Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Why aren't iOS versions — well — "versions"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: software [+] digital [+] iPhone [+] iPad [+] VGG [+] iOS [+] [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
That's the question. Why aren't iOS (or Android) versions of boardgames listed among the versions you can have in your collection, or for which you can record a play. They're not just "video games" for sure: That's not why we buy them, and not how we play them. So why is the database organized otherwise?

EDIT: Added clarification (at least I hope it has that effect).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Is http://dominion.isotropic.org in my collection? I play there a bunch (though still not as much as F2F).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
From a site organizational standpoint, iOS and electronic implementation items are Video Games. The site re-design should address some cross-site linkage issues that link the VGG items to BGG items. BGG guidelines restrict items on BGG to games that include at least boards and cards and prohibit electronic-only items. Just because one can play a electronic implementation of a board game at several different locations or in a variety of ways doesn't mean that those implementations should be treated as functionally equivalent to board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
From a site organizational standpoint, iOS and electronic implementation items are Video Games. The site re-design should address some cross-site linkage issues that link the VGG items to BGG items. BGG guidelines restrict items on BGG to games that include at least boards and cards and prohibit electronic-only items. Just because I can play a electronic implementation of a board game at several different locations or in a variety of ways doesn't mean that those implementations should be treated as functionally equivalent to board games.

+1000. They "are" video games, by definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
skelebone wrote:
From a site organizational standpoint, iOS and electronic implementation items are Video Games.

So "because".

skelebone wrote:
Just because one can play a electronic implementation of a board game at several different locations or in a variety of ways doesn't mean that those implementations should be treated as functionally equivalent to board games.

Well; yes it does.

But as I've said before, I'm waiting for the "wood" domain, and the "plastic" domain to sort that out. No wait, I know, we can keep the paper games in a site called Qwgameikster and spin off a digital-implementations site and called it Netgames.

[Prediction: as trends continue to blur the digital/physical boundary for games, you guys are going to have a big database mess to clean up (or will get scooped by a site that handles it right).]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
They "are" video games, by definition.

Yes, that's my question: what's the logic behind the definition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
They "are" video games, by definition.

Yes, that's my question: what's the logic behind the definition?

I think that was covered with:
Quote:
BGG guidelines restrict items on BGG to games that include at least boards and cards and prohibit electronic-only items.

Now, you can freely question why the guideline is the way it is, just as I can freely question why some things are on the left side of the page, and why threads run from top to bottom, rather than the other way around. But it all goes back to who hosts the website, what they want, how much customer consensus weighs on those decisions, and just what that consensus is.

I know, how about a poll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
My definition:

Video game: A game in which all components required to play the game are software and electronic based, with no non-electronic components required to play.

Board game: A game in which at least some portion, if not the majority, of the required components to play are non-software and non-electric based.

iOS games require an iOS based electronic device, Android games require an Android based electronic device and both are self contained within their devices with all components being software based. Handheld electronic devices such as Merlin, Simon, Electronic Football, etc. are also included in my definition as video games as they are self contained electronic devices.

Games such as The Dark Tower and Electronic Detective have external physical components required to play the game that are not powered, thus are board games.

As much as your definition of board game would include the iOS version of Angry Birds to the BGG database because there is now a board game version, in my definition, it is total inappropriate.

I appreciate your desire, and am driven myself, to catalog everything that I have related to gaming in all of it's forms, but I do believe that blurring the line at this point would be a bit premature. I could see an added check box to the board game side of the database which would indicate ownership in the VGG database, thus allowing for tracking, but I do feel that they should still remain separate.

A question for thought:

Do you consider someone who has downloaded Keldon's Race for the Galaxy AI as owning the board game and all of its expansions?

Regardless of your beliefs, as they are no less valid than mine are, the site does still belong to Aldie and Derk and this still does come down to their call ultimately, so an answer of "Because" has to suffice for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Guys, I appreciate your love for authority and definitions, but that's not my question.

The question is simply about the reasoning behind the definitions, given their consequences. Specifically: sticking to them too rigidly means that we don't have the simple convenience of treating software implementations of games as versions (wherever they reside or however they're categorized).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aldaron wrote:
The question is simply about the reasoning behind the definitions, given their consequences. Specifically: sticking to them too rigidly means that we don't have the simple convenience of treating software implementations of games as versions (wherever they reside or however they're categorized).

Where you see simple convenience, I see the unbridled complexity of trying to list and account for versions of an item in a database that was not designed to list or track them. Even a quick facial comparison of the forms of information tracked on a BGG version versus an VGG version shows that there is no means on the BGG side to track platform (which is of primary concern when talking about an implementation and it's compatibility with a person's software and collection), media (also a substantial concern), or any other information that would be specifically germane to a video game that is of no concern to a board game.

If you would like to track your collection of video game implementations of board games in your own BGG collection, customization tools in the collection view give you freedom to re-name your collection items and list a whole passel of personal information about them. If this is very important to you, the tools to do this with your own information are there to do it for yourself, but any notions of hybridizing entry information for the entire database just because a video game is an implementation of an existing board game does not take into account any of the reasons why there would be separate databases for board game and video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
skelebone wrote:
Where you see simple convenience, I see the unbridled complexity ...

