Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still on the fence about this game, but am curious what those of you who have pre-ordered the game are going to do when your copy arrives. We now have a lot more information about the game than we did a few days ago (more looks at the ship cards, an explanation of how a turn works in the game, more shots of the ships).

Poll
What are you going to do when your copy of Dreadfleet arrives?
Open it immediately, assemble the ships, and get to playin'!
Leave it in the shrinkwrap until some reviews are out. If they're good, I'll open the box. If they're average, I'll find someone who wants my copy.
Open it regardless to make sure everything is intact in the event I have to get replacement parts from GW while the game is still new. We all know how difficult it is to get replacement parts for SH 3ed :-\ If everything is intact, I'll then decide what I want to do with it.
Let it age like a fine wine and see what conditions are like in a year or two.
      117 answers
Poll created by Tennberg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy this game if you are interested in taking your time building and painting the minis and then playing it.

Do not buy it for "investment" purposes. Space Hulk 3rd barely sells for twenty bucks over what it cost new. And don't believe the buy it now price gougers on eBay as far as game values go. They usually charge double the current value hoping people bite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play the game asap, so that'll mean starting to paint during assembly. Optionally though, I guess one could mark the ship bases so you know what ship is which and start play with just the bases to see if the game is worthwhile (which it looks like it is) so you can paint and assemble and play all at once!...kinda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only answered the third option because I am a slow painter. And from the looks of it, it's going to be much easier to paint during assembly rather than fully assemble the miniatures first. Therefore, while I will open it day one, I doubt it will hit the table until some time in the summer (southern hemisphere, btw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought* Dread Fleet because it has absolutely gorgeous pieces that I eagerly look forward to painting. If the rules are good, great! If not, I've got other fantasy naval battle games to add them to

*Well, technically I said "oooh...drool...I want" and my wonderful girlfriend said she'd get it for me for a slightly early birthday present. But you get the idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We all know how difficult it is to get replacement parts for SH 3ed

This is the first i've heard that. In fact, i heard the opposite. Players were getting replacement parts from GW long after the game sold out. GW actually has some of the best customer service in the business imo.

By now, i wouldn't be surprised if they were out of parts... Don't buy SH3ed without going into it realising it's very oop i guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
Quote:
We all know how difficult it is to get replacement parts for SH 3ed

This is the first i've heard that. In fact, i heard the opposite. Players were getting replacement parts from GW long after the game sold out. GW actually has some of the best customer service in the business imo.

By now, i wouldn't be surprised if they were out of parts... Don't buy SH3ed without going into it realising it's very oop i guess.

Yep. They had parts for a while, but they have long since run out. Hence the poll option to make sure that all is complete and accounted for before the clock runs out on that option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Buy this game if you are interested in taking your time building and painting the minis and then playing it.

Do not buy it for "investment" purposes. Space Hulk 3rd barely sells for twenty bucks over what it cost new. And don't believe the buy it now price gougers on eBay as far as game values go. They usually charge double the current value hoping people bite.

I have my copy painted and in Battle Foam. I am not a fan of people who buy 10 copies of a game for investment purposes. While I am guilty of having one or two games still in shrink, it is not because I am saving them but because I am too busy painting and finishing other projects to work on punching, assembling, and painting those games.
With all that said please show me the listings where I can buy a copy for $20 bucks over retail and the copy is still i shrink? You should post it on the BGG Space Hulk forums because there are always posts about the high cost of the game. I have been looking for a new copy for my friend and the cheapest I have seen a shrink wrapped copy go for recently was $185 plus shipping. I payed $65 for my new copy at my local store and the idea that the values is almost three times the price I paid is what I would call a decent investment. Wait for ten more years and I am willing to bet the game will easily garnish $300 as previous additions did.

Now that being said, Dreadfleet is no space hulk and the GW boards for 40k and Fantasy are in flames about how stupid this game release is and how it is a diet version of Manowar. Most of these fans don't know about BGG, don't know about the boardgame world, and don't understand why some people like one off games. So unlike Space Hulk I am not sure this game will have as much of a built in demand...but then again people are drooling over Nexus Ops and that game was stuck in the bargins bins of stores for months so more than likely in two years people will pay big bucks for this game too.

My advice, if the game looks cool buy it. You don't like it trade it or sell it for a few dollars less. I think a ten dollar loss is worth the price of getting to play the game and seeing whether you like it or not. I bought a ton of games at Gen Con and hated half of them and was able to trade them or sell them within two weeks and actually made money (which was not my intent).
You can never go wrong with the flavor of the month...unless you wait too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain Less
Canada
Gatineau
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, as soon as I've heard about it, it was pre-ordered. I am a big fan of Space hulk and really like Warhammer as a universe. Chaos in the old world is still my favourite game. However, I will never play Fantasy or WH40k. I prefer by far one off like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Fortner
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered #1. To make playing easier I am planning to prime all the ships white and give each side a different colored wash. It is a very quick process, brings out the details nicely and makes fully painting them at my leisure easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Urfi
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also answered #1. Like Space Hulk, I'm in for the whole experience. I'm really looking forward to painting all the models (taking my time and doing them well) and then playing. I'm a sucker for big table-top naval battles. Yes, the price is up there but then again this isn't a cheap hobby. There are sillier things to blow a C Note on. I wouldn't buy it as an investment though... not enough margin paying close to retail to make it worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Culp
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

Where are you buying it from? Every copy I see on Ebay goes for far more than $20.00 over retail, especially unopened ones. Sure, there are some people with ridiculous buy it now prices but most new copies go for at least $150.00. I sold two for $175.00 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee L
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Agreed space hulk is still going for loads over original price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know all the hoarders are not going to answer this poll anyway, as those people are (rightfully) not popular here.

I'm still on the fence here, though I'll have to decide on squeezing the trigger sooner or later, but it's getting out and looked at as soon as I get it, assuming that I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.