United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday Games has managed to get a special arrangement with Queen Games for Kingdom Builder. We are allowed an Essen pickup with some Kickstarter exclusives and have arranged for 150 copies signed by the Artist as well. These will be air lifted (fedexed) and special items are available for those who can back the Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/kingdom-buil...

No official release date has been announced either so this is a great opportunity!

Update: On about page 4 of this thread there are some claiming that the official release date of the game is October 28 here in the USA. We were told by Queen that no release date had been set for the USA, especially considering the game is still in production in Germany. Maybe the designer has some info that we were not told, and if there is some set release date already in play in the USA we were not and are not aware of it. Certainly the deal wouldn't have been made if there were a release date a month away.

This Kickstarter project was agreed to by Queen to allow for some advanced copies of the game to be specially flown into the USA with some exclusive bonuses for those who wanted to support the Kickstarter project. Apparently some people agree that this is a worthy cause since the project was approved by Kickstarter.com and has had a lot of support within the first day of launch.

For these advanced copies to be flown in we need to meet some minimum order requirements to get the economies of scale to work for the airmail shipment and we thought Kickstarter was the best way to accomplish this.

This post has been edited numerous times to add more clarity and provide additional information as the initial announcement generated a lot of confusion, as evidenced by the 80+ comments on this thread.

UPDATE: We have cancelled this project. While it was half way to its goal in less than 48 hours it wasn't something we wanted to continue with. The possible future US release, confusion on distribution and general reception made the prospect untenable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mayday Games secures initial launch of Kingdom Builder for the USA only
Hmm...

This seems like a cool game...

... but, honestly, why is a publisher trying to have a fundraiser for publishing a game?

I'm a bit confused.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up. Looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Hmm...

... but, honestly, why is a publisher trying to have a fundraiser for publishing a game?

I'm a bit confused.

-DK

Umm because printing a game has a huge up front cost? Gryphon games has used it for projects that they were uncertain about popular support for, and for that matter, it's pretty analogous to a P500 list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He explains it on the kickstarter page. Interesting benefits for supporters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Sleepy
United Kingdom
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mb
DKahnt wrote:
Hmm...

I'm a bit confused.

-DK

I'm with DK. Can you explain exactly what you're doing here?

Basically it seems to me: QueenGames print the game, and you've promised to buy them from Queen Games and pass them on at a profit, as long as people pay you in advance for the games? Surely anyone could have done that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish it were that simple. Board games design has to be done upfront, the research, development, artwork, illistration, then the manufacturer has to be paid up front, then the shippers, customs, taxes. Everyone wants everything up front. Of course Queen Games wants the money for X number of copies and is willing to take a risk on letting Mayday do this special deal.

More risk for them means more reward too, and the only way we can get this to work is if we can get it Kickstarted. It is such a HUGE step up from anything Mayday has done in the past that there was just no other way.

The beauty of Kickstarter is that if you don't like the explanation you don't have to participate either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelley
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome Seth, congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
I wish it were that simple. Board games design has to be done upfront, the research, development, artwork, illistration, then the manufacturer has to be paid up front, then the shippers, customs, taxes. Everyone wants everything up front.

You're making it sound like this game needs a Kickstarter to either get published or be released in the U.S. In reality, it looks like a way for people to post "FIRST!" on a forum when they get it before everyone else....at $60 a pop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honest curiosity: if you've already "secured a contract" with QG, what happens if Kickstarter fails to meet the funding level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Business is about risk and if you can't afford the risk, maybe you shouldn't be in the business. I think it is ridiculous that you're using Kickstarter for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people who are complaining about this here aren't factoring in the financial climate around the world right now. I think this is a logical and perhaps even necessary step that will become more common instead of less as this hobby moves forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

To be avoided at all costs.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
Honest curiosity: if you've already "secured a contract" with QG, what happens if Kickstarter fails to meet the funding level?

Then the agreement goes back to Queen and we crawl into a little hole. The minimum on Kickstarter is NOT the amount we need to pay for the game or anything, just the amount we can't come up with on our own.

