Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Would you buy Netrunner if it was relaunched by FFG?
With the recent news that FFG bought the rights for both the Star Wars and, more recently, Nexus Ops, it is only natural that we, fans, petition this and show interest in one of the best defunct card games ever designed by Richard Garfield.
Would you buy Netrunner if it was relaunched by FFG?
Yes, in any way or format they release it
Yes, but only if it was a complete game (not collectible, like Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game
Yes, but only if it's released as a LCG (Warhammer: Invasion, Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game)
Yes, but only if it's released in the same format, as a CCG
No.
      231 answers
Poll created by endou_kenji
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but only if it was fully compatible with the cards I already own.

I believe the problem with the Netrunner license is that the ruleset is owned by WotC and the art and setting is owned by R. Talsorian (good chance I misspelled that), so it would be a 3-way negotiation to acquire the rights (at least the rights to make the same game, I guess they could just deal with Talsorian to make a new game set in that universe).

Not to say we'll never see it, but it sure seems unlikely unless WotC decides to enter the LCG market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:

I would gladly buy it all over again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playing and explaining the game I have found it hard not to relate it to the Matrix movie. If I were to make a game on these mechanics, I would try that license which will surely sell more than a more obscure Cyberpunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
playing and explaining the game I have found it hard not to relate it to the Matrix movie. If I were to make a game on these mechanics, I would try that license which will surely sell more than a more obscure Cyberpunk.

And would turn me off completely. No offense to you, but Cyberpunk 2020 holds an infinite amount more interest to me than that movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:

And would turn me off completely. No offense to you, but Cyberpunk 2020 holds an infinite amount more interest to me than that movie.

I wouldn't mind the retheme to Shadowrun as well... (hell, who am I lying to, I would LOVE it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Netrunner but I dread teaching it even to an experienced player. It would be great if they crafted an "easy play" game mode to be used for a person's first play (I think Mayfair does this).

FF seems to be the perfect home for this game. Maybe AEG would like to diversify some?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
Matrix movie

Cyberpunk 2020

Neither holds much appeal for me. I don't think The Matrix fits all that well; the cyberpunk is drowned out by the other themes. Cyberpunk 2020 is totally obscure. How big an audience was reached by an offbeat RPG?

Why not just a generic cyberpunk setting? That's what I thought NR was at first. Seems trivially easy to "re-skin" it. But if there has to be a "brand" of some sort, I think Ghost in the Shell fits okay, and would have more mass appeal than an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome game. As for who holds the right to the artwork, who cares!? Net runner has some of the fugliest art on a CCG ever. A total change of art direction and perhaps a re-theme to the Shadowrun universe would be just what this game needed.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll needs checkboxes. I would click multiple options here.

And mark me down for liking the original art and theme. I think LCG sounds most likely, but I would take what I can get. It would be nice if the cards were compatible, but not a deal breaker or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
playing and explaining the game I have found it hard not to relate it to the Matrix movie.

Weird, I've played this a lot, and watched all the Matrix movies (though I only really liked the first), and I never drew much connection. Where is the machine-run dystopia using humans as fuel, the faux martial-arts, the Gnosticism, the messianic mission?

(And: who wants that stuff in the game? Not me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I actually like the original artwork, too. I think it could use an update, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Where is the machine-run dystopia using humans as fuel, the faux martial-arts, the Gnosticism, the messianic mission?

Not the movie like it is but elements they share with Cyberpunk. The Runner is a hacker (which everyone is familiar with) which gets brain death when he gets enough damage on him, "Oh so he is connected like in Matrix". The Net is seen as a Virtual Reality were stuff happens, "Matrix like". It's just that the connections to it are made. There is not that much of a difference in seeing corporations or machines as the enemy (yes, they usually want to play as the "hacker").
When you know nothing or little about the genre, you go to what you do know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:

No, no, no. You go with an obscure role-playing game that at least a couple hundred people have heard of!

(Thanks for the response, and I agree. You go with what you know, and I'm sure more people relate to The Matrix than Blade Runner, Neuromancer, and Ghost in the Shell combined, and a few orders of magnitude more than have even heard of Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS Cyberpunk, or Shadowrun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
This poll needs checkboxes. I would click multiple options here.

And mark me down for liking the original art and theme. I think LCG sounds most likely, but I would take what I can get. It would be nice if the cards were compatible, but not a deal breaker or anything.

That's why there is a "Yes, in any way or format" option ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a re-release.

And I really like the way Netrunner isn't a movie-book-band-cartoon-TV-show tie in. There are enough of those.

It has a unique feel, a blend of Neuromancer, Blade Runner and Robocop without being explicitly any of them. The game and cyberpunk theme fit together so well it would be a pity to hash it up with a lame movie license deal.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a good enough game to stand on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:

This.

Given their market strategy I'm sure they will release it as LCG, not compatible with the old cards (different backs, rewording very strong cards, etc.).

Until then I'm happy with the CCG cards I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also be happy with a NetRunner-inspired LCG set in their Android universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
endou_kenji wrote:
radynski wrote:
This poll needs checkboxes.

