Popular Tags: [View All]
kristin Kieffer
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I have always loved games (stop theif, lie detector, risk, battle ship) however now that I am getting older (24) I am looking to games with more challenge and content I have done some searching and wanted to get the opinions of boardgamegeeks I use the term kindly, to decide on my first purchase. I have it narrowed to a list however I encourage other options. here is what I am thinking, oh I should also include that at the moment the most people playing will be around 3-4. soooo the list is..... drumb rooooolllllllll.......

and the order is not necessarily as listed.
1. dice town
2. settlers of catan
3. Dominion
4. memoir 44
5. Incan gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Memoir '44 is best with 2 players. It is a fine game, but perhaps not your first choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great a list to start with. Memoir 44 only works with 2 players so if you have 3 or 4 you should go with a different game. Dominion is really good but not very interactive (certainly not as much as Risk and Battleship). Dicetown and Settlers are more interactive but less strategic than Dominion. Dicetown is better than Settlers for a short game, Settlers is better if you want a longer game. Incan Gold is a quick warm up game for larger groups. It's a lot of fun, but it might not be so good with only three players. So I'd start with Dominion, Dicetown, or Settlers. Bohnanza is a good one for 3 or 4 that you could add to your list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb

Settlers of Catan would be an excellent choice. It works for three or four and has lots of expansions that take it down to two or up to six, as well as giving lots of variety. One of the things that makes it so good as an introductory game is that it is intuitive. What happens in the game mimics some aspects of real life and so it is easy for new players to make sense of it all.

On the same basis, Stone Age and Ticket to Ride would also be excellent choices as they are extremely intuitive as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmy Rink
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
If you're just getting started, I will assume the other people are just getting started as well. If that is the case, either Settlers of Catan or Dominion would be good bets. Both are easy to learn, fun, and will be great gateways to more complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Settlers
+1 Dominion

Also look at Carcassonne, Stone Age and Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Jurchen
United States
Altoona
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone also pretty new to the hobby, I agree that Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Dominion and Settlers seem to resonate the best with other new people to the hobby. Though I've really started to branch out and enjoy other games, these ones are always good ones to go back to when I'm introducing more people to games. They are that popular for a reason. Good luck gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Stone Age

Also look at Ticket to Ride and Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oregon is a great game for 2-4. For Sale is quick and fun for 3-6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kristin Kieffer
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Great thank you all for your input I am doing to purchase settlers, ticket to ride, and dominion. Also it was mentioned that settlers of catan can be played as 2 person with expansion? Is that correct? I am so excited to get started also does anyone have suggested sites for purchasing games??

THANK YOU ALL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers is not playable with 2 (and is best with 4), but there are some separate Catan themed card games for two. Dominion plays well with 2, and Ticket can play with two. I'd re-recommend Carcassonne if you are looking for another good starter game that works down to two players.

I like http://www.gamesurplus.com (should work for you also well based on your location) but there are many good online game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to boardgameprices.com, you can find out where those 3 are cheapest.

My default is coolstuffinc.com, but their free shipping kicks in at $100.
funagaingames.com is more expensive usually, but their shipping kicks in at $70, which may make them better for your order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone Age, and maybe take a look at Agricola as an alternative. Just start off with the family game rules. Adding the decks adds some complexity but once you've played a few family games, you'll probably be ready for it.

As far as online retailers go, I'm a sucker for http://www.miniaturemarket.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kristin Kieffer
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Great info! So I will scratch out Settler's of Catan for now and go with carcassone (looks fun and easy to catch on) I really wish there was a game group near to me so I don't confuse the rules or something stupid, if anyone knows of any near Upper Sandusky, OHIO please let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
We play Catan with two players and have always enjoyed it, best with three though.

+1 Catan
+1 Ticket to Ride
+1 Carcassonne
+1 Oregon
+1 Stone Age

My recommendations: have a look at Kingsburg, instead of dice town?, The Downfall of Pompeii and Pandemic in general.

For local gamers/groups try:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/users.php
there is a local search option

plus the Midwest forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/83/boardgamegeek/midwest

Ps: there are so great rule teaching video's on BGG plus rule tsar member to keep you right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Kristin.

Memoir is pure awesome and will serve you and your friends well if you have all played and enjoyed Risk together.

It plays best 2 but it does accommodate 3 and 4 well when played in teams and it can be fun to talk tactics with your partner and learn the game together in that fashion.

But it still might not be my first choice.

I would highly recommend Stone Age or Ticket to Ride. Both are excellent intro games with plenty of fun and challenge. Ticket to Ride is the easier to learn of those two.

I would not go for Incan Gold - you will find this just too simple, but it is a fun opening or closing game for a gaming session.

Not many of us have recommended Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne and that is because for many of us we have moved past these games to a large degree. But most of us got into this hobby with those titles so you shouldn't discount them.

The only thing against them is if you prefer combat, dice rolling conflict type games. If so then you are better to look at Memoir or King of Tokyo.

Final point is that Kingsburg is a brilliant game and is a dice rolling, resource collection style game similar to Stone Age. I wouldn't leap at Kingsburg just yet but if you do go for Stone Age then Kingsburg would be a wise choice 6 months or so down the track.

I hope you pick a game that is right for you and your group. Have fun.

EDIT - Dice Town is a fun dice roller but not as good as either Stone Age or Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

I suggest you access this part in the forum:
New Users Questions

HOW TO BGG

And this threads:
New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?

No Geek Left Behind ... (How to get an Avatar)

The games you could start to play are:

Stone Age
7 Wonders
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne
Agricola
Memoir '44
BANG!

Good games !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kristin Kieffer
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you great info!!! Everyone has been very helpful, when I logged in today there was a message screen and had winners of contests??? Are there contests on here too? I scourd the forums with no luck. Also miniaturemarket.com has been my favorite online retailer so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Contests are listed in the announcements section of the home page.

Since you're close to Columbus, you may want to check out the Origins game convention:

http://www.originsgamefair.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Memoir '44 because I learned just this week how great this two-player game is. You might really like it too because it's a theme-rich boardgame. And then get a free version of Splut! for when you are with 3 or 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Risk, add the upcoming Nexus Ops to your list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Settlers - that's how we started, back when I was in university, moving on from family games to more serious ones, and it's a good first step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nickerson
Canada
Fort St John
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I got heavy into the board game hobby back in February 2011, and here is the order I have bought my games in...

-Apples to Apples
-Sequence
-Wits & Wagers
-Say Anything
-Ticket to Ride
-Carcasonne
-Magic Labyrinth
-Travel Blog
-Memoir '44
-Dominion
-Pandemic
-Small World
-Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
-Ticket to Ride: The Card Game
-10 Days in Africa
-Tobago
-Zooloretto (Great starter game)
-Lost Cities: The Board Game -Mystery Express
-Long Shot
-Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
-Disney Pixar Cars 2 Sorry Sliders: World Grand Prix Race Edition
-Liar's Dice
-Tiki Topple
-For Sale

Any of these games are great to start building a collection with, except maybe Disney Pixar Cars 2 Sorry Sliders: World Grand Prix Race Edition & Magic Labyrinth which I bought to play with my kids.

Having downloaded Ticket to Ride on the xbox 360 late in 2010, that is what got my wife and I heavily into the boardgame hobby and needed to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.