lowest cost).

Phases 5, 6 and 7: Dominance, Standing and Taxation
No one wins dominance, and nothing else of note occurs.
The robot has not played the Retreat event card this round, so it is reshuffled into his Events deck.

Score : Baratheon(robot) 4, Targaryen(me) 3

And on we go...
One key rule which is not illustrated - if the robot has to discard a card from his hand ( when you win an Intrigue challenge against him, for example ), instead of discarding a card (since he has no hand per se) the robot loses one credit. It works out pretty neat. Cheers, Ricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing, here is a summary from the introduction to my rules..

These rules provide a solitaire variation for the LCG Game of Thrones The Card Game. In this game you will play a 2-player joust against a "robot" player. These rules provide the necessary instructions for controlling the robot player. Throughout the game you will, as the "player", play the game according to the standard/core rules of AGoT. The rules do not provide any deck-construction rules for the robot. Instead, it is expected that you will create the robot’s deck according to the type of opponent you wish to play against. You will decide how difficult an opponent you wish to play by constructing yours and the robot’s deck accordingly. Unless otherwise directed by these rules you should always follow the standard game rules.

The main difference between this solitaire variant and the normal 2-player joust is that the robot player will not have a "hand". Instead they will have a number of "credits" and they will use these credits to play cards from their house deck. In addition, rather than having a single shuffled house deck, the robot will have four shuffled house decks, one for each type of card, Characters, Locations, Attachments and Events, and will play cards from the top of these decks as if those cards were in their hand. So, during the marshalling phase, the robot will use his credits to play cards, and will decide whether to play a Character, Location or Attachment and draw 1 card from the respective deck. In addition, the robot will draw 1 card from the Events deck each round, and the rules will allow the robot to play this event at the right time. The robot is still limited to the number of cards he can play by the income (in gold) he receives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting, I could try and playtest it if you'd like. My email is eskill_overkill@hotmail.com

(ps, deadly only works for attacking characters, right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
Looks interesting, I could try and playtest it if you'd like. My email is eskill_overkill@hotmail.com

(ps, deadly only works for attacking characters, right?)

oops, yes, for sure deadly only works for attacking charcters - I was concentrating so much on trying to illustrate the robot's treatment of Deadly, thhat I overlooked a basic rule ! thanks for the spot ! I'll cross that bit out.

When defending, the robot prioritises characters which can be saved, and the least "valuable" defenders, so this helps it with Deadly.

cheers, Ricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bargender
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun Ricky. I'd like to join the playtesters for this variant. Can you please post a link to the rules or send a geek mail to my address with either the rules or a link to them?

Thanks,

Alan Bargender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks to everyone who showed an interest. I've made a few tweaks and have decided to just post the updated rules here on BGG as I'm sure you guys will be the best at playing around with it and hopefully will get something out of it - it's pending approval.

it would be cool if folks keep playing with it, and I'd be happy to gather feedback and make any mods we feel are necessary - with the emphasis on keeping it fun and keeping it simple, but still sophisticated. cheers, Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have uploaded v2 of the Solitaire Rules (pending approval now approved). Meanwhile, here is a walkthrough of a couple of turns using the v2 rules:-

Sample Solitaire Game - v2 Rules

I’m playing Targaryen, the robot is playing Baratheon

Setup
I draw: Flame-Kissed, Bones of a Child, Rakharo’s Arakh, Great Pyramid, The Titan’s Bastard, Jhogo, Horseback Hunters.

I play Great Pyramid and Jhogo

Robot’s Credit: 5 unallocated

For the robot’s setup I draw and play 1 location and 1 character as follows: Stormland’s Fiefdoms and Edric Storm. With a cost less than 5 I give the robot one more card as per the Marshalling Phase. I roll 2 dice: 5,3. The Marshalling Table tells me the robot plays another character. The robot draws and plays Salladhor’s Crew. The robot’s setup cards now exceed 5 gold cost, so plays no more. Finally the robot draws 1 event card and places it face-up in his hand and adds one allocated credit to it. He draws Lords of the Narrow Sea.

I draw Master Aemon and Poisoned Wine to make my hand back up to 7 cards.
The robot is given one more unallocated credit to make his total credits up to 7.

Robot’s Credit: 6 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Lords of the Narrow Sea).

ROUND 1
I reveal the Noose and Swordpoint (4/3/1) plot card.
The robot randomly reveals the Good for the Gander (4/0/1) plot card.

I draw: Crossroads and Balerion the Black.
The robot gets two more unallocated credits

Robot’s Credit: 8 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Lords of the Narrow Sea).

I take 4 income and spend it all to play Crossroads and Maester Aemon, and I kneel Great Pyramid to play Horseback Hunters.
Robot takes 4 income.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 4,1. Play a location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Great Hall, cost 2. Robot kneels Stormlands Fiefdoms (Rule 8) and pays 1 gold.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 5,2. Play a Character: discard 1 unallocated credit and draws Melisandre, cost 4. Robot kneels Great Hall and pays 2 gold.
The robot still has 1 gold left, and 6 unallocated credits left, so ...
Robot’s Credit Action 3: roll 2 dice: 6,1: Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Robert’s Loyalists, cost 3. Since the robot has only 1 gold, Robert’s loyalists is played, and all gold is spent. Being able to play more cards then they have gold for is an advantage the robot has to compensate for his random draws and lack of intelligence.

Robot’s Credit: 5 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Lords of the Narrow Sea).