That's why there is a "Yes, in any way or format" option ;P

Well that would be great if I was willing to buy it in any format, but I'm not. However, I am willing to buy it as a stand-alone game OR as an LCG. This is why I suggested checkboxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyberpunk RPG has been around quite a long time now and it has out-lasted even Shadowrun. Though unfortunately not by very much.

Obscure? Hardly. It certainly wasnt at the time the CCG came out.
Though oddly enough the CCG feems more like the cyberspace side of Shadowrun and Shadowrun CCG feels more like the flesh side of Cyberpunk... (if you remove the fantasy elements)

As for FFG getting this. Isnt going to happen. As has been discussed Here and on the Netrunner forum. WOTC does not own the liscense to this game and Talsorian is very unlikely to let the liscense go after how WOTC monumentally botched things. Not to say its impossible. But all considered, its very unlikely to ever occur.

waddball wrote:
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:

No, no, no. You go with an obscure role-playing game that at least a couple hundred people have heard of! :p

(Thanks for the response, and I agree. You go with what you know, and I'm sure more people relate to The Matrix than Blade Runner, Neuromancer, and Ghost in the Shell combined, and a few orders of magnitude more than have even heard of Cyberpunk 2020, GURPS Cyberpunk, or Shadowrun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
As for FFG getting this. Isnt going to happen. As has been discussed Here and on the Netrunner forum. WOTC does not own the liscense to this game and Talsorian is very unlikely to let the liscense go after how WOTC monumentally botched things. Not to say its impossible. But all considered, its very unlikely to ever occur.

Over the past year or so Richard Garfield has said in several places that he's considering spending his accumulated influence to get Netrunner back in his hands. *TAP*

Personally I'd love to see him design a new bluffing LCG. Asymetric or not- I'd love to see what he'd make of that concept in this day and age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if WOTC worked to pay off whatever they owed Talsorian and the extra in lost revinue they denied Talsorian in royalties or liscensing by just *incinerating* the game. Then Talsorian might be more agreeable.

Which would make the whole thing immenently more possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. M.
msg tools
Hey! I have like all the Chromebooks! Yeah, I didn't even know the two were linked until after I bought Cyberpunk (the red one, second ed i think?) quite some time after netrunner hit my sweaty palms. Unfortunately most other gamers had already moved on from it netrunner by the time I into it, and so had WotC... back to magic or whatever...

Yes, it has some horrible artwork, it also has some very cool artwork, IMHO. I thought it was a perfect mixture however, not only for the setting, but for the feeling of the game, and it didn't distract too much; and I prefer it psychologically when art reminds me of the game, instead of just being a cool representation of something obliquely mentioned (at its extreme) in the game text, or causing my mind to keep jumping back to imagining the artwork made flesh (or the like), or just keep popping back in my head b/c it's such catching artwork by itself

Matrix? Please... Anime? No thanks. I want NETRUNNER, not a game that copies the basic mechanic with a vaguely similar theme.

As far as shadowrun, it's near criminal, but I've only ever played the SNES game, not any of the real ones. But from the look of it, and what people are saying here, it sounds like the best non-identical mating partner.

Being a fan of Cthulhu CCG by FFG (but haven't played since the third asylum pack came out), i naturally had to look up what an LCG was. Okay, fine... I don't care what flavor the packs come in, just let me in. IF i can use my old cards, which are still in near mint condition, all the better, but this game is good enough to go for another round, should they change the backs or something lame like that. New artwork? Fine, just don't totally screw it up by having everything an overly cartoony look like that weird online ccg "urban rivals" whoah, didn't even try that thing. I just installed Lackey and the NET module, NO PLAYERS. then i found this thread... YES! Bring it back! (Even in a "complete game" whatever with expansions like Race for the Galaxy?!)

And thanks for the discussion about the WotC/etc. details, I didn't know any of the licensing details.

(voted for first option...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthulgan wrote:
I love Netrunner but I dread teaching it even to an experienced player. It would be great if they crafted an "easy play" game mode to be used for a person's first play (I think Mayfair does this).

FF seems to be the perfect home for this game. Maybe AEG would like to diversify some?

At a conservative estimate, I've taught this game to 100+ people over the years.
One huge help are the original playmats from The Duelist magazine, which I've had laminated.
It's really not that hard to teach once you get a routine going.
Also, never teach them the Runner first, always teach the Corp to newbies.

As for FFG, please no. They would package the original cards in 50 different packages and make the game more expensive than it is right now in my opinion.

The LCG model has always smelled like a big scam to make people spend (bunches of) money, who when they hear the initials CCG, end up quivering in a corner or spouting smoke from their ears in indignation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:

As for FFG, please no. They would package the original cards in 50 different packages and make the game more expensive than it is right now in my opinion.

The LCG model has always smelled like a big scam to make people spend (bunches of) money, who when they hear the initials CCG, end up quivering in a corner or spouting smoke from their ears in indignation.

I own and buy every LCG FF makes. There's no scam. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than any CCG could ever be. I spend $15 a month on 3 copies of 20 new cards. No chasing cards ever.

I got tired of chasing, so sue me =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.