Subject: New Technology Levels - Upgrades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
Rules-Quote 9.10.4.To Upgrade a Ship, it must be in a System with a Ship Yard etc....The Ship must not move for an entire turn(it must begin and end the turn at the Ship Yard).

Question: By Logic and by Post from another BGG-User, one ROUND=three TURNS(=3PHASES)+EcoPhase. Word -TURN- in Rule 9.10.4 is therefore one Phase. Argh.

Example: Say I Upgrade a specific Tech in Eco-Phase, then when I'm the Active Player, say I move in my Turn(say 1st Phase) with 2 Combat-Ships into the System with a SY(that SY has any SY Tech,HullSize Capability doesnt matter),and to benefit from the Upgrade, these 2 Ships cannot be moved until my next TURN(=2nd Phase), but in my other two TURNS(=2nd and 3rd Phase) they can move again. They are not blocked for one ROUND.

Am I playing this correct? (I need now another Turn of coffee to recover from my confused Phase in this Round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example you would move the 2 Combat ships into the system with the SY on your first turn (phase in your terminology). Then on your second turn, you must leave the ships at the SY and pay the upgrade cost (no movement allowed). Finally, on your third turn you can move them again.

That is how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
In your example you would move the 2 Combat ships into the system with the SY on your first turn (phase in your terminology). Then on your second turn, you must leave the ships at the SY and pay the upgrade cost (no movement allowed). Finally, on your third turn you can move them again.

That is how it works.

You just beat me too it. That is exactly right.

Turn One = Move to Ship yard
Turn Two = Remain at Ship yard for turn
Turn Three = Move as normal
Economy Phase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminology is important, yeah We have phases, turns and rounds, and also a sequence of play.

The sequence of play is the complete sequence of three turns per player and then an economic phase - essentially, the whole thing that encompasses all of the stuff in 3.0. There doesn't seem to be a name for one iteration in that sequence.

The term phase is used in two contexts:

1) Parts of a turn (movement phase, combat phase, exploration phase)
2) The economic phase

A turn is the sequence of the three in-turn phases (movement phase, combat phase, exploration phase) of one player. Each player gets a turn before the turn marker progresses, and when the turn marker progresses after turn 3 an economic phase starts, and then the turn marker is reset to turn 1. Because for an upgrade, ships have to remain stationary for a turn, they can't move in turn 2 if they moved to the shipyard in turn 1 and they want to upgrade in turn 2. They can't move in turn 1 and then upgrade right away (still in turn 1), because they moved.

A round is used in merely in the context of combat rounds. A combat round is one segment of combat in which all unscreened ships from A to E fire at each other.

The terms are used very consistently throughout the rules, so I suggest not using "phase" here. I, too, am guilty of using "round" for an iteration of the sequence of play, it just makes sense to me, but the rules do not talk of rounds in that context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent summary haslo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Trombik
Switzerland
Zuerich
flag msg tools
badge
Have I answered all your Questions and provided good Customer Service? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! That's the Paradox, my Friend!
mbmbmbmb
Thx All and may the ROUND be with You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haslo - excellent summary of the confusion in naming conventions which have been on my mind lately.

I have a remedy in mind but i'll put it in its own post tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice in the game, once on one of the prod sheets and once on the back of the box, the larger turn or round is called the Economic Turn. There are probably other examples, those two just come to mind.

The shorter turns are just "Turn 1", "Turn 2" or "Turn 3" or just "turns".

I've noticed players here at bgg.com call the larger turn the "Econ Turn" and that seems like the best at this point. I suspect Jim will clear it up in the Living Rules.

The same rules problem happened to me with MS Pipelines and movement. If an MS moves, other ships must wait until next turn to use the MS for it's movement bonus. Which type of turn? The larger "econ turn" that spans the whole game year? or the shorter turn1, turn2...?

The answer for me so far has been the shorter turns. (just like in the examples given to you above)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing these both differently and maybe I can get some clarification.

For upgrades I have been counting the economic turn as a turn, so if I move my ships to a shipyard on turn 3 I can use the economic turn to upgrade, then move again on turn four. I have liked this rule because it simulates bringing the ships in during a "production time" when ships are being built, it also adds a little more strategic thought what to do with those obsolete ships (If I go on the offense I can't have my free upgrade turn).

MS pipelines on the other hand I treat slightly differently. The Economic turn does not count as a turn and they get flipped at the start of turn 1. This way pipeline that move to a planet on turn three do not get the extra 1CP bonus during the economic phase.

This seemed right to me at the time, but now I am seeing that I am treating these two situations different - if I had a choice I would keep the Economic Phase as a turn in both cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think that the economic phase is not supposed to count as a turn - it represents the military-industrial complex output during your last 3 turns worth of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

I think that the economic phase is not supposed to count as a turn - it represents the military-industrial complex output during your last 3 turns worth of time.

I agree with this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
cedric18 wrote:
arkayn wrote:

I agree with this interpretation.

That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For upgrades I have been counting the economic turn as a turn, so if I move my ships to a shipyard on turn 3 I can use the economic turn to upgrade, then move again on turn four.

Do you mean Econ Turn 3 to Econ Turn 4? If yes, than i don't think you have to wait that long to upgrade ships.

A ship just has to spend one turn at a shipyard and pay the cost to be upgraded. It's the only time during a turn you can spend CPs in fact. So if you move in on turn1, you can upgrade on turn2, and be on your way in turn3.

If you move a ship into the shipyard in turn3, it's going to have to sit there through the econ phase and than turn1 (to be upgraded) and than be available again in upcoming turn2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkTori wrote:

MS pipelines on the other hand I treat slightly differently. The Economic turn does not count as a turn and they get flipped at the start of turn 1. This way pipeline that move to a planet on turn three do not get the extra 1CP bonus during the economic phase.

This is not right at all. Flipping an MS pipeline has nothing to do with collecting CPs. It only has to do with being able to assist ships moving along the pipeline.

If a colony has a pipeline, regardless of whether it moved in Turn 3 ( or any other turn), the extra CP is gained in the Econ phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.