I initiate a Military challenge with Jhogo and stealth past Salladhor’s Crew. I check the "Robot Defending->Robot is second player" rules. The robot has one character who can defend this challenge, Robert’s Loyalists. The Loyalists cannot successfully defend this challenge, but since this is a military challenge the robot will always defend, so the robot defends the challenge with Robert’s Loyalists. I win the challenge, so the robot must choose and kill one character. According to the rules, when choosing a character to kill, the robot should use the "Robot - Defending Character Table". So the robot chooses Edric Storm (lowest cost).

I cannot initiate any more challenges.

The robot now attacks. I roll 2 dice: 4,1. Checking the "Robot - Challenge Order Table" tells me the robot will initiate a Power challenge first, then Intrigue, then Military.

I check the "Robot Attacking ->Robot is Second player" rules. The robot considers a Power challenge first. I have no characters who are eligible to defend a power challenge, so the "player’s score" is 0. The robot can only attack with Melisandre. She has strength 3. I roll 2 dice: 3,5. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Special" challenge (we always use the "special" table when robot is attacking second) and a dice roll of 8 is zero. Three plus zero is three. The robot’s score is therefore 3. 3 is greater than 0, so the robot initiates the power challenge. The challenge is undefended so the robot claims one power for his house and Melisandre claims 1 power for renown.

Now the robot considers an Intrigue challenge. Again, I have no characters who are eligible to defend the challenge, so the "player’s score" is 0. The robot can only attack with Salladhor’s Crew. The Crew has strength 3. I roll 2 dice: 4,1. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Special" challenge and a dice roll of 4 is minus one. Three plus "minus one" is two. The robot’s score is therefore 2. 2 is greater than 0, so the robot initiates the intrigue challenge. The challenge is undefended so the robot claims one power for his house, and I must discard 1 card at random from my hand - I discard Poisoned Wine.

Picture of the game so far (oops, I forgot to add 1 power to Melisandre!) :
Notice the red and green pawns I was using for the robot's credits(?).

Nothing of note occurs.

Score : Baratheon(robot) 3, Targaryen(me) 1

ROUND 2
I reveal the Rule by Decree (4/4/1) plot card.
The robot randomly reveals Fleeing to the Wall (3/3/1) plot card.
My plot card has a "when revealed" effect that says the player with the most cards in their hand must discard down to 4 cards. I have 5 cards in my hand. The robot has 5 unallocated credits and 1 allocated credit - 6 credits in total. This represents the robot’s hand, so the robot has 6 cards versus my 5. We only have "Rule 2" to determine whether the robot chooses to discard the allocated card, or whether he chooses only unallocated credits, so we use rule 2. The robot must discard 2 cards. I take all the credits (I have 5 red and 1 green), shuffle them in my hand, and pull two at random. I pull 2 reds and discard them. So, the robot keeps the Lords of the Narrow Sea card in his hand with one allocated (green) credit on it.

EDIT: I forgot to play the last part of Rule 2 here, "If you selected an unallocated credit then simply discard it back to the supply and select 1 card [to discard] from the robot’s house decks using the 'Robot - Marshalling Table'." i.e. for each unallocated credit discarded I must also discard 1 card from the robot’s house deck. So, for example, in the above scenario I should have rolled 2 dice for the first discarded unallocated credit - let’s say I rolled 4,3, then I should have drawn 1 card from the robot’s character house deck and put it in the robot’s discard pile - and then rolled 2 dice again for the second discarded unallocated credit - let’s say I rolled 5,1, then I should have discarded 1 card from the location house deck.

Robot’s Credit: 3 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Lords of the Narrow Sea).

I draw: Bodyguard and Blood of the Dragon.

Robot’s Credit: 5 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Lords of the Narrow Sea).

I take 5 income. I kneel Great Pyramid and spend 1 gold to play The Titan’s Bastard. I pay 3 gold to play the Blood of the Dragon attachment to The Titan’s Bastard. I pay 1 gold to play Bones of a Child and attach it to Maester Aemon
Robot takes 3 income.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 4,1. Play a location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Aegon’s Garden, cost 0.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 5,1. Play a location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Aegon’s Garden, cost 0. This card is limited, so it must go face-up to the robot’s hand, and I add 1 allocated credit on it.
Robot Credit Action 3: roll 2 dice: 6,4. Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Stannis Baratheon, cost 4. Robot kneels Stormlands Fiefdoms and Great Hall to reduce cost by 3(Rule 8) and pays 1 gold.

The robot has a character with a ring crest in play now, so the robot can play Lords of the Narrow Sea (as per Rule 10). The Lords of the Narrow Sea event is played, its allocated credit is discarded, Stannis Baratheon is knelt, and I must reveal a new plot card. I choose the Herding the Masses (2/0/2) plot card, and the robot claims 1 power for his house.

Robot Credit Action 4: roll 2 dice: 4,1. Play a location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws King Robert’s Chambers, cost 1. Robot pays 1 gold. This may be played as an attachment to the robot’s house card. We must make a decision check. Roll 2 dice: 4,3. The decision check table says "Yes", so we play the Chambers as an attachment to the robot’s house card.

Robot Credit Action 5: roll 2 dice: 5,4. Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Salladhor’s Crew, cost 4. Robot spends all his remaining gold and ends the marshalling phase. The robot could play another card with the Salladhor’s Crew ability, but he has no more credits left.

Robot’s Credit: 0 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Aegon’s Garden).

I initiate a Power challenge with The Titan’s Bastard. I check the "Robot Defending->Robot is second player" rules. The robot has one character who can defend this challenge, Melisandre (Robert’s Loyalists cannot defend due to my plot card). Melisandre cannot successfully defend this challenge, and since this is not a military challenge and not clearly the final challenge the robot will roll 1 dice: 1. Since this die roll is less than Melisandre’s strength (3), the robot chooses to leave the challenge undefended. I win the challenge, steal 2 power from the robot and take 1 for extra for the undefended challenge. I now initiate a military challenge with Horseback Hunters. The robot cannot defend so I claim 1 power and the robot must kill 2 characters for claim. The robot chooses Robert’s Loyalists (lowest cost) and Salladhor’s Crew (character without crest).

