Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you've played my co-op rules or even just glanced at them, I could use a bit of feedback.

I've been planning on making some adjustments to my co-op gameplay variant.

-I am definitely going to be ramping up the difficulty on most settings as it is too easy right now.

-Some scenario maps are going to be tweaked.

-Some stuff I want to add, as optional rules:

1) Secure communication- (Alien player games only) To prevent one player from becoming a dominant player (i.e. bossing/micromanaging other players). The sharing of any specific information about your empire will result in the Alien player immediately becoming aware of that fact. So if you state/reveal you have Fighter technology to your allies, the Alien player will operate as if it knows you have Fighter tech as well. To avoid this, first, discuss strategy in thematic terms (state that "I will counter his fighters" rather than "I will buy point defense") and if revealing information is necessary you may pay 5 CP at any time to establish a secure link of communication with other player(s), which blocks the Alien Player from becoming aware of what you discuss.

2)Traitor- (Either DM or AP games) Before the game starts, set aside 1 Warp Point Counter along with 5 other Deep Space counters that are not Warp points. Randomize the counters in a box then have each player draw one. These are kept secret at all times. If a player draws the Warp Point counter, he/she is the "traitor" and is secretly working with either the Doomsday Machines or the Alien Player. The traitor may at any time reveal that he/she is the traitor and begin waging war against the other human players. Until then, the Alien Player/Doomsday Machine will attack the Traitor as normal, so as to keep up the charade. The traitor may also decide to double cross the Alien Player/DMs and work in alliance with the human players as normal. The remaining non-human players get an immediate, one-time 30 CP (?) bonus each when the traitor is revealed.

3) Another random/poorly defined thought I had was to incorporate some kind of "threat" mechanic, like "Threat from the North" in A Game of Thrones the board game. Every econ phase roll to see if the AP does a (as yet undefined) "threat event". The human players must collectively pay a certain amount of CP or else... something bad will happen (again undefined)....yup.

Finally, I can't recommend Roger's Alien Player Automation Program http://www.reallybigsquid.com/SpaceEmpires4X/ enough. It makes it much easier/faster to play solitaire or co-op and he's added support for co-op.

[Edit- Traitor rule CP bonus, AP threat idea, AP automation.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually played cooperative so I can't comment from experience.
But it seems to me the optional traitor rules here are a bit unbalanced. The traitor, together with aliens/doomsdays will be a lot more powerful than the remaining player.

An alternative that keeps the same suspense, allowing a player to switch allegiences:
Any player can win by conquering another player, except if the alien player is conquered (or the doomsdays destroyed), both players win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right in fact I meant to say the remaining human players get a CP bonus (30?), forgot to write it down though. Will now edit.

I like your idea too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessicatz Fairymeadow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
chrono280 wrote:
1) Secure communication- (Alien player games only) To prevent one player from becoming a dominant player (i.e. bossing/micromanaging other players). The sharing of any specific information about your empire will result in the Alien player immediately becoming aware of that fact. So if you state/reveal you have Fighter technology to your allies, the Alien player will operate as if it knows you have Fighter tech as well. To avoid this, first, discuss strategy in thematic terms (state that "I will counter his fighters" rather than "I will buy point defense") and if revealing information is necessary you may pay 5 CP at any time to establish a secure link of communication with other player(s), which blocks the Alien Player from becoming aware of what you discuss.

That seems like a really bad idea to me. It would punish talking about the game, during the game, which is a huge point of board games, right? Also it's annoying to keep track of and talking about your options, amazing strategies or boasting your awesome beefed up fighter 2's and how they will save your butts is fun and big part of playing the game cooperatively.

Instead of punishing the players for playing the game, you maybe want to think of a way to incentivise talking about it, by making the scenario harder/the AI smarter. I think this might offset the "unfair" advantage of the players being human beings, unlike the APs who are just some dice and tables

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessicatz wrote:
That seems like a really bad idea to me.

Well, that suggestion was made specifically to solve the problem of having one player bossing/micromanaging other players.

If that is not your concern, of course you shouldn't curtail game discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.