Subject: Difference between Spring and Autumn movies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was telling my boy about the various movie seasons the other day - that movies that come out in the Summer tend to be the big budget, broad-appeal films, plus a handful of romantic comedy's with B-list stars (maybe one with an A-lister). At the end of the year you get the Oscar contenders, plus one or maybe two big budget flicks, plus kid and family movies.

In the Spring you get lower-budget films, which wouldn't stand up to the competition in the summer. You often get quirky films in the spring. My favorite movies are often spring releases.

However, when asked about movies that come out in the Fall, I was at a loss. I can't really distinguish them from the spring releases - they're lower budget movies that wouldn't stand up in the summer or winter seasons. However, I also think of Fall movies as lame - the weakest season.

Can anyone do some better generalizing? How do you distinguish these two seasons from each other? Are they basically the same and the reason that I think "Spring movies - cool!" and "Fall movies - lame." is because in the fall I've just come off the cool summer season and the Spring season is so long I get hungry for something good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In autumn you often get a bunch of horror releases to tie in with Halloween. Many of which do tend to be lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
Spring also tends to be a dumping ground for stuff that was intended to be a big summer movie but which turned out badly. Think Clash of the Titans.

It used to be that the fall was whatever was good enough from the summer to be held over in the theaters, but that doesn't really happen anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
Spring also tends to be a dumping ground for stuff that was intended to be a big summer movie but which turned out badly. Think Clash of the Titans.

It used to be that the fall was whatever was good enough from the summer to be held over in the theaters, but that doesn't really happen anymore.

Now DVDs are on the shelves right at the end of a run so that they tie in with their original promotion budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Coney
Croatia
Zaprešić
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fall seems to be when the "Serious" (and yes, that's with a capital S) movies are released - cop dramas, bleak urban dramas, some horror - ones that are too heavy for summer fare, and often get breathless reviews that they are "Oscar contenders." Although some of those Oscar contenders are held back for early winter, holiday release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.