I cannot initiate any more challenges.

The robot now attacks. I roll 2 dice: 3,2. Checking the "Robot - Challenge Order Table" tells me the robot will initiate a Power challenge first, then Intrigue, then Military.

I check the "Robot Attacking ->Robot is Second player" rules. The robot considers a Power challenge first. I have one character eligible to defend a power challenge, Jhogo, so the "player’s score" is 3. The robot can only attack with Melisandre. She has strength 3. I roll 2 dice: 6,3. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Special" challenge and a dice roll of 9 is +1. Three plus one is four. The robot’s score is therefore 4. 4 is greater than (or equal to) 3, so the robot initiates the power challenge. I choose to defend but the robot wins and steals one power for his house, and Melisandre claims 1 power for renown.

Now the robot considers an Intrigue challenge. This time I have no characters who are eligible to defend the challenge, so the "player’s score" is 0. The robot can only attack with Salladhor’s Crew. The Crew has strength 3. I roll 2 dice: 6,3. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Special" challenge and a dice roll of 9 is +1. Three plus one is four. The robot’s score is therefore 4. 4 is greater than (or equal to) 0, so the robot initiates the intrigue challenge. The challenge is undefended so the robot claims one power for his house, and I must discard 1 card at random from my hand - I discard Rakharo’s Arakh.

Nothing of note occurs.

Score : Baratheon(robot) 5, Targaryen(me) 5

Picture of the game so far:

Scores are level (OK, I didn't play perfect), but I hope it gives you an idea of how the v2 rules differ from v1. All feedback welcome ! Cheers, Ricky.

EDIT: On the next turn the robot was winning by 13 to 6 after playing a few characters with renown and winning a power challenge and an intrigue challenge undefended. Next turn I played the Retaliation! plot card (4/8/2) and got out Summer Sea swiftly followed by Balerion the Black ... one turn later it was game over with another Balerian, Dany and The Titan's Bastard(beefed up with Blood of the Dragon) power challenge, and I beat the robot 15 to 10. A good game. The robot played and held onto his renown characters well, but I kinda stomped on him out of the blue with Balerion. Was a good fun way to test out my Targ deck. cheers, Ricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alanmb wrote:
Sounds fun Ricky. I'd like to join the playtesters for this variant. Can you please post a link to the rules or send a geek mail to my address with either the rules or a link to them?

Thanks,

Alan Bargender

Link to Rules File Page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sample Solitaire Game - v2 Rules

I’m playing Baratheon, the robot is playing Stark

Setup
I draw: Knight of Flowers, Herald of the Stag, Muster, Shadow’s Blessing, Retreat, Aegon’s Garden, and Selyse Baratheon.

I play Aegon’s Garden, Knight of Flowers, Selyse Baratheon

Robot’s Credit: 5 unallocated

For the robot’s setup I draw and play 1 location and 1 character as followsWar Host of the North (gulp!) and Great Keep. The robot draws 1 event card and places it face-up in his hand and adds one allocated credit to it. He draws Distinct Mastery.

I draw Retreat, Stormlands Fiefdoms and Devan Seaworth to make my hand back up to 7 cards.
The robot is given one more unallocated credit to make his total credits up to 7.

Robot’s Credit: 6 unallocated, 1 allocated (to Distinct Mastery).

ROUND 1
I reveal the Uneasy Truce (4/0/1) plot card.
The robot randomly reveals the Building Season (4/1/1) plot card.
Robot wins the initiative and chooses to be first player. And puts one allocated credit on it.
As a result of Building Season, Robot searches for Winterfell Castle. I search for Crossroads.

I draw: Herald of the Stag and Aegon’s Garden.

Robot’s Credit: 8 unallocated, 2 allocated

Robot takes 5 gold for income.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 3,1. Play a location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Bear Island, cost 3. Rolls a decision check (5,3) and kneels Bear Island to kill the Knight of Flowers. As a response, I discard Retreat to send him to my hand instead.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 5,1. Play a Location: discard 1 unallocated credit and draws Northern Feifdoms, cost 1.
The robot still has 1 gold left, and 6 unallocated credits left, so ...
Robot’s Credit Action 3: roll 2 dice: 3,1: Play a Location: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Street of Steel, cost 0.
Robot Credit Action 4: roll 2 dice: 4,3. Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Ghost. Kneels Northern Feifdoms and Street of Steel even though it’s the Robot and it would have gotten spotted those extra coins anyway.

My turn: I get 5 gold. I play Crossroads, Aegon’s Garden, Herald of the Stag (choosing Ser Davos Seaworth) and Shadow’s Blessing on Selyse Baratheon.

Robot’s Credit: 4 unallocated, 2 allocated

The robot now attacks. I roll 2 dice: 6,6. Checking the "Robot - Challenge Order Table" tells me the robot will initiate a Power challenge first, then Military, then Intrigue.

I don’t bother checking the robot’s attacking rules because the only symbol he has on his cards in Military and he’d have to pay me 2 credits he doesn’t have to declare a military challenge, due to Uneasy Truce.

My turn: Herald of the Stag initiates a Power challenge. He is unopposed, so I get 1 bonus Power. I play Support of the Kingdom and steal the Great Keep. I then initiate an Intrigue challenge with Selyse, and she is also unopposed, so I get an additional power. Robot loses an unallocated credit, and I roll a 6,4, so he also loses a character – Arya Stark

Robot wins dominance by a landslide and claims one power.

