Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam Engine (age 5) says: "Draw and tuck two 4, then score your bottom yellow card."
Industrialization (age 6) says: "Draw and tuck a 6 for every two factories on your board."
The Internet (age 10) says: "Draw and meld a 10 for every two clocks on your board."

When a card says "draw and X N cards", do you draw all N of the cards first and then X them in whatever order you choose, or must you X them in the order they're drawn? We play by the latter rule, but I can see an argument for the former.

The same question applies to Software ("Draw and meld two 10, then execute each of the second card's non-demand dogma effects"). In Software's case, the clear implication is that you must draw one and meld it, *then* draw the second one and meld it.

(I believe the latter interpretation is correct only because the former interpretation would be better expressed as "Draw N cards, then X them in whatever order you choose.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I always do the former. It says "draw and tuck 2 cards", so I draw and tuck one card then draw and tuck the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we do it also. Draw and do ... repeat. This is reasonable from the rules, and it also serves to speed up play, since there are no decisions to be made
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some occasional benefit you could draw from being able to choose the order, but technically speaking you should do each draw+tuck before proceeding to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me ask about a particualar situation. I was playing a game where i had made it to age 10 while my opponent was on age 3. After playing and activating Software I melded Bioengineering as my second card. Having no Leaves on my board, i initiated the endgame and lost.

While an epic way to lose a game, it left me wondering. Does the card imply I must meld them in the order they are drawn? I know that it says you initiate the dogma effect of the second card, but this wording could be significant even if you are allowed to choose the order. If you draw two cards of the same color you would have to chooae which order to meld them in and activate the top card.

Should this very unfortunate situation warrant rethinking the way you play this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
Let me ask about a particualar situation. I was playing a game where i had made it to age 10 while my opponent was on age 3. After playing and activating Software I melded Bioengineering as my second card. Having no Leaves on my board, i initiated the endgame and lost.

While an epic way to lose a game, it left me wondering. Does the card imply I must meld them in the order they are drawn? I know that it says you initiate the dogma effect of the second card, but this wording could be significant even if you are allowed to choose the order. If you draw two cards of the same color you would have to chooae which order to meld them in and activate the top card.

Should this very unfortunate situation warrant rethinking the way you play this rule.

I don't think so; I think it is very much the intent of the software card that once in a while it does this. Thematically, software is very powerful, but sometimes there are bugs, that make it do something completely different from what you intended, with disastrous results.

If you're ahead 10 to 3 in tech level, unless your opponent has at least a couple of special achievements and is in danger of getting 6 achievements very soon, I think it was a mistake on your part to Dogma Software. Draw another 10 and find something less risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:

No, this is definitely how it is intended. The rising tech levels are both more powerful and more dangerous (in the case of a few Age 9 and age 10 cards). Technology begins to escape your control, and things like this can happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
United States
Summit
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I was grasping at straws. Not only do the rules condemn me for an idiotic play but so does a thematic interpretation of the cards. blush

I would like to say it is because I have only played the game 5 times now, but I should win from the position I was in 999/1000 times. My opponent sure was pleased by her surprise victory (which I will still be hearing about for a LONG time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
The rising tech levels are both more powerful and more dangerous (in the case of a few Age 9 and age 10 cards).

If you lose via an age 9 or 10 card, it represents a disaster like the Johnstown Flood, or Fukushima.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.