CLS Games -- Atlanta's Board Game Warehouse
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I really want this guy to look good, but I have no time, no skills, and no painting equipment. I guess that means I will have to pay somebody to paint it for me, but what is going to cost me?

Poll
How much would you (an expert minis painter) charge to paint a copy of Dreadfleet?
Less than $50
$50 to $100
$100 to $150
$150 to $200
Over $200
      147 answers
Poll created by rsolow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only upside is the relatively small number of ships, and that all of them are completely different, so that you won't get easily bored (like when painting 20 genestealers with the same color scheme).

However, the number of different colors required for each ship, as well as the structural complexity of the models (I think this is the first time I might have to paint parts of a model separately before gluing them together), means that painting dreadfleet will be a pain in the @ss.

Of course playing with well-painted models on this glorious mat is worth the trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These Miniatures are breathtaking. I'm probably gonna pass on this game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
However, the number of different colors required for each ship, as well as the structural complexity of the models (I think this is the first time I might have to paint parts of a model separately before gluing them together), means that painting dreadfleet will be a pain in the @ss.

I had the same thought too. It also means it jumps right up my (huge) painting queue, as it means that the models won't be assembled and ready for play until they are fully painted. And though I am glad they have made the models somewhat painter friendly by embossing the design on the sails, there are a some things I think will involve learning some new techniques for me. I'm especially curious as to what it will be like to try non-metallic metal on the scimitar sail designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ship pictured above in the video looks like the toughest to paint IMO. A giant fish carcass hollowed out and retro-fitted into a ship? I will have much trouble trying to come close to the paint job GW has for its video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Scott
United States
Newbury Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a professional minature painter and based on the smaller size and realitively small number of pieces I would say that the $100 to $150 range would get you an well painted set from someone like myself.

Perhaps a bit more like $200 if you want some heavy non metallic details or things like OSL for the "fish lantern" ect...but that would be a very professional job worthy of a private display case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Martins
Brazil
flag msg tools
robscott5598 wrote:
As a professional minature painter and based on the smaller size and realitively small number of pieces I would say that the $100 to $150 range would get you an well painted set from someone like myself.

Seriously? And how long would you take to do such job?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yomismo unomismo
Spain
flag msg tools
Each ship can cost to paint at least 2-4 hours, so ten ships 20-40 hours, not to cout all the scenografy and smaller ships.
I wont paint that for less than 200 hundred dollars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid $240 a couple years ago to get my 12 terminators painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a professional painter as a career, and can safely say that most solo painters won't paint this for under $150, and most professional studios won't for under $300 for the GW level of paintjob...though I've been out of the biz a little while so things could have changed due to the economy. Many folks will charge you based on the level of detail you want to achieve (many have a 5-tier system of detailing), so you have some wiggle room in price.

Space Hulk is a game whose miniatures I've seen painted normally in the $2-300 range with top quality jobs going at $500+. But you can always get lucky by finding a new painter, an unestablished painter, or someone who is willing to do it for fun and charge way less. Example, When you hire a professional studio like say, Blue Table Painting, you get a relatively quick turnaround time of around a week or 2...whereas someone doing it for fun might take more than a month or more for a quality job. Price is very relative to quality...the more you pay, generally speaking the better quality you will get OR the more time a painter takes, the better the quality you will get. But without seeing the models in hand for Dreadfleet yet I couldn't say what most services would charge for this. Dreadfleet figures, I can only guesstimate, will require about the same amount of time as Space Hulk simply due to certain models needing to be painted separately (the spectral ship pops to mind right away). There may be just 10 ships, but they are much larger than the SH minis and equal in detail to them, not even taking into account the terrain pieces deatils.

I don't paint as a career anymore, but have been wanting to paint for the Jack Vasel Fund charity. I still love painting miniatures for the hobby of it but hate working for hire, so I figure this is the best way to help out others who want cheaper painted miniatures and also support a cause. I posted an auction for a set of Space Hulk to be painted to see what the interest would be for such a thing (mainly if people would be willing to pay my minimum offer - why do it at all if nobody wants to pay a respectable amount for the charity right? I remember days I used to auction paintings on canvas during live events only to see a work I spent 2 weeks full time on go for $40 or less!). I have gotten 2 bids thus far so there IS good interest, so I'm all go for the charity come November and plan to offer my services for painting during that auction if you're interested.

(My link isn't showing for some reason but I have a post under Space Hulk here at BGG with a working link to my auction)
It closes in a couple hours so by the time you see this it will give you an idea of what most people are willing to pay for this level of quality and time frame so you can go from there to plan for your game being painted. Also, services like Dragon Painting from Ebay often run auctions for already painted minis for games, including the entire game components, and with a very nice level of detail...and NO WAITING other than waiting for the auction. I'm certain they are already geared up for Dreadfleet and will have a set painted within a week or two of the game's release as they did with Space Hulk. You can always find them listing on Ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Martins
Brazil
flag msg tools
Ecthelion2005 wrote:
Each ship can cost to paint at least 2-4 hours, so ten ships 20-40 hours, not to cout all the scenografy and smaller ships.
I wont paint that for less than 200 hundred dollars...
40 hours is also my (lower bound) estimate. 200 dollars seems quite a bargain for this amount of work. Heck, 5 USD/hour is actually below minimum wage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet looking termis...that's a high quality job. You definitely got what you paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
GW posted sprue pictures yesterday, and it is pretty obvious that some of the ships HAVE to be painted before assembly.

