Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Ankh-Morpork tonight, my wife, my daughter, and me. My better half and I started off collecting /lots/ of money, which left my poor daughter totally perplexed, since earning money was her victory condition.

But I was collecting money, partly as bluff and partly to be able to afford houses to give me more secure control of areas - my victory condition being control of five areas.

My wife was collecting money by discarding cards at every opportunity. First I though she was going for trouble-marker win (we did have between 7 and 9 on the board at one time), then I thought she was targeting the money-win - but, no, she was just spinning out time to win when we reached the end of the deck of cards.

Clearly a chaotic game, with luck playing a major part in the outcome. (How else can I explain my continued failure to win a newly-purchased game the first time it comes to the table?) My daughter has only just stopped complaining about how she had no chance of winning. But I'm sure she'll cheer up next time around (provided her luck changes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games two and three at lunchtime today (okay, mid-afternoon since we skipped work*) ... and it's Wife 3 vs Daughter 0 vs me 0. How does she do it?

Well, I'm useless. I failed to count the number of trouble markers accurately. I blame the spelling mistake on the Player Card: 'between seven and none' leaves a lot of confusion in my mind. I also blame the cards I had ... but then again you would if you'd just played a quick 5 minute game.

The third game was longer ... but I was still useless. Both my daughter and my wife thought I was going for either 1) the Deck End victory condition, since I was turning cards as fast as they would come; or 2) the Money Grab win, since I was collecting money like there was a financial crisis going on. I couldn't be going for Control-of-Five-Areas, because I hardly had any pieces on the board and all of them were outnumbered. But I /was/ going for control and - worse - I couldn't stop my Wife spreading her minions to ten areas to win.

Ho, hum. One day I might win a game... but then my daugther is saying that too.

*I own my own company, so I won't get fired. Just no business
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 4 and - at last - a victory for me!!

My wife's stranglehold on my gaming career* has been broken. Wife 4 vs Me 1 vs Daughter 0

I had the task of wasting time so all the cards ran out. Gimme £10 from the bank and £10 from that other card that works like the bank but is called something else ('Sovereign Debt Crisis' maybe?). Buy lots of houses, place many minions, control many regions... wait, I would have won the game by now, if I had had any other character card. Damn!

But my wife was collecting money - and I had it all - and my daughter was causing trouble (nothing new there). Fortunately, just as she laid the 10th black marker, she had to pick up the last card from the draw deck - handing me victory! That annoyed my daughter.

*am I taking this too seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.