Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of pre-ordering Operation Dauntless, which is, they say, similar to this. I'm surprised to see so few ratings, comments from owners, and listed owners. So I'm wondering, who has played it, what do you think? Are there really so few who bought this?

Thanks,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm...it hasn't been printed yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's on GMT's P500 list. Like many I've preordered it, but only the designer and the playtest team will have played it.

No indication of a print data for this (or Dauntless) that I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No consensus because no one actually has it. However, the rules are posted, and the designer has posted a huge amount of information (including play examples, historical material, and designer's notes) here and on CSW. I've pre-ordered both games, and I think the system will be a hit once it gets going. The topics are a bit obscure for some people, and my guess is that if Red Winter had featured some battle on the East Front in 1942 -44, the game would already have a publication slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the latest GMT newsletter, this is one of a few possible for inclusion in Q1 2012 printing. Let's get that pre-ordering number up a bit to guarantee the printing is sooner, rather than later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
I've played it, with play test art counters.

I wrote a review, if you can call it that and I posted a play thru with some music and stuff.
http://meshtime.com/2011/08/24/red-winter-scenario-play-thru...

I'd be happy to repost the video without the 'special effects'(Thumb up for the video repost it takes some effort so show the love). I had decided since there was so much content available that you can read what the game is about. So I focussed on game play, the feel of the game and the images it evoked for me.

I have been itching to get my hands on a Winter War title ever since the old SPI Winter War one came out that I partially played once.

When I was playing Red Winter all I could see in my mind was great coats, snow camo, men dying on slippery ice, desperate barrages, and staunch out gunned out manned Finns.

I know, its a bit romantic to say the least, but the movies from that era are something else! So I had to add the war movie footage to share my 'vision' of the game, versus a Calendale style play thru.

I've also read two books on the topic, A Frozen Hell and Bair Irecheev's War of the White Death.

I have it on pre order, I like the game a lot. I have played part of the campaign, and as you get into this their are very interesting subtle choices that come to the play thru. Both sides are on the offense and defense, and both sides must choose if and when to take step losses versus retreats, maneuver correctly, and take advantage of the weapon classes they possess. The combat system is new. Well new to me. I really like the choices you have to make here as well.

I have not read much about Op Dauntless as yet, and have boatloads of games to get thru prior .

Red Winter and its game system (I assume its the same system as OpD) has the ability to be applied to many conflicts. Which would mean a rare new company level tactical system that takes a fresh look at combat in WWII at that level.

It is very different from TCS, less cluttered, rules are simpler, yet gives a very rich feeling of 'how it was'. I like that and I am a big fan of TCS. Probably more than you wanted and less at the same time, but its early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Ah, so I guess the "2010" next to the game's title is incorrect? Now I understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Ah, so I guess the "2010" next to the game's title is incorrect? Now I understand.

Those dates are the genally optimistic date the game is supposed to be published. It's tough with a GMT P500 as the orders determine it's printing status. It's close to making the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
I've played it, with play test art counters.

I wrote a review, if you can call it that and I posted a play thru with some music and stuff.
http://meshtime.com/2011/08/24/red-winter-scenario-play-thru...

I'd be happy to repost the video without the 'special effects'(Thumb up for the video repost it takes some effort so show the love). I had decided since there was so much content available that you can read what the game is about. So I focussed on game play, the feel of the game and the images it evoked for me.

I have been itching to get my hands on a Winter War title ever since the old SPI Winter War one came out that I partially played once.

When I was playing Red Winter all I could see in my mind was great coats, snow camo, men dying on slippery ice, desperate barrages, and staunch out gunned out manned Finns.

I know, its a bit romantic to say the least, but the movies from that era are something else! So I had to add the war movie footage to share my 'vision' of the game, versus a Calendale style play thru.

I've also read two books on the topic, A Frozen Hell and Bair Irecheev's War of the White Death.

I have it on pre order, I like the game a lot. I have played part of the campaign, and as you get into this their are very interesting subtle choices that come to the play thru. Both sides are on the offense and defense, and both sides must choose if and when to take step losses versus retreats, maneuver correctly, and take advantage of the weapon classes they possess. The combat system is new. Well new to me. I really like the choices you have to make here as well.

I have not read much about Op Dauntless as yet, and have boatloads of games to get thru prior .

Red Winter and its game system (I assume its the same system as OpD) has the ability to be applied to many conflicts. Which would mean a rare new company level tactical system that takes a fresh look at combat in WWII at that level.

It is very different from TCS, less cluttered, rules are simpler, yet gives a very rich feeling of 'how it was'. I like that and I am a big fan of TCS. Probably more than you wanted and less at the same time, but its early.

Actually, that's more or less exactly what I wanted, thanks for such a thorough write up. I shall go pre-order now.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.