Score : Baratheon (me) 2, Stark (robot) 1

ROUND 2
I reveal the Good for the Gander (4/0/1) plot card.
The robot randomly reveals Valar Morghulis (2/0/0) plot card.
Everyone dies twice.

Robot wins the initiative and chooses to be first player.

Robot’s Credit: 3 unallocated, 2 allocated

I draw: Ser Davos Seaworth and Claw Isle.

Robot’s Credit: 5 unallocated, 2 allocated

Robot gets 2 gold.
Robot Credit Action 1: roll 2 dice: 5,2. Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and draws Wolf Herald, cost 2. Robot kneels Northern Feifdoms and pays 1 gold. Robot puts Jaqen H’ghar on top of the character pile.
Robot Credit Action 2: roll 2 dice: 1,1. Draw an event. Discards 1 unallocated credit. Draws Distraction and puts an allocated credit on it.
Robot Credit Action 3: roll 2 dice: 5,3. Play a character: discards 1 unallocated credit and here comes Jaqen. Ugh. Robot kneels King’s landing and uses the rest of its gold to put him in play.

My turn: 8 gold for me. Stormland Feifdoms. Kneel Feifdoms and pay 2 for Ser Davos. Devan Seaworth, Knight of Flowers. Robot uses Distraction and kneels Ser Davos.

Robot’s Credit: 2 unallocated, 2 allocated

The robot now attacks. I roll 2 dice: 4,1. Checking the "Robot - Challenge Order Table" tells me the robot will initiate a Power challenge first, then Intrigue, then Military.

I check the "Robot Attacking ->Robot is First player" rules. The robot considers a Power challenge first. I have no characters eligible to defend a power challenge so the "player’s score" is 0. The robot chooses Jaqen from the table. He has strength 3. I roll 2 dice: 3,1. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Power" challenge and a dice roll of 4 is -3. 3-3=0. 0 is equal to 0,, so the robot initiates the power challenge. I cannot defend, so the robot claims one power for unopposed, then gets a claim of 0 for his plot card. It puts the power on the Infamous Jaqen, then Vigilance stands him.
Now the robot considers an Intrigue challenge. I can defend with Devan, but Intimidate puts him at 0, so my score is 0. The robot can only attack with Jaqen. Rolls 5,4. The modifier on the "Robot - Aggressiveness modifier tables" for a "Intrigue" challenge and a dice roll of 9 is +1. Four plus one is five. The robot’s score is therefore 5. 5 is greater than (or equal to) 0, so the robot initiates the intrigue challenge. The challenge is undefended so the robot claims one power for his house, and that’s when I have to go to bed, because getting this far took me more than an hour.

It seems to work well, but it can be incredibly slow. I guess that might mostly be because I’m fairly unfamiliar with the cards, but this took a long time to get even this far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:

It seems to work well, but it can be incredibly slow. I guess that might mostly be because I’m fairly unfamiliar with the cards, but this took a long time to get even this far.

Many thanks for your report.. real good. It's good to see someone else putting this into action.

Yes, it is slow. You have to think for the robot, but my guess it is not so much slow because of unfamiliar cards, but more slow because of unfamiliar with the robot (and writing it all down makes it really really slow!). I've found after a while you get used to what to do and things can really speed up. But, yes, it is still very slow compared with 2-player.

Great job, cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, the writing probably added a lot of time to the process. I'll try it again later this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, time for a game vs. robot (hereby renamed Aegon, since he's playing Targaryen).
I will be using random.org for my 'dice rolls'.
Here goes, Targaryen mirror match. Me with humans and him with dragons.

Setup: Aegon uses Heir to the Iron Throne agenda, and names Intrige, because that's the only one that makes sense for him.
Aegon gets one chaterer and one attachment. So out comes... Drogon(QoD) and Summer Sea. He still has one gold left, so out comes 9 - Daenerys Targaryen(QoD). This is going to get ugly real fast.
Due to a terrible opening hand, I put out Titan's Bastard and Plaza of Pride. Aegon draws Field of Fire and gets 6 unallocated credits.

Let's do this.

Round 1
Plot: I use Threat from the East. He uses Spending the Winter Stores. I pick me to be first player. I choose that each player discards three random cards then draws three cards. I lose Dissention, Forever Burning, and Stormcrows. He discards Dragon Chaser, Rhaegal(QoD), and True Queen's Harbinger. I search my deck and take Aegon's Blade (Stole your sword!). He takes Crown of Mereen.
Draw: We draw.
Marshalling: I put down Summer Sea. I attach a dupe of Plaza of Pride. I play Hired Swords and put Aegon's Blade on them. I'm done.
Aegon discards Summer Sea and plays Viserion(QoD) at two cost. He then plays Eastern Fiefdoms. He then kneels Eastern Fiefdoms to play Yunkai. He then plays Khal Drogo(Core) He now has 4 credits and no gold.
Challenge: I initiate a Military challenge with Hired Swords, and kneel Plaza of Pride to give him Deadly until the end of the Phase. Aegon kneels Yunkai, giving Viserion Renown until the end of the phase. Using the robot is second, defense rules, Aegon ends up defending with Khal Drogo and Viserion. I then kneel one influence to put Horseback Archers in play and attacking. I win the challenge, and Aegon must kill one character. Using the Defending character table, Khal Drogo bites it, then Deadly causes Viserion to die as well. I must return the Titan's Bastard and Horseback Archers to my hand. My challenge phase is over.
Aegon considers in this order: Military, Power, Power (Power will always replace Intrigue, because of Heir to the Iron Throne agenda). He initiates a military challenge with Drogon and doesn't kneel, due to Dany's effect. He collect one unopposed power, then kills my Hired Swords. Titan's Bastard then comes into play. Aegon then does a power challenge with Dany and Drogon. I defend with Titan's Bastard. Dany collects one power from Renown. Then Aegon initiates another Power challenge with Drogon, and collects one more power for being unopposed.
Dominance: Aegon wins dominance 4-1.
Stand & Taxation go off without incident. Aegon is winning 4-0. Bad juju.

