Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is going second in a 2 player basic game the kiss of death? 1st player should go all in to the agora, and since they win ties they can stay there for 1 turn. The Agora player gets a lead on money which is good to get more stuff like leaders/knowledge for Zeus etc.

I was just playing a game, and I felt like I was out of it from turn 1.

I went to the "go first" temple, but the extra food isnt so great especially since I have to build a gold building to try and pay zeus.

But maybe I'm playing it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Lautert
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple counter-strategy would be:
- Move only your leader to Poseidon
- Choose to move first
- In the next movement phase, bring your leader back and then move all your PopMarkers to the Theatre (there probably will be only the opponent's leader there).

While he got one gold in the first turn, you got one knowledge, and the extra food might have helped you to have one popmarker more, depending on what you built. So, I'd say the situations are more or less even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mitchell
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Actually I prefer to take Poseidon temple, even sometimes doing that when I have the option of going first. I usually bring one pop marker with me, and leave it there when I return the leader. I've noticed that I value Poseidon more than most other players. It gives 1 knowledge, 1 food, plus choice of turn order. What a good deal for a single pop marker. And if another player wants the temple, they have to use up a later turn, where in the later turns there are a lot more options to take other hexes like gold mines instead.

Also, remember that going first is an advantage in the tribute phase, as you win ties.

- Scott (Scott on Yucata.de, currently one of the top 10 players of Atlantida)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.