Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am receiving a gift card to my local game store and am looking for suggestions.

My current favorites are Tichu, Crokinole, Pandemic, and Alien Frontiers.

I have all the standard beginner games (Carcassonne Big Box, Alhambra, Defenders of the Realm, Ticket to Ride + 1910 expansion).

My most recent purchases have been Survive, Haggis, Triumvirate, Biblios, and Forbidden Island.

The cooperative games are neat and my family enjoys the medieval theme of DoTR. I built the Crokinole board and it is a huge hit with us, even more than PitchCar.

I am very interested in Fresco, Pirate's Cove, 7 Wonders, and Shadows over Camelot but I am worried about below average two player game play. In the end it might be worth it to pick up one of these fine games for when my kids get older.

Is there any game I am obviously missing or something new coming out I should wait for? Panic Station looks neat but that is close to Christmas and I can wish for that

In case someone is really bored my collection link is below with my ratings so you can see my preferences.

If the BGG group is bored then suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
E

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/gradman2k3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get Shadows Over Camelot I highly recommend getting the expansion, Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company, as well. After a handful of SoC games you'll have a pretty good idea of how to win, and the expansion makes the game a lot more interesting.

As far as playing it with two, my wife and I play it without the traitor on a semi-regular basis, and it's fun! It isn't the most deep game in the world, but we like the theme, the cooperation, and the different and persistent threats on the board.

The expansion for Pandemic, Pandemic: On the Brink, is really good as well if you want more Pandemic.

I haven't played Pirate's Cove, but have a look at Merchants & Marauders as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would enjoy playing Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Carson City.

Battlestar Galactica is a co-op game with a traitor element, set in a science fiction universe. Each player has a character and moves around the ship at will (or occupies a space fighter). Depending on where in the ship you move to, you get access to different actions. Most of the gameplay involves playing cards to overcome challenges and trying to determine who is secretly sabotaging your efforts to overcome them. Players frequently make lighthearted accusations of treason. The more players you have, the better. I would not recommend it for less than four but you might need an expansion to beyond that. Otherwise, the base game is great on its own even without expansions.

Carson City is a fun worker placement game set in the wild west, but its an economic game which is a nice twist. You are building up a frontier boomtown by claiming land, exploiting resources, and constructing buildings. When you and your opponents attempt the same action, your meeples fight a duel! It's got worker placement, role selection, and some interesting mechanisms that keep the market fluid and keep players from falling behind in the race.

These two games have a lot of theme, but also a lot of interaction which makes them fun in a similar way that Survive is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. A good game for two with the wife or younger kids would be nice. Carson City is one I had not heard of and I am reading some reviews now.
Thanks,

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nothing wrong with BSG, but it's not for 2.

I found 7 wonders pretty decent with two, since the third phantom player actually has some strategy rather than being random. If you need a game that plays 7 it's a good choice. I prefer other games for 2, but it does work just fine. It rounds out many game collections.

Another good choice would be Race for the Galaxy if you want to stick to cards. Otherwise, maybe branch out into a worker placement game, which seems to be missing from your collection. There are a lot of good choices there specially if you want something heavier. Carson city is a decent example. I keep adding/removing it from my shopping cart, since I have some other worker placement games already, but did enjoy playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I win!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Pandemic is very good with two players and you can scale the difficulty i.e. add more epidemic cards to the deck.

The expansion adds more variety to the game and is nice.

That would be my recommendation out of those you mentioned.

Alien frontiers is very nice it is a bit more 'meaty' that the others that you suggested.
7 wonders is good but if you have player any CCG's (especially magic) you may find it a little to simplistic and it only really excels with 4+ players

The other 'beginners' game that you havent mentioned is settlers of catan, this wont play two player but it a good game nontheless.

Aquaretto or zooloretto is also a very nice gatway game. Aquaretto has a bit more too it as you have to place your pieces with a bit more care.

hope that helps :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Infinite City. I recently picked this up and it has become a favorite in a short time. Tile laying and a lot of tension

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! I looked at Carson City and Infinite City and both looked interesting. I already owned the expansion for Pandemic so I was stuck on buying a game that my kids and wife would play.

I went to my local game store and was reminded of a game that I have played but did not own...Zooloretto. My kids love this game and it was a good selection for me. Luckily, since the price point was so low I was still able to pick up 7 Wonders and only went over budget by $14.

My thanks to BGG for all the suggestions. The best part was now I have more games I can add to my wishlist for Christmas.

As usual, the BGG community rocks.

Thanks,
E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.