Robert Seibold
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I have read the instructions several times but I could not find solo rules, including how many investigators you play with. It seems to me that the more investigators you use the easier the game gets...is that correct? How could it be any other way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. Because each investigator turn advances the clock 1/4 turn, the number of investigators shouldn't matter a whole lot. If I was playing solitaire, I might go with four heroes, which might make it easier to remember when midnight should happen (unless something causes you to advance the clock).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of investigators doesn't make a huge difference, since you can't really pool resources, and the assisting rule is only of very very marginal utility. So you still get 4 actions per mythos card, no matter how many guys you bring.

In some ways, it's easier to have fewer people. For example, say you're the doctor playing solo. You get to add a stamina every single action, for a maximum of 4 stamina per mythos card. Or consider Kate's SCIENCE! ability, that prevents monsters from appearing on her turn. If every turn is her turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of investigators can matter A LOT. Consider this. Suppose that every task does 1 Sanity damage to you (as a cost, for failures, whatever). Assume that you have a single investigator with a Sanity of 3. You'll be constantly healing, and taking any damage will put you at risk of getting knocked out by high sanity tasks. This type of "spread the pain" is also important against Ithaqua.

With more investigators you can spread the damage around (for a while, at least), and you can optimize adventure attempts (by sending high Sanity people to tasks that might do them a lot of Sanity damage). Further, when you have only one adventurer you have only one ability. You can't necessarily min-max by matching the investigator to the adventure. With more characters you can say, "hey, this one requires lots of peril, and your guy is better and generating peril results".

Further, with more investigators, you get more starting resources. Starting resources are important for a few reasons. First, if you are in the same adventure as another investigator you can play your cards on his turn. "A player may spend 1 or more Common Items, Unique Items,
or Spells before any roll while his Investigator marker is on
an Adventure card". Second, there are just more free cards with more characters. Third, when you run out of cards it's can sometimes stall out your game against difficult cards -- as long as somebody has cards it can "grease the wheels".

The one thing that counterbalances this a bit is that card resources get more divided up with more characters. You have to weigh out free starting cards vs. division of cards acquired later.

I played against Ithaqua last night, and I really would have preferred to divide up the unique items and spells among four characters rather than 2, to spread the damage a little thinner.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some investigators where playing them solo can break the game. Change Carolyn Fern's, Vincent Lee's, and Mandy Thompson's abilities to once per day instead of once per turn. Kate Winthrop's should be once per day excluding Midnight effects (although there is plenty of debate about this one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
Or consider Kate's SCIENCE! ability, that prevents monsters from appearing on her turn. If every turn is her turn...

Also, turn order will affect her ability as well. In a four player game, she is far less powerful going first, second, or third instead of last (if you assume her ability should affect Mythos and Midnight effects). The assumption with her should be her ability does not affect those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any advantage a solo character has is usually balanced by the fact that they have to carry the entire burden of Sanity and Stamina losses.

Anyway, even if some characters are more powerful than others in certain circumstances, does it really matter? If you don't find the game challenging enough with some characters, don't use them. Or if you find it too hard with others, then set them aside for your more challenging games.

I can't understand why people would be bothered by this, especially in a game like this. Since you're playing against the game, you can alter the rules as you see fit to make it easier or harder. No one can make you play a certain way, and if there aren't other players, it's entirely up to your own discretion.

Do video game review sites complain that a game is too easy / too hard when they can just adjust the difficulty setting? (Actually, they probably do.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:

Do video game review sites complain that a game is too easy / too hard when they can just adjust the difficulty setting? (Actually, they probably do.)

I guess it's the inclusion of "official" variants or difficulty levels (e.g. a lot of video games [like you mention], Pandemic, Fury of Dracula, etc) that for some people (myself included) give the impression (correct or incorrect) that the designers realized their could be problems with level of difficulty for some players, and took steps to address this. Whereas in this game (presumably) these potential imbalances were overlooked or missed by designers/playtesters, so customers can seem a little ticked off.

Haven't played the game yet (but have pre-ordered it, just need to pick it up!), but I am appreciative of all the reviews/comments I've read - so at least I can know a little bit what to expect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fair point.

But I do worry that people sometimes get obsessed over "officialness" in games. One advantage board games have over video games is how easily they can be modified to suit our needs. Whether or not those changes are official should only matter in a tournament setting.

But for a game like this, if I run into a problem (and I haven't yet), I just find a solution and move on. Because the game certainly isn't going to care if I do it my way.

BGG is a wonderful site. It shouldn't be a shackle though. That's really the only thing that concerns me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:

But I do worry that people sometimes get obsessed over "officialness" in games. One advantage board games have over video games is how easily they can be modified to suit our needs. Whether or not those changes are official should only matter in a tournament setting.

But for a game like this, if I run into a problem (and I haven't yet), I just find a solution and move on. Because the game certainly isn't going to care if I do it my way.

BGG is a wonderful site. It shouldn't be a shackle though. That's really the only thing that concerns me.

Very well spoken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seibold
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I am not sure how the topic got here. All I asked was if it was easier to win with more investigators...not about rule changes or following the rules 100%...

It sounds like the jury is still out on if it is easier to win a game by playing more investigators...

It seems to me that by not having the assisting option when using only one investigator then that alone is enough to determine mathamatically that any number more than one makes it easier to win...be that 2,3,4,etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Playing a solo character, and then adding a character per game a few times, you see it is simply easier with more. With three, one could heal, another can knock off a tough monster while casting a spell used by the third to swoop in and take out a nightmare adventure before midnight strikes.

Certainly playing a single character is more challenging, but I find playing at least two offers more interesting choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.