Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A 2 player, against/fight each other game, but not war themed, hmmmm ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Is there such games ? that my gf will like. She like's game where you play against each other rather than co-op's. She doesn't like anthing to long in play time, she does like to roll dice and use cards. She won't like anthing war themed. We played Elder Sign last night, ok it's not against each other but she said it was ok but doesn't like all the cardboard chits that you use. Maybe fantasy themed might work, I'm not sure. I thought of Battle Line not really war themed but there's no dice. Probabl her favorite I own is Carcassonne: 10 Year Special Edition if that helps. Probably more luck based, than strategy. Any other suggestions ?

Thankyou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GOSU- fantasy goblin realm
Omen: A Reign of War-fantasy warfare with cards,would that be okay?
ScrumBrawl- what football would be like if killing was allowed
JAB: Realtime Boxing- boxing with strategy and speed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Nexus Ops FFG have just announced a reprint

But only if she likes Sci-Fi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bryan
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jambo is a two player card game with a fair amount of direct interaction. It is a trading game where you interact through the cards you play. Of the two player Kosmos games, it is my favorite. I have also heard great things about Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League, which is a short pick up and deliver game. It has cards and dice. Plus it looks like you of both of them. Both of these you are playing against one another but not in a war.

Have you looked into any of the Carcassonne variants? There are a bunch, and all that I have played I enjoyed. Or to give it more variety and depth, pick up a couple of expansions, Traders and Builders and Inns and Cathedrals are considered by many to "complete" the base game.

Another popular one for couples, although it has less direct interaction, is Stone Age, a worker placement game where you roll dice for workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
You fight each other, but you have also plenty of alternative options. The three scenarios it's pretty much limited to "Kill a character of the enemy team to win" but it changes as you make progress in the rules. There are nine scenarios included which function as a tutorial, each time teaching you two new rules. So in the beginning its pretty basic, but as it evolves the sheer number of options what you can do in your turn is fantastic. When you leave the basic scenarios behind the victory conditions will also alter, from the straigthforward "Kill X" to "Find the secret documents" or "Prevent the Salemites from launching their rockets".

Apart from that it has a post-apocalyptic setting including zombies, it has dice, it has a modular board. And it is a pain to set up, but well worth it.

There are very few confrontational games my girlfriend enjoys playing, but this one she loves. The other one is Space Hulk, but since this is really expensive you may want to have a look at Claustrophobia, which is quite similar.

However it would probably be helpful if you could define "war themed" a bit more clearly. Does this mean games that actually have real or realistic wars as theme? Or does this also include any kind and scale of warfare no matter in which setting (examples: WarCraft, StarCraft, Runewars, Twilight Imperium, Battles of Westeros, etc)?

Because the latter would make it nigh on impossible to suggest a game that includes fighting as its central aspect. Including Earth Reborn or Claustrophobia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Jambo suggestion.

Also consider Blue Moon.

Perhaps Medici vs Strozzi but the conflict is a little too intense for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gosu- fantasy goblin realm

Love the look of this game but read/watched mixed reviews on it.

Quote:
But only if she likes Sci-Fi

A little, but I like it alot

Quote:
Another popular one for couples, although it has less direct interaction, is Stone Age, a worker placement game where you roll dice for workers.

neither of us liked this game.

Quote:
I like the Jambo suggestion.

I own this and it's had little play, I quite like it but probably the theme puts us both off ?

Quote:
However it would probably be helpful if you could define "war themed" a bit more clearly. Does this mean games that actually have real or realistic wars as theme? Or does this also include any kind and scale of warfare no matter in which setting (examples: WarCraft, StarCraft, Runewars, Twilight Imperium, Battles of Westeros, etc)?

War themed as in WWI/WWII that sort of theme.

I've been looking at A Few Acres of Snow but unsure on this as it's alot of strategy with little luck ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
She might like Splut! because it's fantasy themed. It's versus the other player(s). It is not about war. (There is a struggle however...) And, you can try it for FREE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space

Maybe a sport? Soccer (futbol), American football, baseball....cricket?

