Subject: laminating card sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever tried running some card sleeves (like the Mayday ones) through a laminator?

Just wondering how they'd go? I've got a number of games sleeved in the thinner penny sleeve type offered by Mayday, and while some are a fantastic snug fit that you wouldnt even know was there, others are sloppy joe, continually sliding out and interupting play.

I was wondering if I ran them through a laminator whether it would seal around the card....

Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an interesting experiment...I'll give it a run-through tonight and report back!

I have Mayday Premium sleeves (Chimera, Playing Card Green, and mini-Chimera), as well as generic WalMart sleeves I can try this out on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you risk ruining the card. The material of the sleeves varies and I would not trust it to withstand the lamination process without affecting the card material.

One thing that is probably a lot easier is to get "premium" sleeves. Because they tend to be rigid, the cards inside do not slide out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
you'd run the risk of ruining the cards AND the laminator used. lamination plastic is designed for a certain melting/bonding point. while some sleeves may accidentally work correctly (which i actually doubt), you'd stand a much greater chance of creating a gooey mess (and toxic fumes) all up in the mechanism and heating element of the laminator.

the bar-sealer idea in the link above is much more reasonable- you can control the duration, and the heating element on most of those kind of sealers is easy to access and covered with a teflon (or something similar) strip, so it's cleanable and replaceable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PrivateMeggido wrote:
I think you risk ruining the card. The material of the sleeves varies and I would not trust it to withstand the lamination process without affecting the card material.

One thing that is probably a lot easier is to get "premium" sleeves. Because they tend to be rigid, the cards inside do not slide out.

I've gone for premium sleeves for a few games, but when I first sleeved the premium range wasn't as good as it is now.

Thanks for all the comments. I had been thinking I'd do a trial on a non important card, like a blank from Dominion or something before I started running all my cards through.

Had wondered about a bag seal like Jonas used in the above link, but thought a laminator might address the air problem too, as it would do a rolling press as it went through.

Be interested to hear how you go Doc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to push the experiment off until the weekend. I want to do this right and come up with useful info, so I'll need to invest time in it which I won't have until Sunday at the soonest.

I have, I hope, a few good ideas to make this as informative as possible, so stay tuned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
I'm going to have to push the experiment off until the weekend. I want to do this right and come up with useful info, so I'll need to invest time in it which I won't have until Sunday at the soonest.

I have, I hope, a few good ideas to make this as informative as possible, so stay tuned

Wicked, sounds like a good show, am looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try putting the sleeves into baking paper to protect your machine. Fold the paper, put the card in the middle with the fold going into the machine first. Let me know how it goes. I don't dare try it.

moonglow wrote:
PrivateMeggido wrote:

I've gone for premium sleeves for a few games, but when I first sleeved the premium range wasn't as good as it is now.

Thanks for all the comments. I had been thinking I'd do a trial on a non important card, like a blank from Dominion or something before I started running all my cards through.

Had wondered about a bag seal like Jonas used in the above link, but thought a laminator might address the air problem too, as it would do a rolling press as it went through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already part of the plan. I will be using cards from a (relatively) cheap Bicycle poker or bridge deck from Walmart for the "test subjects". Sleeves will be cheapo baseball card thin sleeves, also from Walmart, and either Chimera or Standard Playing Card (Green) from Mayday (maybe both Mayday sleeves); sleeved cards will be run through the laminator (a cheap 3M model, again from Walmart) in pairs. I'll use standard inkjet paper and 110# card stock for carriers (I don't have a silicon carrier sheet). I will run sets through on both the 3mil and 10mil heat/speed settings this machine provides.

This should provide at least 4 pairs of comparisons; more, if I think of other things to try. I don't have butcher paper, and wouldn't use it anyway due to it being waxed. I may try to hunt down some unwaxed parchment paper, though, if I get a chance (I can always use it for wet pallettes).

Measurements of sleeved cards will be scanned before and after running through the laminator, and posted in (or 'as,' actually) the report.

tssfulk wrote:
Try putting the sleeves into baking paper to protect your machine. Fold the paper, put the card in the middle with the fold going into the machine first. Let me know how it goes. I don't dare try it.

moonglow wrote:
PrivateMeggido wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't they sell unwaxed baking paper for putting between cookie sheets and cookies at Wal-Mart?

dochogan wrote:
Already part of the plan. I will be using cards from a (relatively) cheap Bicycle poker or bridge deck from Walmart for the "test subjects". Sleeves will be cheapo baseball card thin sleeves, also from Walmart, and either Chimera or Standard Playing Card (Green) from Mayday (maybe both Mayday sleeves); sleeved cards will be run through the laminator (a cheap 3M model, again from Walmart) in pairs. I'll use standard inkjet paper and 110# card stock for carriers (I don't have a silicon carrier sheet). I will run sets through on both the 3mil and 10mil heat/speed settings this machine provides.

