James Lin
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Two of the Boomer cards state the following:

If a COG figure is within X range: Attack the nearest COG figure within LOS.

Since the card didn't say "within X movement", I check for distance by tracing a line from the Boomer's area or cover space to the nearest area containing a COG.

But what if the COG is out of LOS from hiding in a cover space? Page 21 has a good example with the blue line between the Drone and Augustus Cole's area. If Cole was in the cove space next to him, then he's still within 3 range of the Drone but the Drone can't actually fire on his position because he can't trace a line to the cover spot.

If I follow this interpretation, then the Boomer cards mentioned above would resolve themselves without changing the state of the game.

2. If a figure is in a cover space at the beginning of its turn and it doesn't move, does it still have the option of moving out of cover for the purposes of establishing LOS on a target?

In page 21, can the Drone move out of cover to trace a line to Marcus's cover spot if his AI card did not specify any sort of movement? Page 14 states that moving out is free, but it sounds like you need to perform some sort of movement first (even if it's moving in place).

3. When a Locust moves into an area, does it move into cover even if doing so would prevent it from achieving LOS to a target?

In page 21, if Drone #4 had a move-and-fire AI card and just arrived at his current area, does he immediately move into the cover space and deny himself a shot at Marcus's cover spot? Page 15 seems to imply this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions. I have my opinions, but I'm going to wait and see what others say. I was wondering these myself while playtesting the game solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DFuzzy1 wrote:
But what if the COG is out of LOS from hiding in a cover space? Page 21 has a good example with the blue line between the Drone and Augustus Cole's area. If Cole was in the cove space next to him, then he's still within 3 range of the Drone but the Drone can't actually fire on his position because he can't trace a line to the cover spot.

Pretty simple, the AI is to attack the nearest COG in LOS. If he doesn't have LOS to the cover area, he doesn't have LOS, so you ignore that COG for determining whom to attack.

DFuzzy1 wrote:
2. If a figure is in a cover space at the beginning of its turn and it doesn't move, does it still have the option of moving out of cover for the purposes of establishing LOS on a target?

No. The only time you move into and out of cover is beginning/end of movement, period. If the figure didn't move, then it stays in/out of cover. Look at pg 14. of rules, "Moving out of cover is also free, and happens at the start of a figure’s movement." Notice it did not say "start of attack" or "start of figure's turn".

DFuzzy1 wrote:
3. When a Locust moves into an area, does it move into cover even if doing so would prevent it from achieving LOS to a target?

Yes, but only those with the Cover icon (for example, Boomers never move into cover). Sometimes the AI isn't very smart, but in this case I think it's thematic. The Locust wants to live, and so would move into safety rather than staying out of safety, even if that meant he couldn't fire at the COG.

HTH,

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of LOS (Without actually having the game) was that you trace it from anywhere in the area, not directly to the cover space. The cover space gives you a defensive bonus and you only need to check direct LOS to a COG in cover to determine if it is full or partial cover.

Don't know if this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmzomba wrote:
My understanding of LOS (Without actually having the game) was that you trace it from anywhere in the area, not directly to the cover space. The cover space gives you a defensive bonus and you only need to check direct LOS to a COG in cover to determine if it is full or partial cover.

Don't know if this helps.

Not quite right. If neither attacker or target is in cover, then you can trace from anywhere in one area to another. If one is in cover, the other isn't, from anywhere in the non-cover area to the cover arrow. If both in cover, then have to draw LOS from cover arrow to cover arrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone come up with a solution to counting range?

I know how to count movement range, but I still don't know how COGs (for weapon cards) and Locusts (for AI cards) count range "in general" (as some AI cards (just use the word "range" without directly referring to movement or attacking) and I can't find it in the rules book.

I can think of those possible solutions:

A) count all spaces that touch the line of sight

B) count all spaces that touch a line that takes the shortest route from origin space to destination space (thus ignoring the actual position of miniatures in cover)

C) count movement spaces

D) some other way

Which one is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Range is actually clearly defined in the rules:

Quote:
Measuring Range
Range is measured by counting how many areas the
figure would need to move from its current area into
the target area. Elevation borders are treated as normal
movement borders when measuring range and LOS.

