Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to start up a GOW 4 Player Game using the Belly of the Beast mission:

I'll moderate, as long as the 4 players joining will be patient with me, as I'm getting graphics together. Also I've only played the game twice so far, so I will most likely get a few rules wrong. Will be a work-in-progress, but the game should continue without many interruptions.

So, first-come-first-server, first four players who post they want to play, pick a COG when you post as well, and decide which one of the 4 COGs will jump into cover first. I'll randomly determine player 1 after we have 4 suckers volunteers to play.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like fun! I will take Fenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I already committed to IKim's game, and I think those not in a game should get first dibs.

But I drool over your graphics. And I do want to play Belly of the Beast. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In. I'll take Dom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, I'll take Cole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: has anybody contacted FFG to make sure that they're cool with this? I assume they are, with restrictions, as they are with Battlestar Galactica, but I wouldn't want to step on any toes just in case.

On another note, I just tried to solo Belly of the Beast last night, and I got murdered right after flipping the first stage. A Drone got a roll on me that was five wounds against zero shields, and I only had three Order Cards. There were still three more Drones to attack after that one, and then another AI card to resolve. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take the fourth guy. Game's at home and can't remember who it is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Question: has anybody contacted FFG to make sure that they're cool with this? I assume they are, with restrictions, as they are with Battlestar Galactica, but I wouldn't want to step on any toes just in case.

On another note, I just tried to solo Belly of the Beast last night, and I got murdered right after flipping the first stage. A Drone got a roll on me that was five wounds against zero shields, and I only had three Order Cards. There were still three more Drones to attack after that one, and then another AI card to resolve.

I played Belly of the Beast and Scattered last night. Got KILLED in Belly of the Beast; Scattered was so much easier since there was so much more space.

BSG is more the exception. Spontaneous PBF games have sprouted for all kinds of FFG games without any response. I'd wait to ask them only if GoW PBF becomes regular. And also after they're done putting out a FAQ; they aren't even free enough to answer rules questions right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:

Baird!

I'm surprised at how many people got this board game who weren't previously fans of the video game. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Titeman wrote:

Baird!

I'm surprised at how many people got this board game who weren't previously fans of the video game. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Hell, I've never even played the game

(course, I hate FPSes on the console)

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
But I drool over your graphics. And I do want to play Belly of the Beast. cry

They will be made available as a TileSystem plug-in (i.e. a TileSet), probably after this game. Want to make sure I'm not missing anything before posting

-shanr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played the Video Game either. I have a PS3. I have played the board game a few times though and like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole

So, perhaps it's early to start talking strategy, but I feel like one of the first things we want to do is get a grenade onto the area with the Emergence hole near us, to give us some breathing room and maybe even close up that hole.

Marcus going first might not be great for this, though, since he only starts with a single grenade. Anybody else have thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He hasn't randomly drawn player order yet though, right, so I may not go first. Even if I do, I think a grenade there will be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
He hasn't randomly drawn player order yet though, right, so I may not go first. Even if I do, I think a grenade there will be worth it.

Cole

Ah, I missed that. I just figured since you picked first you'd go first. I feel like that's how the rule book plays it, anyway. I'm cool with random turn order.

Also, when I get home tonight, I might whip up some ugly character banners, so we can keep track of each other more easily. Until then, I'll put my character name above all of my posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Titeman wrote:

Baird!

Baird

Just picked up the 3rd game; am giving it a go tonight. All of my GoW BG stuff is at home, so if someone could send me a list of Baird's ability and starting stuff I'd appreciate it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

Cole

Ah, I missed that. I just figured since you picked first you'd go first. I feel like that's how the rule book plays it, anyway. I'm cool with random turn order.

Also, when I get home tonight, I might whip up some ugly character banners, so we can keep track of each other more easily. Until then, I'll put my character name above all of my posts.

I just changed my avatar for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

Cole

I just changed my avatar for the game.

Copied your idea!...Thanks!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't amassed enough GeekGold to buy an avatar (partially due to the fact that I gave a generous tip to my last BSG PBF moderator).

Still, another advantage of inline images as opposed to avatars is that avatars change. After this game is said and done, you will likely not keep the same avatar, and anybody looking through it a year down the road will have more trouble following who is who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I still haven't amassed enough GeekGold to buy an avatar (partially due to the fact that I gave a generous tip to my last BSG PBF moderator).

Still, another advantage of inline images as opposed to avatars is that avatars change. After this game is said and done, you will likely not keep the same avatar, and anybody looking through it a year down the road will have more trouble following who is who.

Baird

Not if I do this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Baird

Not if I do this...

Contributed to the Avatar fund as well.

