BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: An article on good geek parenting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Onion: Cool Dad Raising Daughter On Media That Will Put Her Entirely Out Of Touch With Her Generation

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cool-dad-raising-daughter-o...

They forgot to mention a healthy education of Euro board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a good point in the end. The kid will have to like or pretend to like some of today's crap if she wants to have something to talk about with the kids around her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I was raised in a similar way and it made my life miserable until I was an adult. Now, I think it was worth it. Thanks mom and dad for being insane, out-of-touch weirdos that insisted I be culturally literate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
There's a good point in the end. The kid will have to like or pretend to like some of today's crap if she wants to have something to talk about with the kids around her.

That's so true!!

The major problem is that lots of parents let their kids watch shows that are not age appropriate. It's very hard for me to let my child participate in that social/pop culture sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
My kindergarten teacher made my parents get a TV because I had nothing in common with any of the other kids.

True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
My kindergarten teacher made my parents get a TV because I had nothing in common with any of the other kids.

True story.

Same here, but I grew up in a tough neighborhood, so my kindergarten teacher made my parents buy me a gun and get me hooked on the crack pipe.

Not true story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:

I'm curious if it's as true as it used to be.

Here's my take on it:
When I was growing up (born '73), there was network television, and a handful of cable channels. Cable largely only played movies that we could have seen in the theater, or later rent from a video store. The point is, there was only a relatively small amount of content to be 'versed' in. If you knew the popular show/movie at the time, you were good to go. If I remember correctly, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The A-Team, and a handful of cartoons like GI-Joe/Transformers seem to have dominated most of our media consciousness at the time. The TV even turned off not too long after midnight, complete with National Anthem, test tone and then static.

We didn't have cable so we missed on some of the 're-run movies of the month' (does HBO still play movies repeatedly throughout a month?), but it wasn't too difficult to keep up with the conversation/imaginary play. It's not like any of them were attempting to be as complicated as War and Peace.

Fast forward to today:
There are literally hundreds of channels spewing a non-stop stream of unique content. We don't have cable and I still find the amount of choices between prime time shows overwhelming. Add in streaming of video, DVD's to catch up on other programs, and from attempted conversations with people on shows I thought were overwhelmingly popular (The Office, for instance) I'm not entirely sure that our culture is as 'unified' in it's entertainment as it used to be.

Sure, a couple of shows and movies will always rise to the top (Glee, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Sponge Bob spring to mind). However, it's my guess that because of the overwhelming number of shows to watch, video games to play, and even books to read that cohesive peer driven play and conversation based around media is likely to be more disjointed and shorter term, with a handful of popular things rising to the top of our collective consciousness.

I'm not worried about withholding The Jersey Shore or Glee from my 7 year old even though I know of kids his age that are watching that crap. Anyway, it's easy enough to have a conversation about them without having seen them:
"I can't believe how drunk she got, and can you believe she actually hooked up with him!?" It doesn't really matter which show I'm talking about, it works for most of them.

But what do I know. I'm an out of touch 37 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressley
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My kid's favorite writers are Kurt Vonnegut and Lenny Bruce. He loves Kurosawa and Tarantino movies. Last summer I took him to see the Black Keys live. The last music purchase he made was Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys. On Vinyl.

OMG he is so screwed. I am such a bad parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MScrivner wrote:
My kid's favorite writers are Kurt Vonnegut and Lenny Bruce. He loves Kurosawa and Tarantino movies. Last summer I took him to see the Black Keys live. The last music purchase he made was Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables by the Dead Kennedys. On Vinyl.

Do you know what it's like to grow-up with groucho marx references that no one gets?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MScrivner wrote:

On the other hand, he's likely to be a cultural God when they start to remake Vonnegut books, but be super bored and pissed off when people blatantly steal Bruce's ideas.

Of course, if he says, "It was better when Lenny Bruce first said it," in a condescending manner, he's definitely screwed. If he can use it to introduce the works to others, he'll be set.

I still remember how blown away my friends were when I had them listen to Cheech and Chong's audio comedy or The Great White North in the early '90's. They were familiar with these comedian's film work but had no idea how REALLY funny they actually were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
MScrivner wrote:

Do you know what it's like to grow-up with groucho marx references that no one gets?!

Sort of awesome because you spent your time watching Marx Brothers films rather than the crap they re-ran non-stop on cable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.