Victory Point Games just released a tennis game TC Tennis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it's just the "real" war theme she does not like you have like a ton of options.

I already mentioned Earth Reborn and Claustrophobia as skirmish-level games.
If you step up and look at bigger battles there are:

Warcraft - The Boardgame
Collecting ressources, building units, upgrading them, attacking your opponent. It's out of print for some time now but lots of shops still list it for very reasonable prices. Be sure to get the expansion as well, because the basegame alone is broken (elves are overpowered) plus it adds some nice options as well (heroes, more tiles, optional rules). For the price it is selling at the moment definitely a game to consider.

Warhammer Invasion
Deck-building game, aim is destroying your opponent's capital. No victory points in here, it's "Kill or be killed". There are a lot of expansions available, but the base game is just fine. If you want some more races buy the first "big" expansion Assault on Ulthuan as well and you get High Elves and Dark Elves to play with.

Runewars
Haven't played this one yet, but it is said to be good with 2 players.

War of the Ring
Reprint is said to come, so this is a game you might keep in your mind. Very thematic game that may appear a bit overwhelming at first due it's mass of rules, but once you're past those it really shines. Haven't played it for a long time now but it used to be one of my favorite games.

Another option is Runebound, which does not necessarily involve player vs player combat (however, you can do that if you wish to) but rather player versus monster combat. And lots of it. If you enjoy leveling up your hero by monster genocide like in Diablo 2 this is a game you should have a closer look at. There is story it, but it's just a nice bonus on your monster-corpse strewn way to the battle with the big bad boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aton is a wonderful 2 player game that is fairly light and has good replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A racing game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Damron
United States
Danville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 2 de Mayo or Mr. Jack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Balloon Cup if you can find a copy, or its almost-clone Voltage. Maybe Campaign Manager 2008 if you're ok with a strong US theme. All of these have the direct confrontation aspect like Battle Line, but without a combat theme.

There are 2p games based around blocking and racing rather than attacking, like: Jaipur (my favorite), Lost Cities, Dragonheart. Since you said "fight each other", I assume that's not the style you are looking for.

I tend to avoid "fighting" games of any theme, so I can't think of any other suggestions right now, but it seems like there are tons of them out there, because I keep not adding games to my wishlist for exactly that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Merchants & Marauders? Not war themed, uses dice and cards. Not sure how you define "too long" but it plays pretty quickly in my opinion.

I really love Ghost Stories, which is cooperative but the new Ghost Stories: Black Secret expansion pits players against each other. Worth a look.

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two player? - Check

Fight each other? - Check

Not realworld war themed? - Check

Fantasy themed? - Check

Rolls dice? - Check

Uses cards? - Check

Fast & uncomplicated? - Check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I get a copy ? No

I've been looking at Summoner Wars but I'll wait for the Master Set comes out over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Campaign Manager 2008 Jaipur Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi has 2 players fighting each other, without a war theme. It's more accurately described as a one on one video game that uses cards instead of a computer.

I also find that TZAAR has a great tactical fighting feel to it, even though it's an abstract game. I REALLY like Tzaar.

There have also been a number of battle books over the years where players fight each other using books with codes and images. Examples of such games include Lost Worlds, Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series, and Star Wars: Starfighter Battle Books.

Hope this helps give you some more ideas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yomi

I'll second GOSU, it was in the running at one time to be my GOTY last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H J

London
msg tools
badge
mb
Earth Reborn is a really involved game. I'd only go for that if you had plenty of time and were willing to plow through the rules. I did a first impressions vid you can find in the ER section here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Can I get a copy ? No

I've been looking at Summoner Wars but I'll wait for the Master Set comes out over here.

That's probably the best way of getting started, yeah.

Hopefully it'll be out soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's little long, but my wife who's also against anything war themed, really likes 1960: The Making of the President

It's like Twilight Struggle in disguise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for JAB: Real Time Boxing. Had a blast playing it at PAX Prime and plan to buy a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for GOSU; it shines as a 2 player game.

Also check out Carpe Astra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.