Turn order is:
Baird
Fenix
Cole
Dom

Figure out who is going to take the cover spot, and Baird can go. I will be GeekMailing everyone a list of their Order Cards. I do have a scanned copy of the distinct order cards I can email you if you wish a copy. Later tonight, I'll have a better image of the COGs and Gear, but you're all at full starting values (ammo, weapons, grenades, health, etc).

Here's how the game will work.

COG Turn. At the "start" of your turn, I will GeekMail you the cards you received during the Heal stage. You then do your action. You will roll the dice using BGG's custom dice roller (explained below). Then, I will draw/display the AI card and perform as much as I can that doesn't need input, which for the most part will be Locust Movement. Most attacks can be interrupted, so at the point of an attack, I will end my forum post allowing the Active COG to roll the attack.

Locust Interrupts
To interrupt a Locust Movement/Attack, I will end my post right before an attack. The COG being attacked (not the Active COG) will roll the Locust's attack dice. This gives the defending COG the ability to play a Dodge before the attack and we won't have to wait for any back and forth "You want to play a Dodge?".

If a Guard interrupt wants to be played, it must be played between the post that I stop moving the Locust and the post that rolls the dice (from the defending player). Simply state you are doing so, which card to discard, and roll the dice. If an interrupt wants to be played during the movement, simply state which card is being discarded, roll the attack and I will retroize anything that needs to be taken.

Once the Locust's Attack Dice have been rolled, no more interrupts can happen for that attack.

Follow CardsCOGs can play a Follow Card at anytime during another COG's turn, as long as it is played before the Heal stage of the next COG's turn, I will allow it (so we don't have all these break/stop stages). For example, Baird Moves 2 spaces, attacks a Locust, I draw the AI card which moves 3 Locusts, they attack, Cole finally logs onto BGG and wanted to play a Follow Card when Baird first moved, simply state that you do and I'll allow it.

Dice Rolling. BGG's custom dice rolling is really easy. Click on the "Roll" button above the text box, add in the following text:

For Attack Dice:
1custom6{iid:1086449;iid:1086450;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086452}

For Defense Dice:
1custom6{iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086454;iid:1086454;iid:1086455}

Change the "1" at the beginning of the "1custom6" to the number of dice being rolled. For example, if I am attacking with 4 dice and the Locust has a defense of 2, I would click on the Roll button and add this in the "Roll" section:

4custom6{iid:1086449;iid:1086450;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086452}

Click on the "Add Roll" button and it will add the roll to your post. And then click the Roll button again and add this text into the "Roll" section and click the "Add Roll" button:

2custom6{iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086454;iid:1086454;iid:1086455}

Just like this:
4custom6{iid:1086449;iid:1086450;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086452} -> ( iid:1086450 iid:1086451 iid:1086451 iid:1086451) ->
[+]

2custom6{iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086454;iid:1086454;iid:1086455} -> ( iid:1086454 iid:1086453) ->
[+]

(note that I changed the font size so you could see the images on one line instead of wrapping around). Unfortunately there is no way to "preview" the rolls, you have to Submit the post, check it out, then edit or do a follow up post.

That's it for rules. I'll post up later tonight some prettier pictures of the COGs and their stats.

-shnar

Edit: I used the wrong images on the Defense dice example. Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 53052. shnar
  • 4custom6{iid:1086449;iid:1086450;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086452} =
  • ( iid:1086450 iid:1086451 iid:1086451 iid:1086451) =
  • iid:1086450 iid:1086451 iid:1086451 iid:1086451
  • Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm
  • [+]
  • 53053. shnar
  • 2custom6{iid:1086449;iid:1086450;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086451;iid:1086452} =
  • ( iid:1086451 iid:1086449) =
  • iid:1086451 iid:1086449
  • Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:11 pm
  • [+]
  • 53054. shnar
  • 2custom6{iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086453;iid:1086454;iid:1086454;iid:1086455} =
  • ( iid:1086454 iid:1086453) =
  • iid:1086454 iid:1086453
  • Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:12 pm
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should note, for those not familiar with this scenario, the objective is to get to the end and survive an onslaught of Locust. This stages special is that the door on Map Tile 3B (the starting tile) leads to Section 3 (the other, "normal" door leads to section 2). In fact, opening that door will flip this stage's cards.

And to those worried about FFG, I should have added at the beginning of the game, you need to actually OWN A COPY of the game in order to play in the PBF game.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a rough scan of the different Order Cards so you can use that as a reference as to exactly what your cards do:

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baird

I'll grab my copy when I get home and take my first turn. I'll take cover if no one else wants it...Someone else take cover; I am thinking of running to the "?," getting a weapon, then lobbing a grenade into the area with the three Locusts right next to us. Thoughts?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I'm thinking as far as the COG stats:

But I'm also thinking that's just too much. It does show the main COGS but it is missing their current health levels. So I might make a more compact version later this week, we'll see.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [46] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.