Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking experienced people to give me there thoughts.

I've played CitOW once so far (just got it last week) and loved it. I expect to play it about once a month or a little less over the next year and I doubt we will get sick of it.

For purposes of longevity and making sure we do not tire of the game in the long run, I'm wondering if I should hold off on utilizing the expansion.

Do you think I should hold off until we begin to tire of the base so that we can interject some new life into it? Or do you suggest we just start using the expansion now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I'm asking experienced people to give me there thoughts.

I've played CitOW once so far (just got it last week) and loved it. I expect to play it about once a month or a little less over the next year and I doubt we will get sick of it.

For purposes of longevity and making sure we do not tire of the game in the long run, I'm wondering if I should hold off on utilizing the expansion.

Do you think I should hold off until we begin to tire of the base so that we can interject some new life into it? Or do you suggest we just start using the expansion now?

The expansion introduces new paths for the main gods to win. I would play the base game until you have figured out all the ways they can win that way and then introduce the expansion when you want a new and fresh challenge.

You can also add in the 5th player at any time so feel free to do so while using just the base game - even with less than 5 players if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the above, just wait until everyone knows the ins and outs of the base game if you want. However if you need a 5th character, the Rat is great and get the expansion for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. That was the answer I was expecting but it's good to get confirmation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Heino
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Considering the experiences in our newbie'ish group I tend to disagree with the above posters. The Morrslieb cards are not more difficult to use or understand than the base set. They promote somewhat different tactics but that is only a good thing IMHO.
The way we play is to use original gods and card sets when we have 4 players and expansion sets with 5. We only use the rat when there are 5 players available. This seems to be the most balanced (and tested) way to play the game.
Two exceptions to this practice are the Morrslieb old world cards that are always mixed into the old world deck and 'the horned one is due' card that we use according to the instructions provided in the expansion manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could be conditional depending on your group. In my first plays with the base set, there was a bit of a backlash in my group about Khorne in particular not being competitive on the VP track. it made playing him seem to be less interesting than the rest of the characters.
As I have gotten more plays, I don't really think that is the case, but it made for a someone diminished initial impression. Also, some of the cards in the base game seem to be very powerful and can strike you as somewhat unfair.

The expansion cards are more subtle and tend to have less drastic impact on the game. Also, Khorne can now go for VPs! The game is still as interesting but less likely to swing as wildly, and that might be better out of the gate depending on your group. If they have a strong Euro bent, the new cards might jibe better with them. Right now I am thinking I will probably not go back the original cards - the new ones seem to me to be "better". On the other hand, I'm glad we played some with the original first so that I could make that judgement for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game of the base set last night and it was amazing. Every single end game condition was met (Old World Deck Ran Out, Khorne Dial Victory, Slaanesh Dial Victory, Tzeentch VP victory, and Nurgle VP victory). Slaanesh won with tie breaker. Crazy game.

I feel we have a general grasp of Khorne and Nurgle strategies already (as in everyone is aware of generally how to maximize your strengths) but there is still tons of subtlety between them. Since we draw gods randomly I think I'll hold off on picking up the expansion till Christmas time and then probably integrate it in the distant future.

We won't likely have a 5th player so that won't be a concern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.