Popular Tags: [View All]
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first RTL campaign passed from Copper to Silver last session, and a fine time was had by all.

In the previous session, the party had decided to take on the Copper Legendary Dungeon, the Caverns of Thuul. We were coming up hard on two hundred combined CT's, so they were carefully monitoring conquest tokens, two players keeping independent count.

Greed won out, and they decided to risk the last gem pile/dragon. After killing the Gem Dragon, they were exactly at what they had agreed was an acceptable level... but this brought them into contact with a Legion of the Dead I had spawned far behind them and steadily advanced. These wounded Laughin Baldur (a non-player character, passed around from week to week by our three party players) well nigh unto death... but two points short.

He just had to step one square closer to the Glyph, and stand for turn.

Danielle's Landrec advanced and used a breath weapon rune to wipe my Legion... the breath come just missed a lone Master Kobold. I had kept him out of the way most of the level, wanting his trap discount, but followed at a distance.

Carl's Karnon equipped a bow to take a shot at the Kobold, and finger-counted his movement. Bones, playing Grey Ker, suggested he might need to reduce the range one more, given the dice he was rolling, with no trait dice. To get the extra square, Karnon stepped into Laughin's square... and I dropped the Falling Block I had just drawn on them.

I would not have had an opportunity to use the trap if Karnon hadn't gone first and entered Laughin's square... and there went four precious Conquest Tokens.

They are now focused entirely on getting to Olmric's Hut for their Copper level secret training without giving up or earning any more CT's than they have to...

They purchase the Guide party upgrade, allowing them to roll one less die for encounters (They are already rolling one extra, due ot my Lawlessness upgrade).

The combined CT's stand at 190.

The most recent session began with my gaining two CT, for 192. The party used the Staff of the Wilderness to travel to the razed city of Dawnsmoor, where Lord Merick Farrow was located, carrying the First Scroll of the Sun. Both sides declined to meet. (There was some discussion on this point, since Merick was still using his Copper level stats, and would be Silver next time they caught up with him... but given that the party only wins the campaign if they win the final combat, it was decided that two point of fatigue apiece were crucial.)

The party had an encounter. Snakes in the Grass; Naga and an Ogre, near a Swollen River. It was an ambush, and the Ogre used knockback to toss Danny's Landrec to the Master Naga, which grappled her.

Two CT's is the maximum the party can afford to give up or gain.

Karnon, Grey Ker and Laughin blow through the regular Nagas and escape. Danny takes the Ogre off their backs, and turns to face with Master Naga. With all the three and four CT Heroes off the board, it's two CT's one way or the other.

She got them, but I left her with only two health. 194.

I gain two at the start of the next week, for 196. The party hopscotches over the rumor marker (X Marks the Spot) and lands on a new dungeon, which they burn without entering. One CT for them; 197.

I gain two, for 199. With bated breath, they roll the encounter die...

...and get an Encounter.

A non-combat encounter, but one that does wounds to the party. Danny rolls enough surges to stay alive, with one wound left.

They roll into Olmric's hut.

The next week is a Copper week, since the total at the turn start is less than 200. I receive two CT, making it 201, and they take their secret training, everyone gaining 2 fatigue. They stay another week, and the player characters each take a skill (Rapid Fire, Quick Casting and Cleave), while Laughin gets a third silver die.

Bones grins at me. "That's what I love about this game. These Christmas moments."

The next turn, they go for the Rumor dungeon. To my chagrin, I have overspent on Treachery, and am two points shy of being able to upgrade my Beasts. They blow through the first two levels (Fire and Ice and Divide and Conquer) in crackerjack time; I have Evil Genius in play, but am not sure I will make it through my deck. Carl gets a Bo Stick for Karnon out of the first chest, the Reach ability a nice addition to his new Cleave; Grey Ker picks up the Bow of Bone in Tamilir. They perform some amazing tricks with their flashy new skills and enhanced fatigue, but somehow, luck favors me. Laughin gets blown into a pit from seven squares away; skeletons make pot shots from extreme long ranges... over and over. They are moving well and slaying lots, but I am staying just ahead in CT's, despite there being two glyphs on every level.

Finally, I use a Spell of Binding on Laughin and Karnon, and it just lasts and lasts. My Undying creatures at last live up to their name. I nearly wipe the party twice, but Karnon, alone in the Dungeon, manages to get to the final chest, and claim the rumor reward... and be turned into a monkey.

They choose the web casting bow from the silver deck, and I have my master skeletons shoot the monkey a few times, but stop short of killing him. After all, he can't escape... and delaying him one turn runs out my deck, and gets me three CT's.

Then I kill the monkey for four more. Final CT's for the night, a huge total... 29 for the party, 40 for the Overlord.

As I said, a fine time was had by all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
To get the extra square, Karnon stepped into Laughin's square... and I dropped the Falling Block I had just drawn on them.

Crushing Block
Play this card when a hero moves into an empty space that is not adjacent to any obstacles. ...

Quote:
The next week is a Copper week, since the total at the turn start is less than 200. I receive two CT, making it 201, and they take their secret training, everyone gaining 2 fatigue.

Fortunately it all worked out!

Quote:
As I said, a fine time was had by all.

And that's why we play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Radulla wrote:
To get the extra square, Karnon stepped into Laughin's square... and I dropped the Falling Block I had just drawn on them.

Crushing Block
Play this card when a hero moves into an empty space that is not adjacent to any obstacles. ...

Oh my stars and garters... thanks, looks like I owe the players four CT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
corbon wrote:
Radulla wrote:

Crushing Block

maybe/maybe not. you probably would have killed someone eventually, who knows. what would have been killer, was if it went to silver without them getting fatigue upgrade. if that was the case, and knowing the correct ruling now, i would probably rule it to roll it back and let them get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
corbon wrote:
Radulla wrote:

Crushing Block

I thought in RtL there was only gaining of CT. Did you take 4 from them or give yourself 4?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Radulla wrote:
corbon wrote:
Radulla wrote:

Crushing Block

I thought in RtL there was only gaining of CT. Did you take 4 from them or give yourself 4?...

By "owe" I meant that I had to reduce my CT total by four; it was an imprecise choice of words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.