We went and arranged some extras and even some unannounced stuff for those who want it.

We respect your decision to back or not back the project, but please respect our desire to creatively TRY to fund this through alternative means.

Mayday has released 3 games in the last few months and we have hundreds and hundreds of copies of some games sitting in our warehouse that we have already paid for. We are just tapped out. This helps both Queen and Mayday mitigate the risk and there just aren't that many banks willing to loan a small board game company any kind of extra capital right now.

Sagrilarus wrote:
    To be avoided at all costs. S.

What costs? It isn't tough to "not back" something. It isn't like we are twisting anyone's arm. If you don't want the game don't back it, we are ok with that. We are just hoping some US residents will be interested in getting the game in ADVANCE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I think people who are complaining about this here aren't factoring in the financial climate around the world right now. I think this is a logical and perhaps even necessary step that will become more common instead of less as this hobby moves forward.

Except this is not the equivalent of a P500. The game is going to be published. How else can they promise Essen delivery if the game is not either already manufactured, or in the process? It's a pre-order with delivery before the masses have access to it, and that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Except this is not the equivalent of a P500. The game is going to be published. How else can they promise Essen delivery if the game is not either already manufactured, or in the process? It's a pre-order with delivery before the masses have access to it, and that's it.

Yes, it is going to be published and released at ESSEN into the German market, not to the USA market. There are hundreds and hundreds of games being released at Essen that will NOT now nor ever be available in the US market.

We have to have these shipped over on a special run to get them to the USA for Kickstarter backers. If you aren't planning on flying to Germany then this may be a better option for some of you. This is a special arrangement for Kingdom Builder.

I recall Zman doing something similar on Agricola's release, where was the outrage there?

If you want to back it then do, if not that is totally fine too. Thanks for those of you who do want the game, we are glad that some of you do want the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify for me...is Valleinstein really Wallenstein? as I'm not certain why you have Wallenstein listed in one spot and Valleinstein in another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
rickert wrote:

So just because the game exists physically, you think there is no significant cost to shipping it to the U.S., warehousing it, shipping it out to distributors and/or stores and marketing it? Those costs are huge. To make sure they have the necessary money to do that as well as to gauge the "serious" interest in the game, Mayday has deemed this necessary and I don't see what is so bad about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
maydaygames wrote:

I recall Zman doing something similar on Agricola's release, where was the outrage there?

Zev Shlasinger is a man of unquestioned honor and integrity.

maydaygames wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:
    To be avoided at all costs. S.

What costs? It isn't tough to "not back" something.

Will you have access to customer credit card numbers prior to shipping?

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtaylor2112 wrote:
Can you clarify for me...is Valleinstein really Wallenstein? as I'm not certain why you have Wallenstein listed in one spot and Valleinstein in another.

Sorry about that, yes this is Wallenstein, the #67 ranked game on BoardGameGeek.com that has been out of print for a while!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3307/wallenstein

We have updated the Kickstarter FAQ to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:

Because that pre-order was to get the Z-Man edition of Agricola published, AND included animeeples and the Z Deck.

You're not publishing a Mayday Games edition of Kingdom Builder, are you? Just importing the Queen version, right? Completely different situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
maydaygames wrote:

Because that pre-order was to get the Z-Man edition of Agricola published, AND included animeeples and the Z Deck.

You're not publishing a Mayday Games edition of Kingdom Builder, are you? Just importing the Queen version, right? Completely different situation.

A little bit different but not completely different at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit to not understanding much about the distribution side of boardgames.

You say you are trying to bring Kindgom Builder to the US market. I planned to pre-order this with Coolstuff and I still see it listed on their website for pre-order.

Does your kickstarter have anything to do with other companies getting games or are they totally separate things?

As I say, I am a bit of a dunce about these things, so if the answer is obvious, I apologize.

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nein!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Up in the air"? A Queen Games publication by a SdJ author?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.