Round 2
Plot: I use Muster the Realm. He uses Focused Offense. Aegon chooses to be first player.
Marshalling: Aegon draws Viserion(QoD), but since there is one in his dead pile, it just sits in his hand. He draws Dance With Dragons and immediately uses it. He retrieves Drogon by the Importand Character rules. There are no rules concerning this, but it would be stupid to not immediately attach Drogon's duplicate to himself. Aegon kneels Eastern Fiefdoms and plays Rhaegal(QoD). He then plays Initiate of the Citadel. He now has 2 credits and no gold.
I play Eastern Fiefdoms. I kneel Eastern Fiefdoms and discard Summer Sea to put Thundering Cavalry in play. Initiate of the Citadel gets discarded from play. I'm done.
Challenges: Aegon cannot initiate Military or Intrigue challenges (due to my plot card and his agenda, respectively), and he can only perform one challenge (due to his plot card) so his order is Power. Using the 'robot is first player' attacking rules, Aegon initiates a power challenge with Drogon, by an aggression of 6-2. It does not kneel because of that infernal Daenerys. He Stealths by Thundering Cavalry. He kneels Yunkai to give Drogon Renown until the end of the phase. I do not defend, so he gets one power from being unopposed, and one power for Renown. His claim is 3, but I have not power on my house card. His challenges are over.
I initiate a Power challenge with Titan's Bastard. He cannot defend due to his plot card, so I get one power for being unopposed, and one power from his house card for claim. I initiate a Military Challenge with Thundering Cavalry, and get one power for being unopposed, one power for Renown, and kill one character for claim. He chooses to kill Drogon and discards the duplicate to save it.
Dominance: Aegon wins 11-0.
Stand & Taxation go off without incident. Aegon is still winning, but now it is 4-6. A bit better.

Round 3
Plot: I use Spending the Winter Stores. He uses Fury of the Dragon. He picks himself to be first player. We each get an attachment from our decks - he picks another Crown of Mereen, I pick Flame-Kissed.
Marshalling: Aegon gets 5 gold. He kneels Eastern Fiefdoms to play Eastern Fiefdoms. He then draws and attaches a duplicate of Daenerys Targaryen to herself. Aegon then draws and attaches a duplicate of Yunkai. Aegon kneels Eastern Fiefdoms to play Astapoor. Now that Aegon no longer has any unallocated credits, he starts delving into his hand. The only card he can play is Crown of Mereen, and he puts it and its duplicate on Daenerys Targaryen. It is now Summer. He still has 3 gold left, but nothing further to marshal.
I get 4 gold. I play Temple of the Graces. I pay 4 gold to play Grey Worm and attach two duplicates to him. Joy. I'm done.
Challenge: Aegon's challenge order is Power, Military, Power. He ends up announcing a Power challenge with Drogon and Rhaegal, at an aggression of 7-2. Neither of them have to kneel. He names Grey Worm and Thundering Cavalry for stealth. Robot kneels Yunkai to give Drogon Renown until the end of the phase. I defend with the Titan's Bastard. Aegon plays Field of Fire and Titan's Bastard dies. Drogon gets on power for Renown, Drogon and Rhaegal get one power each due to Rhaegal's ability, and Aegon claims one power from my house. He then initiates a Military challenge with Drogon, with an aggression of 8-3. He kneels Astapoor to give him +2 Strength. He selects Thundering Cavalry to Sneak by. I defend Drogon with Grey Worm. I discard a dupe of Grey Worm to save him from death. Aegon then initiates another power challenge, this time just with Drogon at an aggression of 7-0. He chooses Thundering Cavalry for Stealth. He gets one Power for being unopposed, one for Renown, and one from my house for claim. Aegon's done.
I announce a Military challenge with Thundering Cavalry. I kneel Plaza of Pride to give him Deadly until the end of the phase. Eventually, after much calculation, Aegon chooses to defend with just Rhaegal. There doesn't seem to be a rule that specifically addresses this, but since he only has one participating character and the attacker has more Deadly characters, he SHOULD choose the participating character for Claim, so that Deadly won't have anybody left to kill. I then claim one power for renown. I'm done. (I made a mistake here, and used the 'robot is second' challenge rules. Although pretty much the only thing that would have changed was that I wouldn't have gotten the power from renown.)
Dominance: Aegon wins 10-0.
Stand & Taxation go off without incident. Aegon is winning 13-3. This is bad. Very bad.

