Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule reads Retreat and Advance after Combat. Retreat is covered in depth (well, as much depth as a 1970s game did--it still left open-ended the question of winding routes back to one's camp), but the big problem is the rule stopped dead after covering retreat and never did mention advance after combat. Most games of that era allowed a victorious unit to occupy a hex that was vacated by the enemy (and one unit is all that could advance in Iliad, with it's single man-to- single man combat rules. But the rules are silent---I guess we shall never know if the designers intended Advance After Combat to occur or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of this recently and noticed the exact same thing when I tried out the game. I decided that the attacker was allowed to advance into a vacated spot - why else would you have a section called Advance after Combat. I wasn't willing to allow the attacker to advance more than 1 spot if the defender retreated 2+ because that is not always the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a shot at contacting One of the designers, and lucked up. His son is a professor and he forwarded my combat questions to his Dad, who made me a copy of the manually typewritten submission they made to GDW--just the page on combat, which was the only real problem I had with the rules. GDW should have not tried to get fancy and just copied the designers combat rules verbatim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.