Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAWNBROKER All/Expert/Optional

Buys Other Players' Cards Or Ships

You have the power of Storage. Once per encounter, you may use this power to buy one ship from the warp of any color except your own or an unrevealed card. The card may be a card that should go to another player or a card which has been played but not revealed. The cost of the item is 2 Lucre which you pay to the offended player. To regain a card or ship, a player must pay you 4 Lucre. After the encounter, any card which was not bought back is placed face up in your store as well as ships. These items may then be bought from you for 4 Lucre at any time by any other player when he is a main player in an encounter. If you lose your power, other players may still buy items you hold, but you may not take any more. Players who buy other players’ ships set them aside and can release them back to their owners as part of a deal.

HISTORY: Desperate times call for desperate measures. The Pawnbrokers facilitate the needs of others to buy and sell their goods, whether they want the help or not.

Use Only In A Game With Lucre

FLARE

All
Wild: You may buy a Flare from another player as he attempts to play it. You pay him 10 Lucre and get the Flare, which does not take effect.

All
Super: Once per encounter you may buy a card as it is played preventing its effect for 2 Lucre. The offended player may buy it back for 5 Lucre and still play it if he wants.

Commentary: This is a resource power from Matt Stone's set. The History and Flare are mine. This is an annoying power. There is some vulnerability to Pawnbroker. By purchasing a card, you may buy one the original owner and no one else wants. Since you don't get to use the card yourself you just lost 2 Lucre. Still, that's no reason to pass on Pawnbroker. You could just as easily purchase a great card. Buying a Flare another player just purchased is quite nifty. Still, in my opinion, Pawnbroker is best used to buy up ships. If players delay in purchasing them back, that's less ships they have available to use. Purchase enough of them and players will want them back, giving you a lot of Lucre. Pawnbroker is a good, if not fast, Lucre generating power.

I was unsure if the original intention of the power was to allow players to buy other players' ships after the initial encounter the ship was taken by Pawnbroker. I decided to allow it. Players have incentive to buy their ships back as quickly as possible to prevent other players from getting them. Players have interest in buying other players’ ships. They can use them in deals, but also just denying players their ships is strong. A player doing this might force his victim to buy that player’s ships. Soon they’ll have to deal a “prisoner exchange”. This could make for an interesting game.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. If you can manage to buy back all of your own ships, and a few of other player's you can essentially take those ships out of the game permanently. The Pawnbroker creates an environment where all the other players can increasingly weaken each other.

I find it interesting that you like this "prisoner exchange" idea, and yet you don't like the Prisoners expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Interesting. If you can manage to buy back all of your own ships, and a few of other player's you can essentially take those ships out of the game permanently. The Pawnbroker creates an environment where all the other players can increasingly weaken each other.

I find it interesting that you like this "prisoner exchange" idea, and yet you don't like the Prisoners expansion.

It's like the Praw. I like it as an individual power for the sake of powers but not as a variant that affects everyone tough noogies making the play of the game harder and more miserable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I've played against it a couple of times, but it never had that much effect. It had to pay Lucre to use its ability at all, and it wasn't able to remove enough ships to make it worthwhile for people to pay it to buy them back, especially since the stolen ships come from the Warp.

It really came across as being like those "pay me to provide a service or I don't do anything" powers, except worse because it needed to itself pay in the first place to even offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it might be better if it could just take the ship or card for free, and then it would be bought for 2 Lucre, so he still makes the same profit. Wouldn't that be functionally about the same, only he'd be able to use his power more often?

Of course that makes it more like a Kidnapper than a Pawnbroker. Or perhaps "Borrower".

Also, it becomes pretty similar to the Assessor. Which when you think about it, it already is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kidnapper - the power to Ransom might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.