Round 4
Plot: I use Focused Offense (my highest initiative, because if he does a power challenge, I will lose.). He uses Summoning Season. I choose to be first player. We each search for a character - I get Daario Naharis. He gets Daenerys Targaryen(QoD).
Marshalling: I get 5 gold. I kneel Eastern Feifdoms and pay two gold for Daario. I pay two gold to play High Ground.I have one gold remaining, but I am finished.
Aegon gets 4 gold. He kneels Eastern Feifdoms to play Qarth. He kneels Eastern Feifdoms and pays one gold to play Quartheen Fanatic. He attaches a copy of Daenerys to her. He still has three gold, but no more unallocated credits and he can't play Viserion. He is done.
Challenge: Since I can only initiate one challenge and cannot defend, I'm going all in. I initiate a Military challenge with Daario, Grey Worm, and Thundering Cavalry. I kneel Plaza of Pride to give Thundering Cavalry Deadly. Aegon kneels Qarth to give Drogon an Intrigue icon and Deadly. Aegon defends with Quartheen Fanatic. I win the challenge and with my 3 claim he has to kill Drogon and Quartheen Fanatic, and discard one dupe of Daenerys. Grey Worm gets a gold token placed upon him, and Thundering Cavalry gets a power from Renown. I'm done.
Aegon only has Power and Intrigue, and since he can't initiate intrigue challenges, his order is Power, Power. He initiates a Power challenge with Danerys. I kneel High Ground to stand Thundering Cavalry, but I cannot defend due to my house card. He claims one power for being unopposed, one power for renown, and one power from my house for claim. He has no characters left, so he is finished.
Dominance: I remove a gold from Aegon's pool to pay for Daario. I win dominance, 7-2.
Stand & Taxation go off wihout incident. Aegon is winning 12-4. That's better than the 13-3 from last turn. Plus his dragons are all dead. I feel a change in the wind.

Round 5
Plot: I use the Power of Arms. He uses Threat from the East. He chooses himself as first player. I could make a decision check here, but the only logical play for Aegon is to choose the 'Discard then draw' option of TftE. He discards his useless copy of Viserion, I discard Khal Drogo, Flame-Kissed, and Thundering Cavalry. Balls. Then we each draw three.
Marshalling: Aegon gets 4 gold. I realize there aren't specific rules to deal with cards with Shadows, but it's not too hard to figure them out, so Aegon plays a character into shadows for 2 gold. Aegon kneels Eastern Feifdoms to play Mereen. Aegon plays True-Queen's Harbinger. He then plays a second character into shadows. That leaves him with 0 gold, so it's my turn.
I get 4 gold. I kneel Eastern Feifdoms to play Eastern Feifdoms. I pay 4 gold to play Jorah's Cohorts. I'm done.
Challenge: A few decision checks later, and Aegon brings one card out of shadows, a White Hatchling. I guess I haven't killed all of his dragons after all. He considers challenges in this order: Power, Military, Power. After a lot of checks and math, Aegon initiates no challenges.
I initiate a military challenge with Grey Worm. He defends with White Hatchling. He kneels Yunkai, Qarth, Astapor, and Mereen, giving that little hatchling tons of benefits. Unfortunately, they're not enough, and I win the challenge. He has to satisfy my claim of 2, and does so by discarding a duplicate of Dany and killing True-Queen's Harbinger. Grey Worm gets another gold token. I initiate a Power challenge with Jorah's Cohorts. It ends up going unopposed, so I collect one renown for that and one from his house card for winning. I then get to discard one attachment, and there goes a duplicate of Crown of Mereen. I declare an Intrigue challenge with Daario and kneel High Ground to stand Jorah's Cohorts. Now, strictly going by the robot's rules, it would defend here, but not only would it lose the challenge, Deadly would take care of his last copy of Danerys, and basically seal his fate. So I'm going to take the High Road myself and declare that he doesn't defend. So my challenge goes unopposed, and I get one power. He would then randomly discard two cards, but he only has one, so there goes another Viserion.
Dominance: I did not plan ahead very well, and Daario is discarded from play. I win 10-3.
Stand & Taxation: Decision check finally goes his way during Stand phase, and Black Hatchling comes out of shadows. Otherwise, goes without incident. He is still winning 12-6, but he's on his way out.

Round 6
Plot: I choose Threat from the North, he chooses Noose and Swordpoint. I choose him to be first player. Threat from the North discards both of his hatchlings. Boo-yah!
Marshalling: Aegon gets 4 gold. He draws Maegi's Promise. He gets a dupe of Mereen, and attaches it. Silly random numbers, you screwed him.
I get three gold. I kneel Eastern Fiefdoms and pay 2 to play Pike Phalanx. I'm done.
Challenge: His order is... Power, Power. He initiates no challenges.
I initiate a military challenge with Grey Worm. He can't defend. I get one power for unopposed, and Dany dies. Grey Wind gets another gold token. I declare a power challenge with Thundering Cavalry, Pike Phalanx, and Jorah's Cohorts. I get one power for being unopposed, one power for renown, and three power for the claim (2+1 due to Pike Phalanx).
Dominance: I win 1-0. Aegon kneels one influence and uses Maegi's Promise to return Drogon from the dead pile to his hand.
Stand & Taxation go off without incident. I am now winning 11-6.

Round 7
Plot: No choice, I must choose Wildfire Assault. He must choose Mad King's Legacy. I pick me to be first player. Jorah's Cohorts die due to Wildfire Assault.
Marshalling: I get 4 gold. I kneel Eastern Feifdoms and pay 1 gold to play Shade of the Evening on Grey Worm, and then pay 2 for Hired Swords. I'm finished.
Aegon gets 4 gold. He kneels Eastern Feifdoms to play Sun Stroke on Thundering Cavalry. He then pays two gold to put a character into shadows. He still has unallocated credit and gold, so he kneels Eastern Feifdoms and uses his remaining gold to play Drogon.
Challenge: Aegon brings Green Hatchling out of shadows. I initiate a Military challenge using Grey Worm. He defends with Drogon and Green Hatchling. He kneels Yunkai, Qarth, and Mereen to give Drogon many abilities I will not list here. I kneel Eastern Fiefdoms to put Horseback Archers into play and attacking. I win the challenge, so he kills Green Hatchling to fulfil the claim. Grey Worm gets another gold token, and Shade of the Evening allows me to draw Street of Steel. Hmm... bad tactics. I could have done better stuff. Oh well, I initiate a power challenge with Pike Phalanx, Hired Swords, and Thundering Cavalry. I get one power for an unopposed challenge, one power for renown, and two claimed power because of the Pikemen. Sun Stroke would have killed Thundering Cavalry at the end of the phase, but it doesn't matter, because I win instantly, 15-4.

