Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you improve Hornet Leader CAO ?do you have any suggestion ?

Poll
Please select items that you think will improve hornet leader as a game / as a series
More Historical Campaigns
More Hypothetical Campaigns
More Pilots selection
More Weapon/Ordnance Type
More Targets and Events
More Enemy ground air defense type
More Enemy bandit type including Western Made bandits
More involved campaign segment including carrier positioning, allies and enemy strategic movement that depends on your current success
More Campaign Tracks (eg: Ground Force Advance, Air Superiority , etc)
Better Tactical Board
Better game counters
Better game card quality
Better rulebook
different tactical board and rule for Air to Air missions only to better reflect WVR and BVR combat
optional joint mission with non-US allies using Tornadoes, Rafale, Mirages
optional carrier phase segment (repair plane, carrier TO/Landing ops Airboss mode)
      63 answers
Poll created by dprijadi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, some people actually voted for Better components.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the counters are good quality but i have lots of counters that peeling on corners.. i dont know if this is normal for wargame counters and if clipping counter corner help alleviate the problem..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope Dan read these and add more campaign for HLCAO.. it seems ppl want more campaign..

personally i think a Historical campaign covering Tanker Wars period in persian gulf 1985-1989. with US navy carrier group focusing on destroying missileboats, oil platforms, covering SEAL/marine landing force and protecting tankers from exocets..

or

a hypothetical Venezuelan 2014 campaign, when Chavez declare support for Iran (in relation of Iran 2014 campaign).. its like invasion of grenada but with more opposition and more bandits.. with campaign maps covering venezuela and cuba as OPFOR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
the counters are good quality but i have lots of counters that peeling on corners.. i dont know if this is normal for wargame counters and if clipping counter corner help alleviate the problem..

Yeah it's common if you punched them all, but if you cut the attach points with a knife they won't peel. It takes a bit more time but you end up with perfect counter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
personally i think a Historical campaign covering Tanker Wars period in persian gulf 1985-1989. with US navy carrier group focusing on destroying missileboats, oil platforms, covering SEAL/marine landing force and protecting tankers from exocets..

I like that. A lot. Strange how one forgets entire episodes of history. With some new target cards it would fit in perfectly with the existing game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really love to see the Cthulhu campaign that was mentioned in another thread, where you must send your aircraft to attempt to close the gates before the Old Ones come through. I think it would need new counters to represent minions of the Old Gods rather than SAM sites and the like, though. Hmm, I should post this in the thread about what I would like to see in the next Leader game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this video.. its a real carrier management software for Air Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOpJiJ4nu9Q&feature=related

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
I'd really love to see the Cthulhu campaign that was mentioned in another thread, where you must send your aircraft to attempt to close the gates before the Old Ones come through. I think it would need new counters to represent minions of the Old Gods rather than SAM sites and the like, though. Hmm, I should post this in the thread about what I would like to see in the next Leader game...

not onlly the counters but the rules too.. and how do you categorized cthulu ? a 'soft' target ? hehe ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
My biggest frustration with the game revolves around losing pilots. I get attached to a pilot but once he is shot down his fate rests on a single die roll. I've started gaming the search and rescue missions for lost pilots using Ranger (from omega games). I still can't always recover every pilot that's shot down but at least I feel like I tried.

I'd love to have more chaos in the campaigns... It feels like there are few major shifts in the flow of the conflicts that make me rethink my mission selection or overal strategy. It could be exciting to get diverted to a new target while you are still inbound or have an enemy offensive catch you off guard and force you to react.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Jude wrote:

not onlly the counters but the rules too.. and how do you categorized cthulu ? a 'soft' target ? hehe ..

You can't kill Cthulhu! All you can do is try to keep the gates closed so the Elder Gods don't notice us puny humans and cross over. Killing their minions who are trying to pave their way is also an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More campaigns (real or imagined)? Nope; I've already played the Iraq campaign through three times, with no feeling that I'm repeating the same game. The variety presented by the target cards and events is already such that I don't feel that I need more campaigns to get more out of the game.

More pilots? Nope - I'm pretty happy that there are already more pilots provided than I will ever use.

More weapons? You're largely limited by what is in the USN inventory - but the game already includes almost everything that's likely to get used from a carrier-based strike.

More targets/events? Well, a new deck of event cards wouldn't go amiss, but I don't think that extra targets would add to my enjoyment of the game.

More sites/more bandits? I'm happy with what we have, although I'd perhaps have preferred more tightly-themed sites and bandits - so that missions are flown facing real-world *likely* threats rather than potential ones (for example - just how many SA-13s did Iraq have? Mig 25s? 29s???).

More campaign decisions (such as carrier positioning, allocation of resources to CAP etc )? Possibly. But then it would be a different game. If I wanted to play a game about operating a carrier, that would be a different game to HL. Have you tried VG's Carrier? I might give it another go at some point in the future.

Better board/components/cards? Nope, the ones I have are just fine. Better than fine, actually, and significantly above average when compared to the standards most of the industry works to.

Co-ordinated missions? Something best dealt with by event cards IMO.

WVR and BVR combat? I don't want to play a game that simulates air-to-air combat; I'm satisfied that the current level of abstraction works well.

Rather than improving HL (which is already really, really good), I'd prefer to see entirely new games presenting different challenges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kochel
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
For me, it's easy...an Air Force expansion with F-15s and F-16s of course, but also with F-117s and even heavy bombing misisons with B-52s and so on, and F-22s at some point: awesome...$100, I'd buy it, $120 still buy it for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Blair
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to manage an entire air wing... or perhaps, split squadrons with a friend, but have to manage the wing - i.e. do the CAG job.

So, assign a certain number of planes to cap and alert ready for S&R missions.

I was reading that of the 50 or so strike planes, at peak these can do three missions a day - so some 150 sorties a day.

Could perhaps have the day split into AM/PM/Night - and do 9 draws per time phase, of which three targets have to be hit.

Trouble is, I can never find how many planes/pilots a squadron has - seems to be between 10 and 12 - but I have no idea whether there are more pilots than planes - or whether it is one plane per pilot/crew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.