United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a sample of the variants we have tried with great success:
1. Take out all of the "No Dice" cards. They tend to slow down gameplay. This way, the only cards that you would fear on deciding whether or not to go on are the "Fill" and "Double Trouble" cards.
2. We always enforce the piggyback option. When one player stops and scores points on paper, the next player gets the option of rolling the dice the previous player passed on OR turning over a new card for a fresh start. If the new player rolls a scoring combination on the piggyback option, this new score is added to the amount the previous player banked. The common strategy then is to stop with one or two dice remaining. Generally, in our experience, players do try to piggyback on 700 or more points banked especially with two dice remaining. When you combine this rule with #1 above, the points passed to subsequent players seem to increase more rapidly for a more dramatic game. It is not uncommon to pass 3,000+ points to the next player after banking them. (We still stop at 10,000 points.)
3. The "mirror" rule: If you keep a triple, then any subsequent roll of that value scores 100 points (if you decide to keep it.) For example, a triple 3 is kept. Any subsequent three is worth 100 pts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this comes off as negative, but I don't like any of those variants.

1. The No Dice cards are there specifically to keep a healthy risk to continueing on from a fill.

2. This sounds like it drastically changes the game simply to make things move faster. Why not just lower the target end score?

3. I guess this is okay if you want to add more ways to score. But, I think it's pretty easy to roll scores as it is. Even when your down to one last dice your worst odds are 1 in 3. But that's why you often don't go one a last dice unless you like the payoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.