And that's game. Got a bit hairy there, but the robot lost in the end. Got too many locations out, but that's random numbers for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Question, how do you keep track of the credits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use red and green counters (from another game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ricky, i am a new recruit in the AGOT world. I dont even posses any card yet - just had a look at "general rules" to see if I liked it, and then had a look at your solitaire robot, since i have no other friend to play with.

But this game seems to rock and i HAVE to find a way to play it even solo (apart from the online OCTGN)!

So i was trying to understand the reasons for some of the choices you made for the robot: in fact, i am sure they were tailored around some "common sense" behaviours that most of the players have in particular circumstances, so that the robot seems to play as smart as it can. Understanding that link i can even learn to play better, and maybe also use less memory for the way robot has to play, since those behaviours are logical.

In particular, reading official AGOT rules, i have not clear 1st and 3rd rules you decided for the robot, in every case where the robot is defending against a challenge it has not any chance to win(no matter if first or second):

· If this is a military challenge, the robot will always defend.
· If this is clearly the final challenge, the robot will always defend.
· Otherwise, roll 1 dice. If the dice roll is greater than or equal to the defending character’s strength + power then the challenge will be defended with just this one character. Otherwise the challenge goes undefended.

Questions are 2 at the moment:

- Why a robot ALWAYS defends with a character - even if going to lose - but only if it is a military challenge? As far as i could see in the rules, in fact, the only thing you get defending with a character and losing is avoiding the "undefended challenge" and the 2 powers to the opponent, BUT that happens whatever the challenge type... what is it so bad that can happen with an undefended military challenge and not with undefended power challenge or undefended intrigue challenge? Why are you so scared about an undefended military challenge and not so much about the other 2 types?

- With the roll of 1 dice, many characters cannot be "sacrificed" even before rolling, cause they have strength major than 6. Is that ok? Was this a way to avoid to sacrifice characters, apart from the very weak ones? Also, isnt the power always 1?

Thank you, forgive me if i am a dumb and answers are obvious, but i am learning and dont even have the game yet. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alessandro,

a good couple of questions - it's clear you're getting a good handle on the game, even before you have played !

For your first question, if you are going to lose a military challenge then you are [most likely] going to lose ( kill ) one [ or more ] of your characters, so you might as well have that character partcipate in the challenge before killing him/her. Make sense ? I believe that was my logic.

For the second question, the number of power on a character can be zero, one, or more - characters can hold claimed power as well as your house card - and, yes, we want to hold on to characters with power and strength. I hope this makes sense too ?

I hope you get the game and can enjoy the solo. if you want to play someone online/remotely then the core game is good, as you'll share cards with someone else and you may be able to set up a remote game, or there may be a Vassal module which you could use.

P.S. there are very FEW characters with strength of 6 or more - there are some (only 26 on a agot.dbler.com search)

cheers, Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chadek
msg tools
First of all, I want to say thank you very much to Ricky! This robot idea is ingenious and elegantly solves the problem of "the player" usually knowing what is in the "other player's" hand while playing a solitaire game. I plan on trying the robot out in the next few weeks and report back with comments, but in the meantime, I had a few questions/comments.

1) Under attacking rules for the robot when it is the second player, you say that if the player's score is greater than zero, and the robot decides yes on its decision check, to add an additional eligible character to the attack. If I read this right, say the player has one eligible defender and the robot attacks with multiple characters , the robot adds an extra attacker regardless of the player's score, as long as it is at least one.

This seems illogical to me because even if the player only has a 1 strength character out, the robot would still add another attacker anyways. It seems like it would be preferable for the robot not to send an additional character to have a better chance of winning other challenges or dominance (since it would already be attacking with an overwhelming force).

2) Under the robot defending when it is the first player, you mention conditional statements based upon whether it is clearly the last challenge. I was wondering if you could clarify that statement. I.e. is the challenge clearly being the last challenge when the player only has one option left? Would there be any other conditions that would qualify as clearly the last challenge? I believe there's always some strategy in picking the order of challenges you initiate to keep your opponent guessing if you will do any additional challenges that round or go for winning dominance.

3) Under the robot defending when it is the second player, in the part where you mention the sum of the strengths of the robot's participating characters minus the modifier, I assume that if the modifier was negative, you would add the negative number, and thus subtract the modifier from the strengths. Is that correct?

4) In the robot important location and attachment table, you list "limited X per deck" as less important than a "limited" location/attachment. It seems like the "limited X per deck" are usually more valuable than the "limited" cards, so I would think the "limited X per deck" should be one spot higher.

Please let me know if any of my questions were unclear as it can sometimes be hard to convey what you mean through text alone.

