Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the rules, it says that if you want to splay a previously splayed pile in a new direction, first unsplay it and then splay it in the new direction. I was confused about what this meant until I saw in the FAQ (http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/7taw23y3du/Inno...):

What happens when I splay a pile which is already splayed?
That depends on whether you’re re-splaying to the same direction, or to a new direction. If you’re resplaying to the same direction, nothing happened (and the effect is not shared for the purpose of a free
Draw action). If you’re re-splaying to a new direction, return the pile to its unsplayed position and then
splay to the new direction. In other words, splaying is not cumulative.

So my understanding is that if you have a pile splayed left and then you want to splay it up, you don't get a "diagonal" splay, you unsplay it and then splay it straight up.

My initial confusion was due to the fact that the scenario we kept running into was when a pile was already splayed left and we wanted it to splay right. In this case, it didn't make sense to me why there had to be an intermediate "unsplaying" step or how to even do it (other than reducing the pile back to 1 or 0 cards); the possibility of cumulative splays didn't even enter my mind at that point because it's not an issue with left vs. right splaying.

Anyway, assuming that my interpretation of all of this is correct, I now understand the rules and hopefully this will help with any future versions of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. A pile may be splayed in at most one direction. There are no "diagonal splays".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
AND there are no "double splays" - you can't splay right twice, uncovering a second row of icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the game was first being described to me, I was thinking the the optimal splay is up and right, and was disappointed when he got to the unsplaying rule.

The words "unsplay" and "unsplaying" were not in my spellchecker. In fact it suggested "misplaying" which must mean that unsplaying is a Bad Thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.