This should provide at least 4 pairs of comparisons; more, if I think of other things to try. I don't have butcher paper, and wouldn't use it anyway due to it being waxed. I may try to hunt down some unwaxed parchment paper, though, if I get a chance (I can always use it for wet pallettes).

Measurements of sleeved cards will be scanned before and after running through the laminator, and posted in (or 'as,' actually) the report.

tssfulk wrote:

moonglow wrote:
PrivateMeggido wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt this will work, but please send pictures of the results of your test...

As far as I know, laminating foils or bags are equipped with a thin layer of glue which is the part that melts at a certain temperature while the actual outer foil doesn't melt at all and keeps everything in shape.

Now card sleeves are pure foil only and I also guess they are made out of a different kind of plastic. Sealing sleeves can work because sealers use a higher temperature and there is only a very small stripe exposed to the heat so the rest of the (unheated) foil can keep it's shape. But if you expose the complete card sleeve to that temperature, I fear it will most likely end up in a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How's it looking Doc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
How's it looking Doc?
Got sidetracked (mild Attention Defi.. look shiny!) shake Will fire it up tonight after work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
moonglow wrote:
How's it looking Doc?
Got sidetracked (mild Attention Defi.. look shiny!) shake Will fire it up tonight after work

Time to start watching the news for house fires in Raleigh, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on this? I'm extremely interested in the results of the experiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Acosta
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Howard University College of Medicine
badge
Reptar, King of the Ozone
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was wondering the answer to this question myself and after a quick Google search, came across this thread. I see that no progress or definitive answer was ever posted here so I decided to try it out myself. I used a Scotch brand laminator and Clear Classic Dragon Shield sleeves to laminate some Fluxx promo cards I received in a Convention swag bag at some point. Realizing that I will probably never use these card, it didn't hurt to try this experiment on these cards... For this experiment, I had the laminator set at 3mm.

Result:

FAIL. The laminator melted through portions of the card sleeves, and although the cards themselves were not damaged, the sleeves were melted through in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wondered if you could seal the top of the sleeve using one of those kitchen bag sealers...

Someone try it and get back to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
I've always wondered if you could seal the top of the sleeve using one of those kitchen bag sealers...

Someone try it and get back to me.

Maybe in another five years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you're ok with it being permanent then cold laminate may be the answer. It's adhesive laminate and the big advantage is you can trim it off right to the edge of the card.
I'll be posting in the design forum detailing the process of making cards with cold laminate in the coming weeks. It'll be on the thread entitled "Designing and publishing a board game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Acosta
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Howard University College of Medicine
badge
Reptar, King of the Ozone
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
I'll be posting in the design forum detailing the process of making cards with cold laminate in the coming weeks. It'll be on the thread entitled "Designing and publishing a board game".

Can you post link here at that time?

Also, I have had success in the past laminating cards using Military Card Laminating Pouches for the game Mow Money, which has 190 cards in the game. Though this project did take roughly 2 hours to complete, I am pleased with the results. I chose to laminate the cards because it seems that the width of the cards in this game was slightly beyond standard size, and they would not fit well into the sleeves that I had purchased for the game originally. The end product with all of the cards together was, of course, substantially thicker than originally, but this seemed to work just fine for what this game is (all card-based). I don't think I would use this option for a game with a lot of cards where box-space is more limited, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
JoshuaAcosta wrote:
Dave P wrote:

Can you post link here at that time?

Will do.

Just on your point about thickness. I'm currently getting cards the thickness of regular playing cards using cold laminate both sides of 160gms card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like it would be easier and cheaper to get new sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave P wrote:
If you're ok with it being permanent then cold laminate may be the answer. It's adhesive laminate and the big advantage is you can trim it off right to the edge of the card.

Just like for hot laminate. If it doesn't stick to the medium itself you had shitty plastic or your machine was too cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Dave P wrote:

Just like for hot laminate. If it doesn't stick to the medium itself you had shitty plastic or your machine was too cold.

Not had any problem with cold laminate sticking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.