Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
The players: Me (Orks), Stu (Empire/Dwarves), Rachael (High Elves)

Number of games played:2

Who won:Orks won both games

First game: Orks (me) versus Stu (Dwarves)

This first game between Stu and me was Stu's first game, so it was mostly an introduction to the rules and the concepts of W:I. I had given the Dwarves a fairly strong deck, since (right now) Orks seem to be the fastest/strongest deck we have and Dwarves always fared very well against Orks when my wife and I played with just the base set.

Anyway, I had a great first hand: 2 spider riders (2 hammers only while attacking), an Iron Boyz (Tough: 1), and Grimgor's Camp (Support; 1 Hammer; Reduces cost of 1st Ork unit by 1). I went first, and within the first two turns, I had the 2 siper riders out in my battlefield. Iron Boyz and Grimgor's Camp went to the Kingdom to beef up my resource supply. Stu had drawn some decent cards like Keystone Forge (heal 1 damage to capital) and even though I got an early 4-hammer attack out against his Battlefield, he was quickly able to muster a defense.

Unfortunately, his economy was slow going and I won't spend much time detailing this particular matchup because it was over fairly quickly. He did get some heavy hitters out there but my early rush with the spider riders (plus some added soldiers throughout the next few turns) made it tough for him to do anything about it.

Winner: Orks

Second game: Me (orks), Stu (Empire), Rachael (High Elves)

My wife was playing High Elves like she usually does. Stu decided to switch to a different faction just to try it out (he was learning the game), and I stuck with Orks. We did a no-holds-barred 3p battle. You can attack anyone, you can table-talk and make alliances, break alliances, etc. No special rules.

Stu started us off. He put down a Support in his Kingdom (Gate of Sigmar; cancel 1 capital dmg per turn) and a Warrior Priest in his Battlefield. Now, Stu didn't know this at the time, but since Rachael's High Elf deck uses a lot of passive/indirect damage, that Warrior Priest ended up benefitting Stu quite a bit.

Rachael got off to a slow start. She placed a Shadow Warrior in her Kingdom to begin her usual slow killing machine, and also a Glittering Tower. She never really got a halfway decent healing engine going, unfortunately for her.

As Orks, I got another interesting opening hand: Basha's Bloodaxe (+2 damage; double all damage dealt to a capital), Two Iron Boyz, and two Black Orc Squad. I put a building with +1 hammer (forgot which building) in my Kingdom and a Squig Herder along with it. On the next turn, I put an Iron Boyz and Basha's Bloodaxe in my Battlefield.

Stu and Rachael pinged me for a bit of damage, and I hope that I would be able to pull a decent force together before I took too much damage. I slapped a Choppa down on my Iron Boyz. My Iron Boyz with the Bloodaxe became uncorrupted on my next turn and I went after Rachael's Kingdom zone. She blocked with her Shadow Warrior to prevent 1 out of the 5 damage, and the other four went through...and was DOUBLED! 8 damage, but she had two developments already, so it didn't burn. Next turn, I did the same to Stu's undefended Quest zone and burned it. I was sittin' pretty. Stu and Rachael both bolstered their defenses and prepared for the worst.

I went after Stu's Quest Zone for the kill. He had one unit with counterstrike 2, which would hurt my Iron Boyz but not kill him. However, Stu had a trick up his sleeve: he played a tactic that added 1 Counterstrike to any unit. So, I got hit with 3 Counterstrike! My Iron Boyz already had 1 wound, so he bit the dust before he could deal the death-blow to Stu. On Stu's next turn, he played a large force of units into his battlefield, and he was attacking for 5, burning my Battlefield. Rachael had 2 Zones on the brink of death, so he ignored her and focused on me. My next few card draws were useless (I needed units, but I kept drawing stuff like War Paint and We'z Bigga). Stu buffed his fighting force again (which included a Gold Wizard, which nulled one of my blockers) was able to bring 8 damage against my Quest zone, nearly burning it (I had 2 developments in it). Thankfully, I was able to kill a few of his bigger hitters, but I was on the brink!

Then, Stu went for the throat: he played the Will of the Electors card on my Quest Zone, moving my 2 developments and burning it. Ouch! However, my wife stepped in (maybe she was being nice, or maybe she feared Stu's setup more than mine), and played High Elf's Disdain (cancel a tactic just played), saving my sorry Ork butt! Stu's plan was foiled, and unfortunately this meant that I'd attack him - not Rachael - for a while out of gratitude. On Rachael's turn, she swung at him with a well-placed Charge of the Silver Helms, hitting his Quest Zone for 3 and killing a defender.

On my next turn I FINALLY drew some decent units, two of which were Spider riders. The other was Urgok Beardburna played with We'z Bigga, giving my fighting force 8 attack power. Stu really had nothing he could do, so his Quest zone burned and he glared at Rachael. Victory had been snatched out of his hands.

Now it was just between Rachael and I. She had zero zones burned (but two were on the brink), and I had a zone just a few hits away from death. On her turn, she bolstered her defenses, but it didn't really matter. I attached some weapons and threw in some more units into my battlefield. I burned her battlefield with one attack. Then, instead of attacking her well-defended, well-developed Kingdom, I played WAAAAGH and swung at her Quest zone for a whopping 24 damage. Game over.

Winners: Orks.

Post-game thoughts:

Stu liked the game a lot and he wanted to give it another try in the future. My wife - as always - despises the Orks. I think Stu had the right idea with the Empire and I would have been easily killed if Rachael hadn't stepped in. Rachael's High Elf deck was somewhat of a dud. She didn't bring out any of her larger units, and she was never able to get her Elven Warships or her healing units on the table. All in all, it was a good, hard-fought battle that I really didn't deserve to win (it should have come down to Stu and Rachael). I love the spider riders (they played a pivotal role in both games) and I might give an Ork rush deck a try instead of a self-damage deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ganotisi
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. I've been planning on posting a session report as well. My buddy is really into the orks and they come out fast! I've created a HE deck for this weekend and hopefully I get to test it out. I need a break from my DE deck and thought I'd see what life is like on the "good guys" side.

Looking forward to see your sessions and combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you do 2 attacks on the same turn in the final paragraph? Seems your wife would've had a chance to burn your final zone before killing two of hers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
ganotisim wrote:
Thanks for the session report. I've been planning on posting a session report as well. My buddy is really into the orks and they come out fast! I've created a HE deck for this weekend and hopefully I get to test it out. I need a break from my DE deck and thought I'd see what life is like on the "good guys" side.

Looking forward to see your sessions and combos.
Thanks for reading!

Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Did you do 2 attacks on the same turn in the final paragraph? Seems your wife would've had a chance to burn your final zone before killing two of hers.

No, I attacked in two consecutive turns. Rachael wasn't able to muster enough attackers to break through my defenses at my Quest zone during her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.