Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Black Industries vs. FFG Revised Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won a copy of this game on eBay for £35 inc. p&p.

The seller wrongly listed it as the revised edition. It is, in fact, the Black Industries edition.

Before I confirm the sale, which is better: Black Industries, or FFG Revised?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I have owned both, and I would say the FFG Talisman (Revised 4th Edition). For an eBay sale I would be concerned that the seller is attempting to defraud you, as there is little demand for the Black Industries edition. One reason for that is that it is not compatible with the later FFG expansions without the additional Talisman Upgrade Pack. Another difference that matters to a lot of people is that the FFG Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) included unpainted plastic miniatures for each of the characters, whereas the Black Industries version had only cardboard standups (which I actually preferred).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the FFG Revised edition is somewhat better; I like the re-rolls Fantasy Flight has introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is better.
- Minis instead of cardboard heroes
- The board is a little bigger
- They have tons of expansion modules, most of them are really great (BI has none)
- Better tokens for Life/Strength/Craft

Although, I had to admit, the card format of BI was a little better.

FFG offered a conversion kit (to upgrade from the BI to the FFG version), but AFAIK, it's out of print and the chances for a reprint are nil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
FFG offered a conversion kit (to upgrade from the BI to the FFG version), but AFAIK, it's out of print and the chances for a reprint are nil.

There are some of those kits still listed on Amazon, though the prices range from exorbitant to not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - that's what I thought. I have asked for a refund!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like the small cards that came with the FFG version. They had this thick, ugly white frame around them that was absolutely useless and a waste of space, therefore they sized down the picture on every card but not to a consistent size. Some of the pictures are also cut off which is a shame because the artwork was great.

Besides this, the new FFG version is the better one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFaust wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

There are some of those kits still listed on Amazon, though the prices range from exorbitant to not.

TimeWellSpent games still has (as of this posting) 2 copies of the upgrade pack left for about $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
DrFaust wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

TimeWellSpent games still has (as of this posting) 2 copies of the upgrade pack left for about $15.

And Thought Hammer has it listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock".

I think that they have already reprinted the upgrade kit at least once, so it's not entirely out of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought 1 set from miniature market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a revised 4e with all expansions except Sacred Pool and Dragon.It rocks. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look closer...
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm

I just got the BI version in a math trade - in shrink

I wasn't really aware of the difference between that & the FFG version until I started looking around.

I suppose I could just keep the game in shrink and trade again... but is it really that big of a deal ? I assume the game plays pretty much the same and that I would enjoy this version just as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
hmmm

I just got the BI version in a math trade - in shrink

I wasn't really aware of the difference between that & the FFG version until I started looking around.

I suppose I could just keep the game in shrink and trade again... but is it really that big of a deal ? I assume the game plays pretty much the same and that I would enjoy this version just as much.

If you want to expand the game with the FFG released expansions its a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hungerford
United States
LA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a dead thread....BUT I originally purchased the BI version then was heartbroken to hear it was being dumped. Only to find out later that FFG was going to release it and with the new revised version of 4th edition, the Upgrade Pack. I still own and play with my original BI board, but use the Upgrade Pack to make it work with my complete set of Talisman 4th edition revised expansions. Never had a problem with gameplay or mechanics, and no more arguments then Talisman already produces from the rules lawyers.

To be honest I think it's a kind of geek-cred to own the original BI game. Considering I own almost every version of the Talisman game. DAMN YOU, 2ND EDITION DRAGON EXPANSION AND YOUR EXPENSIVE EBAY BIDS!!!!

(I just wanted to nerd-brag.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Francis
United States
Portsmouth
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the release of Relic I decided to pull out my copy of Talisman and found out it is the BI edition. Since the upgrade pack (if you can find it) is hella expensive, I may just add the revised edition to my collection at some point. I'd be interested in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomoarigato wrote:
With the release of Relic I decided to pull out my copy of Talisman and found out it is the BI edition. Since the upgrade pack (if you can find it) is hella expensive, I may just add the revised edition to my collection at some point. I'd be interested in the expansions.

2 of 4 small box expansions are expensive too, Frost March and Sacred Pools. If you see them at your local shop, nab 'em.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomoarigato wrote:

Slight subject change: You mentioned "Relic", while I have no exposure to that game, the descriptions seem to suggest "Talisman-In-Space"? Is it worth bothering with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Endicott
Australia
Newcastle (Maryland)
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow man follow it on face book, i pre ordered it and can not wait. Not entirely sure (rule book posted, i have not finished it yet) but yeah same outer middle inner, same build up then go to middle etc etc but in space.

Get on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL.... I might have to.

However, my group and I are currently learning Twilight Imperium before our first play in a couple of weeks. I don't want to overload them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.