Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

First, if I play this game in a tournemant, should I give more ressources to humans? It seems easier for cylon so to balance things out I though maybe I should give +1 or +2 ressources as proposed in the rulesbook (at least +1 population :P). What do you think?

Second, we are 6 in our tournemant and points are rewarded like this: 4-3-2-1-0-0. So for this game I though of giving 4 to the winning team and 2 to the loosing team or maybe 3-1. Any suggestions?

Also, as a hidden cylon what do you usually do besides not playing cards that would help humans? Most of the time crew members agree on a best thing to do and if you dont do it you're gonna bring suspicion on you. Also, if you wanna harm a skill check and the Destiny deck plays 2 bad cards then you're doomed? People will know for sure that there is a Cylon, also we started looking at the bad cards colors and then: IT CANT BE ME I DONT HAVE THOSE COLORS!!! (so we almost know for sur that people is innocent) THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE THOSE CARDS IS HIM!!! etc etc.

Just wanna know what are the things you usually do to harm humans. Also do you mostly revealed at the beginning? the middle of the game? or do you try to stay hidden all game long?

Revealed cylon draws 2 cards of any type (but not of the same type)at the beginning of their turns and can only plays 1 card by skill check? What about a brigged crew member? How many cards can he plays in a skill check? Also a president keep is functions in the brig but not the admiral? If he gets out of the brig do he gets his functions back?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the tournament rules? Does a moderator generate the loyalties unshuffled to ensure people get to fairly play both sides, or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

No just one game! Maybe another latter in the tournemant with Pegasus, but still, loyalty will be deal randomly to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Record the number of teams each player won and on which team that player won. Garther statistics on the win ratio of human vs cylon across the whole tournament and scale the scoring accordingly i.e. if the cylons won twice as much, a human win is worth twice the points.

Exception is that points should be capped at the maximum points that someone always on the winning team could have earned, but players probably won't exceed this unless the ratio is really out of whack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you competing across many different board games, or are you playing multiple games of BSG?

In the first case, everyone might play a game of Titan, then Puerto Rico, BSG, finally Monopoly. 1st place winner in any game gets 5 points, 2nd place gets 3, 3rd place gets 1. Most points wins the tourney.

In the latter case, you just play BSG over and over again, usually with different opponents. The player with the most wins then wins the meta-game (aka the tourney). OR, you play over and over again. Losers are eliminated, winners go on to play other winners. Repeat until there are just 1 or 2 winners.

However, I think you're more worried about how it's easier to win as cylons if everyone is fairly new or inexperienced, and also if they're somewhat unknown to each other. (no habits to tip you off). At that point you'ld get the person who was cylon more often winning more often. Or the final championship game would be won by the cylons.

To be honest, I have no idea how to balance that. I think you're idea of extra resources as per the Official FAQ to make it easier might be an idea. But I'm not sure of that.

How well do you know your competitors? If you're certain you'll get almost all as fairly inexperienced players than I'd add the resources. If you've got people who've played 5+ times though, then you're tilting towards humans, and drawing a cylon card becomes a tourney-death-trap.

Ouch. No real idea about this. This is one game I play for the fun experience, not the strategic/tactical choices to ensure victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

First, if I play this game in a tournemant, should I give more ressources to humans? It seems easier for cylon so to balance things out I though maybe I should give +1 or +2 ressources as proposed in the rulesbook (at least +1 population ). What do you think?

I think the game is fine as it is. A lot depends on the experience level of your players and just plain luck.

Quote:

Second, we are 6 in our tournemant and points are rewarded like this: 4-3-2-1-0-0. So for this game I though of giving 4 to the winning team and 2 to the loosing team or maybe 3-1. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I can't help you there.

Quote:

Also, as a hidden cylon what do you usually do besides not playing cards that would help humans? Most of the time crew members agree on a best thing to do and if you dont do it you're gonna bring suspicion on you. Also, if you wanna harm a skill check and the Destiny deck plays 2 bad cards then you're doomed? People will know for sure that there is a Cylon, also we started looking at the bad cards colors and then: IT CANT BE ME I DONT HAVE THOSE COLORS!!! (so we almost know for sur that people is innocent) THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE THOSE CARDS IS HIM!!! etc etc.

Just wanna know what are the things you usually do to harm humans. Also do you mostly revealed at the beginning? the middle of the game? or do you try to stay hidden all game long?

Listen to the other players. Support them when they make a mistake, and don't support them when they act brilliantly.

You can try to empty your hand so when a skill check comes up, you say, "sorry no cards. can't help."

Try to throw suspicion on someone else. Did the Admiral choose a distance 1 jump? If you can get enough suspicion going, someone might support you when you throw a human in the brig.

As you pointed out, if you put in negative cards in a skill check, don't put too many in. Also, don't put in a card that only you draw. If someone else draws that color, you can point the finger at them.

Also, use launch scout and burn up those raptors.

If someone gets to view one of your Loyalty cards and declares you a Cylon, look shocked and immediately accuse that person of being a Cylon.

Quote:

Revealed cylon draws 2 cards of any type (but not of the same type)at the beginning of their turns and can only plays 1 card by skill check?

In the base game, a revealed Cylon may draw 2 cards of the same type. See Revealed Cylon Players' Turns on page 20. In the Pegasus expansion, the two skill cards must be different types. See Revealed Cylon Players on page 7 of the Pegasus rulebook.

Quote:

What about a brigged crew member? How many cards can he plays in a skill check?

