Subject: Fast start rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the fist time in a few months and i had an start that just seemed amazing and insanely quick. and was played with 2 new players

I started in nassau with the captain that heals one damage when in a english port

Turn 1
action 1 - move to see
action 2 - scout and make 11pt raid taking one cargo damage
action 3 - change zones

after my turn the other experienced player moved into my sea zone ending zone with 3 cloth which were in demand at nassau

turn 2
action 1 - successfully scout other experienced player, my cannon fire takes out a crew and i lose a mast, then i barely get success in boarding and easily win the crew battle taking the 2 cloth and $2

action 2 - move to nassau sea zone
action 3 - move into port

turn 3
action 1 - port in nassau sell 2 demand goods combined with my 21 gold from starting and raid i upgrade to a frigate and a special weapon.

after that the game wasn't so lucky but i still managed to get a victory.

so what has been your fastest or favorite start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
"How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist..."
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you begin with a sloop? If so you would only have 2 cargo to begin with and by taking a cargo hit in your merchant raid would only have one left. This would not allow you to take 2 cloth off of the other player. Unless I missed something or you began with a flute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my bad i'm posting this from memory based of a game saturday so it may have and fuzzy detail

based off that info it wouldn't have been the cargo then but perhaps hull. but it didn't effect the merchant raid and was only one hit on both the raid and the PC battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
Bacon pancakes, makin' bacon pancakes, Take some bacon and I'll put it in a pancake, Bacon pancakes, that's what it's gonna make, Bacon pancaaaaake!
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. Not trying to nit pick. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah i figured that, but this is one of the games i don't have memorized but i was amazed at how fast that i came out of the gate. too bad it didn't stay that way, but another interesting note was there were no NPC naval ships only the pirate frigate at the beginning and the sloop came in second to last round and when we finally got the english navy it was game over before it hit the board if memory serves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Darling
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I've seen some fast starts that fizzled out pretty quick before too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Silver
United States
Lino Lakes
Minnesota
flag msg tools
C'mon You Loons!
badge
United FC! -----------The Team for Me! ---- Minnesota! ----------- L-O-V-E! -------------
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you may have missed the fact that the damage to your ship makes it worth one less gold per point of damage when you trade it in. You probably would have still been able to afford the frigate but not the special weapon.

Edit: My bad, I missed the part where you took $2 plunder from the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find the 2-player game very lopsided. Sometimes you get a close one in there but more often than not the game gets away from one of the players. Somehow, this seems to disappear for us in a 3+ player game.

I'm still looking for a good 2-player variant for this one to take care of that issue as well as lessen the amount of ocean that is out there. I've seen the ones proposed in the Variants section, but none that really stand out to me as a clear and fun solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braytak wrote:
I often find the 2-player game very lopsided. Sometimes you get a close one in there but more often than not the game gets away from one of the players. Somehow, this seems to disappear for us in a 3+ player game.

I'm still looking for a good 2-player variant for this one to take care of that issue as well as lessen the amount of ocean that is out there. I've seen the ones proposed in the Variants section, but none that really stand out to me as a clear and fun solution.

actually i noticed that i didn't post it was a 4 player game just alluded to that fact but it was indeed 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.