Subject: How much should the original cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Dune myself, but from reading at BGG it looks like something for me. However it is not easy to find a copy, and I was thinking of doing a PNP version...

But today I found an add for a copy of the original that has almost not been played. The box is in ok condition, but I guess it's not easy to find one in mint condition. It actually looks pretty good, but it is pricy!

Is 1000 SEK = 145 $ = 108 € too much? Or how much did you pay for your copy?

Is it worth to buy and resell (if I somehow didn't think it was worth the money)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I just paid $69.50 for mine. But that was a helluva deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's about how much I paid for my copy a couple years ago. I bought it from a friend and it came with both expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid about $120 I think. That was about three years ago. It was in decent shape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I invested around 150€ to build my set...

HowTo build a magnetic interconnecting gameboard

Hmmm... can't find an image of the complete set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a collector, I would pay that much but leave it unplayed.

For a playing copy, I would only pay $70 t0 $80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My PnP cost less than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
My PnP set cost roughly $300. But I did go all out & includes both expansions which was a ton of Artscow cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldpear wrote:
I paid about $120 I think. That was about three years ago. It was in decent shape.

I may be misremembering this. It probably wasn't that much, but I'm sure it wasn't less than $80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

No, a helluva deal is the $5 I paid for an unpunched copy at the dealer's room in BayCon around 2008. (Though it was, admittedly, the Sting cover printing and not the sandworm cover printing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
My PnP set cost roughly $300. But I did go all out & includes both expansions which was a ton of Artscow cards!

Well to be fair, Scott is certifiably crazy!

Seriously though, with patience you can find on on eBay for $50-70 plus shipping. I suppose the issue with you is going to be the scarcity of local copies and the cost of international shipping. Unless you are a collector/completist and just have to have an AH edition, I'd say go with one of the terrific redesigns you can find right here on the BGG. Keep an eye out for ArtsCow discount codes (there was one last week for 20% your entire order plus FREE shipping). I bought two decks for a total of $17.50 and completed my Dune redesign, Battleline varient deck and the AFV cards for my Up Front redesign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Seriously though, with patience you can find on on eBay for $50-70 plus shipping. I suppose the issue with you is going to be the scarcity of local copies and the cost of international shipping. Unless you are a collector/completist and just have to have an AH edition, I'd say go with one of the terrific redesigns you can find right here on the BGG. Keep an eye out for ArtsCow discount codes (there was one last week for 20% your entire order plus FREE shipping). I bought two decks for a total of $17.50 and completed my Dune redesign, Battleline varient deck and the AFV cards for my Up Front redesign!

Or just wait for Rex: Final Days of an Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
corkysru wrote:

No, a helluva deal is the $5 I paid for an unpunched copy at the dealer's room in BayCon around 2008. (Though it was, admittedly, the Sting cover printing and not the sandworm cover printing.)

Heck, at that price you could just print a high def

and paste it over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid around 80 for a game in great shape (there was a Atreides token missing, but that was an easy fix).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Yes, I am nuts. Not only spending that kind of money, but also spending over 6 months redoing all the art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Perreault-Dorion
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Robrob wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Yes, I am nuts. Not only spending that kind of money, but also spending over 6 months redoing all the art!

And we all thank you for it. I made a copy for the friend who taught me to play and one for myself and they are amazing. I went crazy and went for litko token as well and we're never going to touch my original AH copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
About 18 months ago I paid $80 for an unpunched "sandworm" version on EBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I snagged a copy on eBay for $30, unpunched sandworm version. The listing indicated it was in perfect shape, save for the board which "the previous owner cut in half for some reason.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased three copies over my time here on BGG (from 2007-present). I've never spent more than $50. I think two were purchased on eBay, and one here, or perhaps the other way around.

If you want it -now- be prepared to pay about $80. If you want it sometime, but not necessarily now, you should be able to find it in the $40-60 range.

The BGG prices do tend to be the most 'hopeful', as Raid1280 put it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnvm mcmackin
msg tools
The Sting copy I found was about 1980-I had a second but parts are now missing-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could buy a PnP version for a bit less than that much (plus shipping), and get a much higher quality product with a lot better art. I'd say don't do it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.