Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering Chicago Express as a game to add to my 5 player lunch gaming group. We usually have about 60-75 minutes to play. On the Chicago Express forums it seems the consensus is that you want to add this expansion if you are playing with 5 players. My question is as follows:

How much added play time should I expect if I add the expansion to a 5 player game?

am I being unrealistic to think this will be playable in a 60-75 minute window?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to add both at once.

While the Erie adds another company-running-out requirement to the game, it shouldn't result in more than an extra round or two as far as game length. NG shouldn't result in much difference either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game length depends on the total number of actions taken. More players just means fewer actions per player, so should be about the same total length.

Erie means 1 extra share must be sold, so will add 0-1 extra rounds to the game.

More players will make the auctions last slightly longer.

Answer: 5-10 mins?

EDIT: I misread - you are already playing 5 player. EDIT again: because I can't read. In this case it will take you 0-1 extra rounds, so allow however long 1 round takes you, plus rules explanation the first time you use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Narrow gauge trains make null auctions slightly stronger and increase blocking. This might mean a longer game, especially if Wabash doesn't come out. Maybe +2 rounds in a game with lots of blocking and no-one reaches Chicago (worst case scenario).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I do not own the base game nor have I played it with my group. I am considering adding it to our rotation but it seemed the consensus over on the main game forum is that 5 was not a good number for the game without the expansion.

I am worried that playing the game with the expansion 5 player will push play time past the 60-75 minutes we typically take for a "lunch session".

Put a different way, how long should a 5 player "typical game" take if you include this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
60-75 mins sounds about right, provided the session is not punctuated by rules questions, but it's cutting it fine - it'll depend more upon whether you're a fast/slow group and group-think. If you used Erie only (no Narrow Gauge) it should fit in.

One possible option is to take a photo of the board (modern digital cameras are everywhere) and record player portfolios, rebuilding the game state only takes slightly longer than setting it up as a new game. We've done this with longer games such as 1844: Switzerland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With enough experience, the base game shouldn't take longer than ~30 minutes, even with one or two new/ish players. I wouldn't recommend the expansions without at least ~10 games of the base game, even if that means they're all 5p (which is a fine game, just more difficult for new players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric. I may just go with the base game and see how it flows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Keightley
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I agree with Eric (see my post history for 'credentials').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.