A brigged crew member draws his full skill set. But he can only play 1 skill card into a skill check. He also does not draw a Crisis card. See the Brig location on the game board.

If I play Boomer, I usually try to go to Colonial One to draw yellow Politics cards hoping to get a value 4 or 5 card. I also take the purple Tactics cards in my initial draw hoping to get the 4 or 5 card. I tend to hang on to my 4 or 5 yellow and purple cards because I know Boomer will go to the brig.

Quote:
Also a president keep is functions in the brig but not the admiral?

Yes. See Line of Succession on page 28.

Quote:
If he gets out of the brig do he gets his functions back?

No. See Line of Succession on page 28.

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingAnus3 wrote:

First, if I play this game in a tournemant, should I give more ressources to humans? It seems easier for cylon so to balance things out I though maybe I should give +1 or +2 ressources as proposed in the rulesbook (at least +1 population ). What do you think?

I've never heard of semi-/co-op games being played in a tournament setting, so I'm not sure. Also, the # of pts is also relative to how many pts people get from winning and placing in other games. If someone who comes in 2nd place playing Settlers Of Catan gets 3pts, then seems right to award 1pt here as well. (On a personal level, I feel you should get at least 1pt... something for playing a 3hr game).

otherwise, if you don't need a pts system, just record the wins and losses then.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Also, as a hidden cylon what do you usually do besides not playing cards that would help humans? Most of the time crew members agree on a best thing to do and if you dont do it you're gonna bring suspicion on you.
If people are really adamant, or if there's something you should do that's REALLY helpful, then you may want to cut your losses and reveal. For exapmle, if the right thing to do is to use FTL Control, you can say that you want to wait for a SP. Someone could state they have one, and you could claim he's lying and that you'd rather not take that chance. However, if the risk is worth it, FTL Control may be the thing to do, in which case, your SP argument won't fly. You can just do something else, but at that point, you've been outed. Just reveal unless you can spin off more deceit.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Also, if you wanna harm a skill check and the Destiny deck plays 2 bad cards then you're doomed? People will know for sure that there is a Cylon, also we started looking at the bad cards colors and then: IT CANT BE ME I DONT HAVE THOSE COLORS!!! (so we almost know for sur that people is innocent) THE ONLY ONE TO HAVE THOSE CARDS IS HIM!!! etc etc.
Be more cautious and clever about that then. If you're going to spike it with blue, make sure everyone with blue before you also played into the check. Green is a common color since everyone draws it. Just make sure alot of them also contribute, as if it's just you and another person who plays green, then the process of elimination is much easier. You may want to spike a skill check if you go first, as even if they do know it's you, your up next and can just reveal.

As part of a metagaming thing..... when we're looking at revealed cards of a skill check, I will be as adamanet as possible that people do not accidently slip out "I told you I wanted to hold onto that SP", or "I put in such and such", as these type of statements really skirt on the line of secrecy.

KingAnus3 wrote:
If I have a good reveal power, I'll be sure to sabotage (openly or closed), then reveal. I've discovered through dozens of games that my playstyle is to reveal early. If I stay revealed too long, then I end losing the cylons the game. Plus, in a 5p and 6p game, waiting another tunr to reveal, with low chances of getting XO-ed... simply too helpful for the humans.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Revealed cylon draws 2 cards of any type (but not of the same type)at the beginning of their turns and can only plays 1 card by skill check?
Correct

KingAnus3 wrote:
What about a brigged crew member? How many cards can he plays in a skill check?
Same. up to 1.

KingAnus3 wrote:
Also a president keep is functions in the brig but not the admiral?
Correct

KingAnus3 wrote:
If he gets out of the brig do he gets his functions back? Thanks a lot!
No. The only time a title card gets reassigned is if a person who has it needs to lose it (such as admiral getting brigged, or president revealing). Only exception is if everyone's in the Brig, then there still needs to be an admiarl, which would be the character highest in line of succesison. If someone escapes the Brig in that case, that character would be the new admiral.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the players rate each other on the experience. Did Joe just sit there and flip cards efficiently? Or did Joe make interesting observations, work towards helping his "team" get the hint on who was or was not a cylon and do so in character?

Maybe weight these "game play" points relative to the "winner/loser" points.

Just off the top of my head, Winners get 2, losers get 1. Have everyone rate all other players in the game based on their experience from 0 to 2, 2 being the best.

In this way a loser could still get more points if they played with some passion.

This will do 2 things for you: 1) Allow a larger array of scores per player in each game, and 2) motivate the players to play this game in the way it was supposed to be played, full of accusations and loud denials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
Have the players rate each other on the experience. Did Joe just sit there and flip cards efficiently? Or did Joe make interesting observations, work towards helping his "team" get the hint on who was or was not a cylon and do so in character?

Maybe weight these "game play" points relative to the "winner/loser" points.

Just off the top of my head, Winners get 2, losers get 1. Have everyone rate all other players in the game based on their experience from 0 to 2, 2 being the best.

In this way a loser could still get more points if they played with some passion.

This will do 2 things for you: 1) Allow a larger array of scores per player in each game, and 2) motivate the players to play this game in the way it was supposed to be played, full of accusations and loud denials.
As this is an experience game more than anything else, I have to agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you want to make roleplaying into a tournament, why not just play a RPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

KingAnus3 wrote:
Correct

Not in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough. "Not the same type" is either a Pegasus or Exodus rule IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
True enough. "Not the same type" is either a Pegasus or Exodus rule IIRC.
it's either or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.