By the way, my comments are all about very minor things and overall you've done a fantastic job! Kudos to you for helping all of us AGoT players without anyone else to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments ! Glad you like the look of it. It's great you have raised some questions and comments, because through more playing, more trial, and more ideas, we can hopefully make the rules better and simpler.

re (1): yes, the idea of this logic was to have the robot, sometimes, when it pips the player in a challenge, to back up the victory by adding even more strength, just in case the player pulls some nasty Event out of their hand and causes the robot to lose (e.g. the player boosts their defending character's strength by 1). i.e. the robot is thinking no challenge is an automatic win, and sometimes it is better to over force a challenge to make it harder to counter. But, maybe this is too cautious. Maybe the decision check should be different, to make it something it does less often. But the idea is to make the robot less predictable to beat. Maybe see how it plays out. Maybe over-strength challenges are not such a good idea, maybe they are (?). Any experience on this point welcome, so everyone please comment !!

re (2): yes, "clearly the last challenge" is when the player has no other options left. e.g. military and intrigue aleady done, only power left; or no characters left standing to initiate another challenge type. Now, I realise maybe this might never be totally clear..maybe there is an Event which allows you to initiate more than one challenge of the same type, or to stand a character who has already participated. But, the rule should be interpreted as "clearly... according to the cards currently in play". Hopefully this clarifies(?)

re (3): Example: If sum of strengths was ten [10], and the modifier was minus three [-3], then the net strength minus the modifier is thirteen [10-(-3) = 10+3 = 13]

re (4): OK, I'll take a look at the card DB. I might have been influenced by playtesting with my limited card collection..!

Look forward to hearing how you get on. Cheers, Ricky. [EDIT:for typos]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chadek
msg tools
for #1, that makes sense now, especially after playing last night because I was playing as Greyjoy and had locations/items that would obviously give bonus strength to my defenders, so adding in the extra attackers makes more sense to me now. I was just curious about the logic behind that rule and that does seem like a good way to account for any surprises.

#2 that does answer my question - I thought that was the meaning of "clearly the last challenge", but I wanted to make sure. I wasn't thinking about the cards that can add extra challenges (probably not important to worry about), just the basic definition of "clearly".

#3 that is how I interpreted the minus a negative, thanks.

#4 For this one, I was just thinking that maybe Street of Steel (for instance) might be better than say a Great Keep, but I don't know for sure. It seemed like maybe FFG thought those cards were more powerful, so they limited them to one in a deck (maybe?). Just a thought and the choice between the two is most likely a trivial one

The first of two games I played was Martell (Me) / Baratheon (Robot) and I won in a shutout, but I had some good characters in play and I kept rolling for the robot to play locations for some reason. So, that was probably a fluke.

The next game was Greyjoy (Me) /Stark (Robot) and the game was a lot closer. I started out strong and was about to win when the robot came back from nowhere and almost beat me into submission. It was only through a lucky combination of cards that let me pull off a last minute victory.

So, overall it looks like the robot should be a good challenge and keep the player on his/her toes. I'll update if I run across anything major in future playthroughs, but it feels to me like this version is already pretty freakin' amazing considering how complex the game is and how many different situations the robot logic can handle. Thanks again for all your hard work as I'm sure this took many hours to create and perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fletcher
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The limit one per deck locations are generally weaker than "limited" locations. They are restricted for the same reason the "Moxes" are restricted in Magic: to help prevent degenerate starts. If you could run 3x of all the streets, you would get many setup hands with 3+ locations, which gives you a huge advantage. It still happens with them being one per deck, but closer to 1% of the time than 25%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to express my thanks for this wonderful solitaire variant, which you clearly put a lot of thought, time, and effort into -- well done! Your video walk-throughs were truly a nice touch, and were most helpful.

I've just kind of re-discovered this "next generation" of CCGs, having played more than my share of Magic: The Gathering and Legend of the 5 Rings back in the day, along with so many others I can't remember them all (some that do come back to mind are Dune, Doomtown, Mythos, Warcraft, the original Star Wars, Star Trek, BattleTech...).

Anyway, being primarily a solitaire player, I generally played such games solo by constructing and then playing decks against each other, which was actually quite fun. But... what a pleasure to now have a "robot" opponent to play against in this fantastic game!

Looking forward to the arrival of the deluxe expansions for the 4 core decks, so that'll also bring back in the additional (and quite addictive) pleasure of deck construction. And it'll sure be fun playing against each of those decks as they take on the role of "Quintain."

Also awaiting the arrival of the core set of Android: Netrunner, along with a couple of expansions. Life is good.

Thanks again! (And a well deserved geek gold tip for your efforts...!)

[EDITED: to correct one grammatical error]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elad wrote:
Just wanted to express my thanks for this wonderful solitaire variant,

Thank you ! (a bit belated, I know!)

I should try to devote some more time to this and keep it alive... with some "living" rules. It's tough as I've not been able to keep up with all the latest expansions, but strangely I reached a point where I had so much I didn't feel the need to keep going, especially playing solo, as you have noone to keep up with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayati
Sri Lanka
Colombo 2
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I tried a game with these rules, it was a lot of fun, thanks a lot! Two things came up for the AI that we could think about. First was discarding cards, the AI discarded some powerful characters due to the randomization process. Perhaps a priority order could be used there also if the known cards are good ones? And then the Plot card for the Starks that kills all the characters in play, perhaps if the Stark player has more characters in play then as a special case the Plot card should be changed?

I will feed back further after more Targaryen versus Stark games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayati
Sri Lanka
Colombo 2
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first game, where I won 15-6, this time I lost 15-14; fantastic!

I noted the following areas where we perhaps need some tweaks:

1) If the AI attacks and the defense strength is zero then I think it should use its weakest character for the attack, as opposed to its strongest. Likewise, it should perhaps use its minimum strength that can beat a defensive score after considering the aggression modifier, rather than always adding the next best card until it hits the score required to attack.

2) The Deadly skill can be a problem. For example, by defending a non-military challenge against Deadly characters, characters can be killed for the sake of not giving up power for an unopposed challenge. In my game I adjusted the AI behavior for this. I need to think through some examples before I can express this as an algorithm for the AI.

3) Apart from the above, when considering whether to oppose a challenge, maybe further variables are needed. For example, for an Intrigue challenge, the AI may be more likely to defend it it fears losing very powerful cards from its visible hand.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether the above concerns can be practically death with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.