Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PART TWO

The heavy fog was still present the next day and it took all Ar’Klar’s skills to navigate a safe path. In fact the only route to The Sprawl available required retracing their steps and so deeper into the Old Wood they headed. A light flickered ahead and it seemed Dwarven luck was running strong as barely off the path under a bush was a Cache of treasure in the form of a small gilt inlaid chest which, when opened contained a few bags of Gold. That evening as they toasted their success over a small fire a cold wind blew in from the West carrying the moans of the departed and chilling them to the bone.

(Two good turns in a row this luck can’t last wish the Weather would lift although now I have some coinage – was tempted to spend on a skill but want to secure POTION and SPELL at the Sprawl. Necropolis was the Night card btw)

Heading back into the Lava Canyon they encountered a caravan pulled over to the side of the road, one of the party had been bitten by a mountain adder and was close to death. At home both below and above in the Mountains Ar’Klar knew precisely what herbs she needed to Find a Cure and before the woman slipped beyond help she had applied a poultice to draw the venom from her wound. That night they joined the caravan for protection whose they were not sure but it was a comfort duing the night as the howls of demons terrorizing the land could be heard in the still mountain air.

(QUEST and SPELL – Sanctuary, in one move, needed a couple of attempts but with movement still limited time I had. Demonic Rite was the Night Card and the Secret Library was discarded. Typically the Badlands an easier keyword to obtain, you’d think, but were all located across the board four turns to reach at minimum and losing at least 1W for ending a turn on a location in Gloom thanks to Weather, oh well)

Entering the Lost Forest Ar’Klar knew she was close to The Sprawl if not by the landscape around her but by the smell of smoke on the air, as she paused to listen it turned out that smoke wasn’t just from the City and the two had to run hard and fast to stay ahead of the Forest Fires that the Civil War had spread to the forests. Finally the fog began to clear and an Eerie Stillness settled over everything.

Entering the Sprawl the next morning terror was written large on the faces of the citizens, militia patrols marched everywhere in groups no smaller than ten. Ar’Klar delivered Mincier back to his family and received a fair reward for a straightforward task. Heading to the Market she found few places open but for now only one really interested her, a small Apothecary off the main square, where she used her reward to purchase a healing Potion. As she left the shop she passed the Mercenary block were skilled individuals sought out employment, thinking some muscle might be helpful Ar’Klar hired a Gladiator from the Arenas skilled she hoped to let her reach her destination safely. Not wishing to spend the night in The Sprawl Ar’Klar headed out as the afternoon sun waned, out into the Open Heath. There upon the open heath she met a Peddler who stopped to hear the news. With a parting wave Ar’Klar murmured to herself “where were you before I went shopping in The Sprawl!”

(Two quick turns here Weather held me up one more turn and the Forest Fires did for a Title as all Places were off the table. The Weather finally changed and so jumped into town discarded Traveller purchased POTION and GLADIATOR keeping my other 5 for a skill, and jumped out again to avoid the Gloom met an easily defeated Stranger who conferred upon me Astral Seer – note I have assumed that discarding Traveller for 5G was a free action – Night Card was Rosen Crusader)

Finally reaching the Badlands the Bracken Wastes were looking more like the Bracken Lakes, Flood waters from the recent bad weather were rising and higher ground was needed, taking refuge in the village of Dark Mire where the water seemed to be lower Ar’Klar heard rumours of a fellow Dwarf Captured. Knowing the town’s reputation the Dwarf was more than likely on the wrong end of a deal and so she set out to free him. Creeping through the alleys and climbing through a broken window where she cut her arm she went inside the warehouse where the Dwarf was supposedly held. Picking two locks whilst avoiding sleeping guards she found the captive and roused him silently from his sleep. Once outside the Dwarf looked her up and down and said “Not bad for one so young, could have done it sooner myself” Ar’Klar turned away to suppress a silent laugh and as she turned back she noticed the sky darkening and the wind picking up, it seemed the break in the Weather was over.

(Bugger forgot to move off and realised I was on a Gloom location oh well small price to pay typical the first Badlands card was an Event still the next try was at least in my area of expertise sneaking and managed it on the first try. Not only did I have my last card BADLANDS but I also picked up Ninja as a Reward a location just next door – Howling Gale is the Night Card)

BADLANDS (Capture), RESPITE (Forsaken Pedestal), POTION (Potion of Healing), PLACE (HEALING POOL), QUEST (Find a Cure), TITLE (Camel Rider), SPELL (Sanctuary) and SHADOW (Scout)

Seeking out the Ninja Ar’Klar moved back to the Brackens as the waters subsided however the ghosts of the recently drowned were restless and it took all of Ar’Klar’s will to put them to rest. The exhaustion was almost too much.