So: implementation issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Why aren't iOS versions - well - "versions"?
Aldaron wrote:
That's the question. Why aren't iOS (or Android) versions of boardgames listed among the versions you can have in your collection, or for which you can record a play. They're not "video games" for sure: That's not why we buy them, and not how we play them. So who is the database organized otherwise?

Let me answer this with a question:

Why aren't boardgames based on videogames (think of DOOM or Gears of War, and many others) also versions of their appropriate videogame counterparts?

- Because they're boardgames, not videogames.

Boardgames are hardware (physical components), whereas videogames are purely digital software (not taking into account the media they're stored on, which are merely storage devices for the actual game!).

So a boardgame implementation of a videogame, or a videogame implementation of a boardgame does not make either the same "form". A boardgame doesn't get digital by recreating elements of a videogame, and vice versa.

Versions of any thing are meant to be similar in their core, with only slight differences, like other languages, different components or updated with new rules. Their original form remains, in this case mostly cardboard, wood, paper, plastic (boardgames) vs digital data stored on cartridges, CD-ROMs, DVDs or only available as DLC.

I would agree with you on audiobooks VS. regular printed books - the core (story, letters, type, graphics, sometimes even layout) remains the same. But not in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
These semantic games aren't helping your case much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

It sounds like the case is already closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
MWChapel wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Looks like it. No one has offered a functionality-related reason. So far I just have a few of the obligatory appeals to authority, the usual IT explanation, and some OC definitional acrobatics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Looks like it. No one has offered a functionality-related reason. So far I just have a few of the obligatory appeals to authority, the usual IT explanation, and some OC definitional acrobatics.

Que Sera, Sera, what can you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:

Yeah, but you aren't answering the questions either. How do you decide what is a board game, and what isn't? Is Civilization? Is Rollercoaster Tycoon? Is Sim City?

I think adding in all the video versions of board games would cause a ton of grief and arguments, add complexity, and ultimately - achieve nothing other than diluting the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
TomVasel wrote:
Aldaron wrote:

Yeah, but you aren't answering the questions either. How do you decide what is a board game, and what isn't? Is Civilization? Is Rollercoaster Tycoon? Is Sim City?

I think adding in all the video versions of board games would cause a ton of grief and arguments, add complexity, and ultimately - achieve nothing other than diluting the site.

Again, way over thinking. Do you really have a problem recognizing that the iOS version of Carcassonne is a version of Carcassone. Surely not, so link it (wherever it is) as a version, from the Carcassone here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, there are numerous "versions" of games, which represent another window dressing of the same ruleset. I can see where an iOS version of a game that follows the same rules, uses similar artwork and is published in conjunction with the publisher is another 'version" of the game.

I don't think the complexity issue has much merit, it's simply adding another tag or whatever to the main entry of the game in question.

Is it controversial...sure, but so are a bevy of mundane things on this site (what exactly is a wargame?)

I don't think video only implementations of games like Civ deserve a seperate entry and game id, but a link to related material or "version" seems appropriate, as long as there is a clear line of recognition from board to screen.

but ask me tomorrow and I'll probably tell you the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
the issue is not limited to iOS products and BoardGames
in other threads I have suggested a new section on the game pages

called .... Related Links, or something similar

if you are on VGG looking at Reiner Knizia's Ra
you could have a link to the BGG entry Ra
or the reverse

there are entries on all three domains that could or should be linked

there are also some products listed on both BGG and RPGG, RPGG and VGG Merge List

I hybrid Item was tried, it didn't work
ID 60087 is a hybrid entry House Kurita: The Draconis Combine
see the different views from BGG and RPGG

various entries on all three domains have links in the More Information section to other entries on the Geek

I think a formal links section would address many issues and problems

currently developer time is being devoted to the redesign, any new features will have to wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
nothing is stopping you from adding your digital games to your collection or recording your digital plays. in fact many people record their digital plays. if you want to note your digital games you can use the 'custom version' option to specify it is a digital version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(putting tongue in cheek) Seems like an entrepreneurial opportunity. Find an unemployed programmer and go nuts. You'll be the biggest game site in no time. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
(putting tongue in cheek) Seems like an entrepreneurial opportunity. Find an unemployed programmer and go nuts. You'll be the biggest game site in no time. :ninja:

Over time BGG has grown so large that it would take a team of programmers. It is well beyond a one man effort now. BGG is developing in small evolutionary steps. The new RPG site and VGG sites have different database structures to fix some of the problems in current BGG database. Over time more commonality will no doubt result.

Part of the problem with any new development is to migrate data in current BGG database to a new structure. Take a simple addition of noting game contents. You'd have to spin through all 50k+ games to create contents game by game.

Let's be honest. the idea of a video game database was launched without an appreciation of exactly how the current BGG database and the video database would interact. If they had waited until all the details had been considered, there never would have been a video game site launch. There are other seemingly obvious problems. For example, there should be galleries of images by version. There also should have been a contents listing. (Who has a 5.25 inch floppy these days?)

There has been a talk of of book database too. So Geekdom is a work in progress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A related discussion here: Add ownership type 'electronic'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense to me for there to be a single www.gamegeek.com that seamlessly integrates BGG, RPGG, and VGG. But it's pretty clear that it would be a significant effort to get there, and no doubt there would be a lot of outcry over it (a la GeekDo). It would probably need to be user-filterable so that those interested in only one domain can hide the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.