Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrique Carro
Spain
La Coruña
La Coruña
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if a thread like this has been posted, although I suppose so, but I don't know how to find it.
The thing is, is there a war or conflict that deserves a wargame and still hasn't one?
I was thinking specially on the Spanish Reconquista, the period from 711 A.D., when the Arabs invaded the Iberian Peninsula, and 1492, when, with the taking of Granada, they were expelled. I can't find a game about it, although there is plenty of scope for one, I reckon.
Any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
A game about the fighting in Southern Russia from 1942-43 with 10 unit counter sheets and 10 maps... if only...

It was done just recently, I think someone else even made the same joke. Shame on them, stealing my joke pre-emptively. Shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Nemo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kikerl wrote:
I don't know if a thread like this has been posted, although I suppose so, but I don't know how to find it.
The thing is, is there a war or conflict that deserves a wargame and still hasn't one?
I was thinking specially on the Spanish Reconquista, the period from 711 A.D., when the Arabs invaded the Iberian Peninsula, and 1492, when, with the taking of Granada, they were expelled. I can't find a game about it, although there is plenty of scope for one, I reckon.
Any other suggestions?

HISPANIA comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be an interesting game.

Granada: The Fall of Moslem Spain covers the final phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd love to see a good treatment of the First Carlist War, by far the largest European conflict in the immediate post-Napoleonic era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Crimean War. Not the battles, but the politics surrounding it: Popular press in UK driving anti-Russian feelings. Religious fantasies from the Tsar. Territorial concerns from the Ottoman empire. Risk of uprisings by religious minorities. The rise of Nationalism (worrying Austria) etc. Napoleon III's need for popularity at home.

I can't see it being a multiplayer game. Probably best as a card driven solitaire game. Aim of the game is to resolve these conflicting motives with the minimum bloodshed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of material for new wargames, as there are many uncovered wars, especially (but not exclusively) outside of the anglocentric / eurocentric perspective.

I would personally be interested in a game on the Anglo-Dutch wars of the 17th century, particularly a strategic / political handling of the subject. I am not aware of games on that subject, but may well have missed any that do exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
Crimean War. Not the battles, but the politics surrounding it: Popular press in UK driving anti-Russian feelings. Religious fantasies from the Tsar. Territorial concerns from the Ottoman empire. Risk of uprisings by religious minorities. The rise of Nationalism (worrying Austria) etc. Napoleon III's need for popularity at home.

I can't see it being a multiplayer game. Probably best as a card driven solitaire game. Aim of the game is to resolve these conflicting motives with the minimum bloodshed.

Boring! When do the tanks show up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joe, on the Crimean War. It has been covered somewhat but not to the point of over saturation. I would also add the Boer War (1st and 2nd). I am sure there are some games on these too but not many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
ShallowThought wrote:

Rejoice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:

Rejoice!

Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:

Although done to varying degrees, the 100 Years' War really deserves a strategic treatment which deals with the various factions as well as the evolving military tactics and technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any games dealing with the Great Northern War? The Swedish Empire versus Russia (and allies) in Europe? The Battle of Poltava?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, there's one pre-order from GMT. Pax Baltica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam H
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Every weirdo in the world is on my wavelength
badge
We carry a new world here, in our hearts.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an old thread that was briefly revived a little while ago along these lines. Just for Fun... toss out a wargame idea that hasn't been done (or done well) yet.... Lots of interesting suggestions there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a Geeklist along these lines a few years ago: Military conflicts that games forgot

I still want to see a Pig War game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
Yup, there's one pre-order from GMT. Pax Baltica.

Also a few older games like On to Moscow, Peter the Great, and Holowczyn: Battle of the Moscow Road.

I was going to suggest the Northern War (1656-1660 iirc). I think there is a small battle from that war included in Nothing Gained But Glory, but nothing on a larger scale. The strategy/politics of that time era are very interesting with Sweden first invading Poland, then Russia starting a war against Poland AND Sweden, while Denmark invades Sweden, and then Austria, France, England, Netherlands, and a few other big and small nations, gets involved sending armes and/or fleets at various times. Oh and Brandenburg fights with Sweden, then switches sides to fight with Austria and Poland, essentially ending up creating the state of Prussia... It's all a complete mess, but with historic consequences and a lot of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also this thread: What Are You Waiting For

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the upcoming Navajo Wars is plumbing pretty virgin territory.

Oh, and I don't think there are nearly enough games on the WW2 Italian campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
The one major war that seems to have only 1 or 2 wargames on it is the Chinese civil war of 1946-9. Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Rif War (1920 - 1926):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rif_War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Irish civil war and war of independence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Soviet invasion of Poland 1920s - read a great book about it. I think there might be a P&P wargame about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
The Irish civil war and war of independence.

This would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
The Soviet invasion of Poland 1920s - read a great book about it. I think there might be a P&P wargame about it.

Believe it or not, at least 3 choices:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11528/white-eagle-eas...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11111/red-starwhite-e...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28219/konarmiya-year-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.