Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PEDDLER Planning/Novice/Optional

Offers Points For Encounters

You have the power to Sell Points. In any encounter where you are not a main player, after cards are played but before they are revealed, you may use this power to sell to either or both main players points, at a cost of 1 point per 2 Lucre. Once bought, the points add or subtract to the player's total at his choice if he plays an attack card in any encounter as main player when you are not for the rest of the game. If you do not have your power you cannot sell points, but they are still not added or subtracted from players’ totals when you are a main player.

HISTORY: Humble merchants, the Peddlers ply their trade to one and all. War is good for business.

Use Only In A Game With Lucre

FLARE

Reveal
Wild: As main player, if you reveal an attack card add or subtract 3 from your total.

Reveal
Super: As main player, you may add all of your allies' points toward your encounter total.

Commentary: This is a Lucre power from Matt Stone's set. The History and Flare are mine. I've been saying all along that every encounter point counts. Now, here's a power that generates encounter points! While I like the concept of the power, it might not work well. I've played it once but only managed to sell a few points. Perhaps I'm just not a salesman. The strength of Peddler is based upon other players; that is, are they willing to spend Lucre for extra encounter points. It's dependent upon the individual, but desperation can be a factor. If all players ignore Peddler, they aren’t worse for wear against each other. However, since the points are permanent, once the tempting genie is out of the bottle the arms race begins.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! A bit of a prisoner's dilemma situation here. If everyone can resist the temptation to buy points from the Peddler, then the Peddler is screwed and no one is any worse that they already were. But once someone starts buying points, they get a great advantage, so others are motivated to do so as well.

The temptation will be especially great with certain combat powers in the game, like Virus, Anti-Matter, Warpish, Reserve, Deuce, Xenophile, Cavalry, Human, Leviathan, etc.

And also there is much greater utility in buying points early in the game, rather than later, because you'll get to use them throughout the game. Buying them near the end gives less return on investment. So the pressure is on from the get-go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.