Are there any specific tricks to this. Also--can you still use a solvent based glue? I tend to assemble sprued plastics using just a styrene solvent applied with a 5cc diabetic sharp. Solid adhesion, and a lot of control. Does the paint change the wicking effect and dissolve the paint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Buchsdrucker
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
Byrns wrote:
I paid $240 a couple years ago to get my 12 terminators painted.

Where at?

It was guy I found on Ebay that did the commission. (Located in China)

PM me if you want his details

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SledgePainter wrote:
Space Hulk is a game whose miniatures I've seen painted normally in the $2-300 range with top quality jobs going at $500+. But you can always get lucky by finding a new painter, an unestablished painter, or someone who is willing to do it for fun and charge way less. Example, When you hire a professional studio like say, Blue Table Painting, you get a relatively quick turnaround time of around a week or 2...whereas someone doing it for fun might take more than a month or more for a quality job. Price is very relative to quality...the more you pay, generally speaking the better quality you will get OR the more time a painter takes, the better the quality you will get.

If you can find someone who will paint everything in Dreadfleet for $200 at a very high level of quality, either they're bluffing or you just hit the lottery. I recently had my entire Space Hulk set painted on commission by a BGG user (22 Genestealers, 12 Space Marines, 1 Broodlord, 1 Dead Marine, 1 C.A.T., 1 Artifact, and 20 door stands). It took roughly 4 weeks from start to finish with him painting on weekdays (some days he put in more time, some days less). The quality of his work is phenomenal and was well worth the cost.

(You can see his work in the Space Hulk general forum. I posted a thread at the time so people could follow his progress.)

Although Dreadfleet has only 10 ships, it also has all of the extras (shipwrecks, sea monsters, etc.). I can also say that the level of detail on some of these ships surpasses the level of detail on the SH Space Marines. If I were to pick up Dreadfleet, I would certainly have the guy who painted my SH set take this on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know exactly who did your paint work...I have to say he did a superb job and more quality than (I believe) BTP hands-down. I don't know what you paid but he did a wonderful job. I wish I could see those figures in person because I'm sure the photos don't capture any of the shimmer effect on those stealers.

When I left painting miniatures as a full time career it was right when Space Hulk was launched. I wasn't getting in many commissions anymore other than doing heavy conversion work on tyranids. But demand was high for Space Hulk so I was hopeful. I could turn out a battle box army in under a month so I could do the same (at the time) with SH. People who knew me knew I did NOT paint in tiers...I only painted high quality tabletop - 1 standard. When I posted commission status on various web sites that I would do Space Hulk at $8 per figure I honestly got several people emailing to tell me it was an outrageous price...where did I get off...I simply overcharged. There were many bawks, but some were nicer, stating I should paint in tiers so that I could charge less to get in more work, but the quality was lower. I wasn't willing to sacrifice my quality and fought with this very issue year after year. I finally got sick of it. People simply wanted cheaper minis faster. My usual rate for regular GW infantry models was $5 per figure, and even then I always got complaints. After not being able to secure 1 SH commission I stopped painting on commission altogether.

I saw a bunch of people painting Space Hulk for $100-150...just "painted," not really a top-notch job, and people were happy with that. I can say that there ARE painters out there who will charge around $200 or even less for Dreadfleet. Is it a GW quality job? Probably not. I think you do have to pay for quality but there is a line drawn where people will not pay, and it also depends on how popular a given painter is as well. Some people will do it for fun or practice for less. I was willing to paint SH for $288 professionally and was told no less than 8 times that that was outrageous and nobody would pay more than the game actually cost to get their minis painted. Then again, BlueTable wasn't selling their painted SH sets on the cheap and cost a lot more than what I was charging (but they are quite famous in the miniature market).

In the end, if you hunt around enough, and look at the work of painters or studios and their rates, you should be able to compare them to find the best deal and you never know when you could "win the lottery." It happens

Also, if you do get Dreadfleet and ask him to paint them, I can't wait to see his video progress! I plan to do the same, albeit since I don't paint full time anymore it would take a while...lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cowling
Canada
Salmon Arm
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I think I'm in the headspace to convert some of my library into food and gas.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what kind of quality you're looking for, really, and whether you're fine with outsourcing to Asia or South America.

There's a lot of assembly time involved in those ships, and some of the painting will need to be done before assembly. I don't do commissions that pay me less that $30/hour, and I'm not Golden Demon quality.

For $200 I might provide assembly and simply blocked colour painting with one shade and one highlight, no more than five or six colours per unit. No detail work, no painting of the insignia on the sails. The alternating colour patches on the Tomb Kings ship? Nope.

That's about 45 minutes' work on each ship. Auxiliary figures and terrain not included.

