Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, clue cards with just 'Clue 1A' and such on them so we can just put them in as placeholders for custom scenarios. That would be very, very helpful.

I assume we'll never see those, since it seems likely the entire clue system was designed mostly to make it really hard for fans to make their own scenarios. But it would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some reason you couldn't use ... the regular scenario cards as placeholders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure the Strange Eons plugin will be done soon, if it isn't already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Is there some reason you couldn't use ... the regular scenario cards as placeholders?

You can, and that's what I've done so far, but then you're having to use cards that not everyone will have seen in actual play yet, and having to ignore the text on the cards just feels awkward.

Quote:
I'm sure the Strange Eons plugin will be done soon, if it isn't already.

That's not much help for making cards that mix in without being readily distinguishable from the regular cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Or you know, you could just use card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Have you ever found a good way to make custom cards that aren't readily distinguishable even in sleeves? If so, that would be helpful. They always seem to be a slightly different thickness or curve.

Not to mention it requires buying pricey sleeves to sleeve cards that never get shuffled and making them harder to manage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
1. Go the FFG expansion route - reprint all the cards for your scenario.

2. Or something I've considered (for other reasons) - print a 'flavor text' for each room that sits at the top of the exploration deck (or right below the lock, if there is one). Then every room contains a card of your creation in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Have you ever found a good way to make custom cards that aren't readily distinguishable even in sleeves? If so, that would be helpful. They always seem to be a slightly different thickness or curve.

Not to mention it requires buying pricey sleeves to sleeve cards that never get shuffled and making them harder to manage...

Buy the sleves with a solid back color (get thick good quality ones) - or if you want to be fancy buy the ones with Arkham horror artwiork on the back.
Then just print the cards on paper and slide them in. They don't need to be 'card', the sleves alone are thick enough (if you don't buy the pennie ones) to shuffle and stuff even without anything in them.

I use to do this all the time when I was playtesting games. Yeah, the sleeves may be pricey - but no more pricey then buying a deck of blank clue cards and they are more reusable and useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they make solid-backed sleeves for the American Mini size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
Do they make solid-backed sleeves for the American Mini size?

Ditto this question. I use the solid back sleeved often for regular sized playing cards, but I've never seen them for the little tiny cards.

I suppose one could just make "empty" cards to put in extra rooms. That way every interesting looking room has an equally questionable card in it.

Of course, that adds more set up when set up is already pretty annoying as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Doesn't look like it. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a "Keeper Kit" as well, with advice for designing your own scenarios. That being said, you *don't* have to put the cards in the rooms. You can just key them on a sheet of paper. That is, when a player enters a room, you can tell them the contents or if it's locked, or whatever.

Y'know, like in the ol' days of RPGs before cards were invented.

Another advantage of not putting the cards in the room and keying them to a piece of paper is that the paper can be blank! If they're winning the game or haven't paid you back the five bucks they borrowed last month, say there's a lock! If one of them bought the pizza, give 'em the shotgun!

Now I wish MoM came with a Keeper's Screen so my players wouldn't know when I'm making it all up! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...with advice for designing your own scenarios.

I resisted posting this response before, but after playing a scenario last night that was broken in at least 3 ways...I don't think the game designers are really qualified to give advice on designing your own scenarios. Toss some random stuff together, it can't be any worse than what came in the box.

Quote:
Y'know, like in the ol' days of RPGs before cards were invented.

You know, I wondered a lot when Mansions came out why they didn't go that route. The expansion packs made it pretty clear - it was so they could justify charging $15 for what should be three pieces of paper.

Quote:
Now I wish MoM came with a Keeper's Screen so my players wouldn't know when I'm making it all up!

Cheater

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.