Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Taking orders Now get on the list) Hello have made some gate holders and investigator holders for purchase. I am using casting resin so they will be non breakable from ordinary use if you step on one no guarantees. I am taking orders. Pricing will be 3.50 each piece gate or investigator unpainted or 4.50 painted one color. Will offer a $$$ back guarantee you pay return shipping. My email address is tthomasbkr@aol.com if you have ???? and that is my paypal email also Thanks hope you like them!!!!!. I can also modify the investigator holders to hold monsters if anyone is interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for casting resin. I've made minis out of the stuff that are much smaller than these bases and they've held up well over the years. The dried product can take whacks with a hammer, and I know nobody here would do that. I think.

I don't envy OP though because the pre-cast stuff stinks, and in liquid form is very viscous and hydrophobic. I used to joke that you need to use adrenaline extracted from the kidneys of a dying man to wash off casting resin. And that's even before you mix it with the reactant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I used to joke that you need to use adrenaline extracted from the kidneys of a dying man to wash off casting resin. And that's even before you mix it with the reactant!
Seems highly appropriate for materials used in an Arkham Horror context. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look really nice! I might just have to order some. Do you know if the Litko seal counters will fit in them? I am guessing they would be since they claim they are the same size as the gate token, but just want to double check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikowal wrote:
Those look really nice! I might just have to order some. Do you know if the Litko seal counters will fit in them? I am guessing they would be since they claim they are the same size as the gate token, but just want to double check.
Now that's a use for these that I like: I've never seen the point of Gate Token holders because Gate Tokens are single-sided. But the Litko Seal Markers... now that's a different story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
rikowal wrote:
Now that's a use for these that I like: I've never seen the point of Gate Token holders because Gate Tokens are single-sided. But the Litko Seal Markers... now that's a different story!

It's to make it more apparent on the board where the gates are. If they are standing up, then at a glance you can see all the gates. When they are laying flat, sometimes it's easy to overlook/forget where a gate is, especially when there are a lot on the board (or if you have multiple boards).

I like the idea, just trying to figure out how much I can budget now. What's the time frame on these? Are you limiting production (certain number, by a certain date)?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It's to make it more apparent on the board where the gates are. If they are standing up, then at a glance you can see all the gates. When they are laying flat, sometimes it's easy to overlook/forget where a gate is, especially when there are a lot on the board (or if you have multiple boards).
OK... yeah... sort of. As I play with 7 players most of the time, if I've lost track of the number of open Gates, then I've already lost; but I take your point. Besides, I like a little chrome, me - it's the only justification you need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
no time frame have the molds can always make them not sure about the seal counters not even sure what they are as i do not play arkham horror or are they for another game if they are the same size do not see why they would not fit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the paint make it tacky at all, or does it dry well? Are the monster holders the same size as the Investigators (i.e. are they interchangeable)? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello the paint dries good no tackiness its acrylic dries in half hour and the investigator and monster and the same holder you can use it for either thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer, Paul. These look pretty cool! Do the pieces fit in and slide out easily? I want to make sure they don't cause undue wear and tear on the gates & monsters themselves. Also, does the price include shipping? Any volume discounts? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the gate fit loose and so do the investigators. the monsters are fit the snuggest but i do not think wear should be an issue. Shipping is a flat rate 5.00 US and can offer a volume discount depending on the order but it would have to be around 100 pieces probably as the resin is more expansive than plaster or other materials many people use but i did not want to use a breakable material its not worth all the problems that could exist during shipping thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this might be a stupid question, but i dont have the game yet (getting it this week).

How many of these would you need for a game?
I know you dont "need" them, but i like the fact that it makes the game more visual, and easier to see the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello i do not play the game but i believe 8 is the # of gate holders that you would need as far as invetigators and monster holders it depends on how many players i guess and how many invetigators each player uses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am selling a whole set of arkham games new never played if you are interested minus the newest expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
How many of these would you need for a game?

7 is the absolute maximum you would need, unless you had certain expansion components (then as many as 10 or even more would TECHNICALLY be necessary: see below).

This is because the open gate limit in a 1- or 2-investigator game is 8. That is, once there are 8 gates open simultaneously, the game immediately goes to final combat, so you won't need to represent that 8th gate in any particularly nice fashion.

If you do not think you'll ever need to play with fewer than three investigators, then getting 6 holders would be fine (as the open gate limit drops by 1 for every two players you add).

Off the top of my head I can think of three expansion effects that each increase the open gate limit by one (essentially increasing your absolute need for a holder by 1):

1) a Unique Item from Dunwich Horror increases the gate limit by 1
2) A personal story (Innsmouth Horror expansion) for a specific investigator increases the gate limit by 1 when passed
3) When using both the Dunwich and Innsmouth boards together, the gate limit is increased by 1.

Obviously there are likely to be others that I'm forgetting. But without any expansions, 7 is the absolute max.

It should also be noted that for every expansion board you add beyond the first, the investigator number is counted as one less. That is, I may have said that you'd only need 7 holders if you every played with fewer than 3 investigators, but when using Kingsport and another board, this number changes to fewer than 4. Clearly, adding the third expansion board changes the gate limit as well as the investigator number, so six holders will not cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the clarification much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow...thanks kungfro.

well, i just found out that the wife ordered the game for me yesterday as a surprise, so once i get it and play through a game i will def be placing an order for these gate holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, that was for gate stands. I forgot to mention monster stands too.

I don't know if there are any effects that raise the monster limit, so assuming there aren't, the most monsters that can be on the board without expansions is 21.

That is, in an 8-investigator game, the monster limit is 11. The AO awakens if the terror level hits 10 and there are twice as many monsters in play as the original monster limit (22 in this case). This does not count monsters that are kept as trophies.

In addition to the 21 that can possibly be on the board, there can be these spawn monsters in play (which don't count against the limit):

The Dunwich Horror (Dunwich expansion)
The five Children of Glaaki (Dunwich expansion AO)
The three Riots (King in Yellow expansion herald)

Bringing the possible total to 30.

Note that these are extreme cases. To hit 30 you'd need to be using the Dunwich board and have the Horror awaken (bad news), and you'd have to be playing against Glaaki, with the KiY herald, at a terror level of 10, with one monster away from awakening. And since Glaaki's attack in battle is to raise the terror level, devouring everyone on a 10, you're pretty much screwed for this case. Not to mention that each terror level rise strips the investigators of equipment and imposes a universal penalty thanks to the Children and the KiY herald. Might as just give in at that point.

Ordinarily, for most situations, I estimate 10 monster stands at the most will probably do you fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kungfro wrote:
I don't know if there are any effects that raise the monster limit, so assuming there aren't, the most monsters that can be on the board without expansions is 21.

Also possible: up to seven more on the Terrible Experiment. Not strictly on the board, I suppose.

There's a rumour which makes Undead monsters not count against the monster limit if it fails, so theoretically all of those could be out, adding another 11. Though, of course, that presumably doesn't apply at Terror 10, so that doesn't make any difference to the end result.

Of course, if the Dunwich Horror is awake, there could be any number of monsters on the Dunwich board with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
__cim__ wrote:
Also possible: up to seven more on the Terrible Experiment. Not strictly on the board, I suppose.

Eh, I didn't count things where it's wiser to "pile" them.

Quote:
There's a rumour which makes Undead monsters not count against the monster limit if it fails

This is Miskatonic specifically, so I left it alone.

Quote:
Of course, if the Dunwich Horror is awake, there could be any number of monsters on the Dunwich board with it.

Arp! Forgot about expansion boards entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.