(Ouch Haunting was defeated but in a Gloom location so lost another wound and am now at 2 took all my remaining actions to defeat. Night Card was Warm Sunshine!)

After such a gruelling day Ar’Klar didn’t want to go on, the ghosts and the gloom were taking their toll resting up for a turn and remembering her quests she rose to her feet and sought out the Ninja rumoured to be in these parts. The Ninja helped heal some of her wounds but the Gloom was definitely burdening Ar’Klar as each day passed.

(Decided to heal a wound play Ninja and lose a wound, my Saga is close and I thought the Ninja might help. Orc Raiders took over the Wretched Bog)

As the warm sunshine was holding up the trio camped out and rested gathering their strength for the upcoming push to the end.

(Two AP’s for 2 HP’s then lose one for the Gloom playing a dangerous game here as the deck runs out! Spawning Pit played into Lava Canyon this turn)

Moving into the Open Heath the route to the Sprawl was protected by the Watchmen and taking advantage of the peace the party moved into the Sprawl not stopping they headed out into the Lost Forest as the party stepped under the canopy Bandits came out of the shadows. Knowing time was a priority Ar’Klar paid the Bandits Tithe for passage.

(Three moves were all I could manage so didn’t want to waste time interacting with the Strangers. The Lost Forest is where I need to be and it’s currently free of the Gloom – bonus. Of course the Night Card I drew was Abyssal Gate placed at the Lost Forest!)

As dawn rose it seemed that Bandits were not the only residents of these woods as a Demon descended upon the party. Before the demon could strike the Ninja stepped forward and in a flurry of sword strikes despatched the beast, unfortunately taking a mortal wound in the process. Holding her as she passed beyond this world Ar’Klar thanked her for her protection. It seemed inadequate given the sacrifice. Resting up for a turn to bury their comrade the remaining pair headed out.

The rumours spoke of an army waiting to be led in defence of the land. Starting in Dark Mire Ar'Klar had narrowly avoided Capture (BADLANDS) rescuing a fellow Dwarf who had rumours of where to look. These led her to the forest where more directions were discerned whilst resting at the Forsaken Pedestal (RESPITE).In a compartment in its base a Healing Potion was also found (POTION) surely the gods were with her. Deeper into the woods she uncovered a Secret Pool (PLACE) where healing and succour was found. Using the Pool’s waters she was able to travel on and provide a Cure (QUEST) for others. Time was running out and a steed was needed – a camel, one that could travel great distance with no need to rest (TITLE). Tracking across the land Sanctuary was found with the aid of magic (SPELL) and scouting (SHADOW) once again within the forest canopy the Army was uncovered. Hearing of the peril facing the realm they agreed to follow this diminutive heroine wherever they were needed.

(Hidden Army Baby! And Guess who has shown their ugly faces for a second round it’s my old Nemesis the Orcs! I with 8 fight and 8 HP’s them with 5 fight and 12 HP’s. They suffer an auto from the Hammer and the Gladiator ensures no bonus surprise dice. Let’s go.)

The Army of Thunder headed up into the Lonely Gorge the first sign of Orcs was found in the form of a Black Orc scout. Not surprised due to the Gladiator’s sharp senses and backed by an army victory was swift. Looting the body a potion was uncovered but time to find out what type was unavailable. Down form the hills and into the woods and it seemed that all were out to slow the party as a challenge in the nearby Arena had to be met the Gladiator stepper forward and victory was swift for the Thunder Army. Such prowess was recognised by many of the spectators none more so than a local prince who conferred the title of Sheriff upon Ar’Klar, whilst honoured she deferred she had her mission and took the winnings and accolades instead. With no time to lose the army formed up ready to charge down upon the Orcs camped upon the Moor.

(Decided with Gloom descending and play time running out to go for it! Short distance to travel so first up a Black Orc easily despatched and no loss to me is this a sign of things looking up? Next a move to the forest and the Arena Event. With so much fight seems too easy. Steady. Turned down the title and took money which I assume was ok and spent the money on Battle Wizard skill. )

Charge……..!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brill! But how did it end?? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yeah well lets just say I got my revenge on those "nastie orcsies"
devil

I can't even say it was close! I lost 3 Wounds before they were beaten great combo of Gladiator negating the surprise, the Thunder Hammer causing an auto wound before combat and the Hidden Army, Battle Wizard, Gladiator Fight Bonus.

VICTORY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff. You'll be adding in the higher difficulty variants before you know it!
Are the rules clearer now do you think? There seem to be less questions coming in from play-testers, which is hopefully a good thing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely and I'm also flipping less to and from as I play which is also good.

Have yet to come across any really curly issues with any cards, more gaming on weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's a relief. And thanks for all your contributions Nick - you're a real FQ champion. Look forward to your next adventures! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.