GOW Rulebook, pg 20

So to answer your question, it's C "count movement spaces" with one caveat, treat the elevated (blue border) edges as normal (i.e. can move through them).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, ok, must have missed that one. I'm glad that this is clearly defined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
DFuzzy1 wrote:

Pretty simple, the AI is to attack the nearest COG in LOS. If he doesn't have LOS to the cover area, he doesn't have LOS, so you ignore that COG for determining whom to attack.

And what if the COG is the only one?
The question is : do we have to resolve "OTHERWISE" part of the card and move Boomer closer, or should we leave it where it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinnTroll wrote:
shnar wrote:
DFuzzy1 wrote:

And what if the COG is the only one?
The question is : do we have to resolve "OTHERWISE" part of the card and move Boomer closer, or should we leave it where it is.

The rules do not make a statement that in order for a figure to be "in range" they also have to be "in LOS". So you have to look at the specific AI card in question. Let's take a look at this one as an example:

The condition is "If a COG figure is within 2 Range:". Since there's no indication of LOS, you see if that condition applies. The COG *is* within 2 Range (even if the only COG on the board). So you go to the "if unwounded, attack the nearest COG figure within LOS". He attacks, but since he cannot draw LOS, he attacks nothing.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A another question regarding cover.

Some weapons so wound all other figures in the area for every omen rolled.

Does this include figures in cover, and also is it cumulative e.g. multiple omens do multiple damages to other figures?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game as written. If the damage makes no exception for cover, don't give the figure in cover any exception.

The rules for cover are pretty clear, they add 1 or 2 defensive dice to an attack. That's it, as far as the rules are concerned. Everything else is a specific caseon a card (Locust AI, damage, etc). So if that specific case doesn't make any specific allowances for cover, don't give any allowances (I.e. treat the figure the same as one not in cover).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
So in this AI card, if the Boomer is wounded and within 2 range of a CoG, he just heals and stays put?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MellonHead1980 wrote:
So in this AI card, if the Boomer is wounded and within 2 range of a CoG, he just heals and stays put?

Well, except that we're talking about a Drone

But yes, if the Drone is wounded, instead of attacking he heals himself, but ONLY if he is within 2 Range. Otherwise he qualifies for the second half of the card.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kin Poon
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Oh opps.

Sorry yes I meant the Drone.

I much rather be attacked by a Drone than a Boomer anyday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falk Nitzsche
Germany
Jena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Range is actually clearly defined in the rules:

Quote:
Measuring Range
Range is measured by counting how many areas the
figure would need to move from its current area into
the target area. Elevation borders are treated as normal
movement borders when measuring range and LOS.

GOW Rulebook, pg 20

So to answer your question, it's C "count movement spaces" with one caveat, treat the elevated (blue border) edges as normal (i.e. can move through them).

-shnar

Hi, i got my copy of GoW on Friday, and played now 4 times, with the rule above. This morning i read the rules again, and saw, that the example of page 13 -Marcus sealed the Emergence hole- is wrong, because he trowed the Bolo 3 paces or am I wrong? Or is it possible to jump over the cover like in the video game? When yes the wretch have to say in Marcuse space, and the Drones in the space of the wretches.

Can somebody please explain it to me?

Kind regards

Falk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FalkN wrote:
Hi, i got my copy of GoW on Friday, and played now 4 times, with the rule above. This morning i read the rules again, and saw, that the example of page 13 -Marcus sealed the Emergence hole- is wrong, because he trowed the Bolo 3 paces or am I wrong?

E-hole is only two spaces away from Marcus (first space being the one with the two Wretches, second south of them, the empty space with the sealed token).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falk Nitzsche
Germany
Jena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your fast answer. You are right, it was my mistake because I was fixed on the map exit door, not the emergence hole

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.