I might charge as much as $2000 to replicate the GW style and give you pieces that are virtually identical to what you see on their website, and double that to include the auxiliaries and terrain, with a 30-day turnaround. Yes, I've gotten that kind of money for that kind of work. And I'm not nearly as skilled or well-paid as the big names in painting-for-hire. I actually charge less than many comparable North American painters because I have a Real Job and only take the occasional commission for beer money.

You might be able to send away to China or Thailand or Brazil and get something that is close to magazine quality for $2-$300. Or you might find a skilled amateur who doesn't know any better who'll do the job for you for $50.

My first painting contract paid $1/figure. By the time I was done, I hated the client with the white-hot heat of a thousand suns. My second painting contract was "triple the retail price of the figure for tabletop quality you can be proud of". I moved up from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SledgePainter wrote:
Also, if you do get Dreadfleet and ask him to paint them, I can't wait to see his video progress! I plan to do the same, albeit since I don't paint full time anymore it would take a while...lol.

Assuming I get Dreadfleet, it would be a while before he even gets to painting that. I am discussing the ins-and-outs of a Blood Bowl team with him right now, so that is (most likely) going to be the next project. I have also pre-ordered Puppet Wars (just the core box), so that will be some time after the BB team. Then, I still have Super Dungeon Explore and Leviathans on my "maybe" list. *sigh* Why couldn't I have just gotten into deckbuilding games? Why did it have to be miniatures games that gave me that tingly feeling inside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would LOVE to see your work! You simply must link me! I have to admit I'm jealous you found the people who were willing to pay you what you originally asked for a job, but haven't you also had arguments with folks telling you they wouldn't pay or simply not paying you? Heh, yes it DOES help to also have a side job so you don't have to worry. I've only come close to getting minimum wage when painting huge murals for schools or illustrating childrens books. I've done all kinds of art my entire life but I can't honestly say that I could ever have paid rent. Thankfully, even when I was working professionally I had a spouse with a "real job" to back me up and used my income as our entertainment fund. Here's my latest work on my SH stealers: http://s1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa324/SledgePainter/Spac... The auction I listed in a previous post for paint work went almost to $200 and I'm more than thrilled people liked my work enough to bid that high. It's made my day, actually. I'm very proud and happy I will be able to reasonably offer my services for the charity auction and not have it flop. I've learned over the years you can't put a price on feeling appreciated. Most people around me couldn't possibly care less about my artwork and don't bother to look at what I'm doing, so I guess I really needed this auction and YouTube as a pick-me-up. I love being able to talk to other gamers and painters on-line. I'm also happy to see people having these discussions because they appreciate a good-looking game and want to know more on how to go about getting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
*sigh* Why couldn't I have just gotten into deckbuilding games? Why did it have to be miniatures games that gave me that tingly feeling inside?

I blame Masters of the Universe. I had nearly the whole set when I was a kid, and had an absolute blast playing them with my brother. Even though I'm now into more, ahem, "serious" games, I can't shake my deep-rooted desire to conduct my battles with actual figures.

My card attacks your card? Bugger that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
Tennberg wrote:
*sigh* Why couldn't I have just gotten into deckbuilding games? Why did it have to be miniatures games that gave me that tingly feeling inside?

I blame Masters of the Universe. I had nearly the whole set when I was a kid, and had an absolute blast playing them with my brother. Even though I'm now into more, ahem, "serious" games, I can't shake my deep-rooted desire to conduct my battles with actual figures.

My card attacks your card? Bugger that!

Or it could be worse. You could be into miniatures, and CCGs, and everything else in between.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Martins
Brazil
flag msg tools
solidonelove wrote:
You might be able to send away to China or Thailand or Brazil and get something that is close to magazine quality for $2-$300. Or you might find a skilled amateur who doesn't know any better who'll do the job for you for $50.

Well, could you please point me to someone in Brazil who would do so? Because I'm from Brazil and I think 300 USD for that kind of work is outrageously cheap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I did it. I put in a pre-order for the game.

Once I can set aside enough funds, I will be having

Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

painting my set. He did a phenomenal job with my Space Hulk (third edition) minis, and I am confident that he will do just as well with the Dreadfleet ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
So, I did it. I put in a pre-order for the game.

Once I can set aside enough funds, I will be having

Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

painting my set. He did a phenomenal job with my Space Hulk (third edition) minis, and I am confident that he will do just as well with the Dreadfleet ships.

If he decides to do another video series you'll let us know, right?

Dreadfleet is looking to be a monster job, and it would be great to see how a pro handles the challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
If he decides to do another video series you'll let us know, right?

But, of course. Everyone enjoyed the SH videos, and a lot of people seemed to get some helpful tips out of it.

A Dreadfleet set, in some ways, looks to be like a bigger beast than a SH set. Sure, it's just 10 ships, but they're all vastly different. The SH minis were each unique, but all of them had a consistent theme. There's also the unique extras with Dreadfleet - monsters, terrain, smaller ships, etc.

The 10 main ships are also larger than the SH figures, and the level of detail is at least on par, if not more so. When he does get around to painting it (and should he decide to do a video series), it will definitely be a must-see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.