3 Posts

Days of Decision III» Forums » Rules

Subject: Embargo on Dutch oil to Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
mbmbmbmbmb
US entry option 31, "Oil Embargo", has the following text:

"Japan no longer receives any resources from the US or from the Netherlands East Indies."

I think this could cause some confusion in certain scenarios with DoD III. Here are the main scenarios I could come up with right away, and my opinion of how entry option 31 should be implemented.

a. Japan is receiving the oil through a trade agreement (IPO2) directly with the Netherlands.
The embargo should go into effect as normal.

b. The Netherlands are controlled by a major power in another ideology (e.g. France or the CW) and Japan is receiving the oil through a trade agreement (MP3) with that power.
I still think the embargo should go into effect here.

c. The Netherlands are in the Fascist ideology, controlled either by Japan herself or another fascist power.
Well ... this is the main reason I am posting this question. If the oil is directly controlled by Japan, should the embargo go into effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamukk wrote:
US entry option 31, "Oil Embargo", has the following text:

"Japan no longer receives any resources from the US or from the Netherlands East Indies."

I think this could cause some confusion in certain scenarios with DoD III. Here are the main scenarios I could come up with right away, and my opinion of how entry option 31 should be implemented.

a. Japan is receiving the oil through a trade agreement (IPO2) directly with the Netherlands.
The embargo should go into effect as normal.

b. The Netherlands are controlled by a major power in another ideology (e.g. France or the CW) and Japan is receiving the oil through a trade agreement (MP3) with that power.
I still think the embargo should go into effect here.

c. The Netherlands are in the Fascist ideology, controlled either by Japan herself or another fascist power.
Well ... this is the main reason I am posting this question. If the oil is directly controlled by Japan, should the embargo go into effect?

Generally in WIF, if a major power controls a minor country, it can use that minor country's resources and doesn't need a trade agreement to do so. The oil embargo essentially ends trade agreements involving the NEI - but if Netherlands are controlled by a Fascist power, no effect I'd think.

But I've only played DOD3 once, years ago...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thorp
Sweden
flag msg tools
"I find that 'pinpoint' accuracy during a bombing run increases proportionally with the amount of munitions used."
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Generally in WIF, if a major power controls a minor country, it can use that minor country's resources and doesn't need a trade agreement to do so. The oil embargo essentially ends trade agreements involving the NEI - but if Netherlands are controlled by a Fascist power, no effect I'd think.

But I've only played DOD3 once, years ago...

Yes, that is what I believe to be open to interpretation. On one hand, it makes sense for Japan to be able to whatever they want with resources in countries and territories they control. On the other hand, some sort of international embargo on the trade along with interdiction along the China Sea is not beyond the realm of possibility. Oh well, I will discuss this with my co-players and we will work something out.

Thanks for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.