Popular Tags: [View All]
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time has come for another massive Carcassonne play. As per my previous session report here. It is easy to guess that for the last 13 months I was able to get a few new expansions, so the hunger for another big Carcassonne play. I like the time around March to host this event, however this year family commitments were a priority, so getting close to my birthday in May, I decided to host once again this event.

Unfortunately, my previous players were unavailable to attend, but luckily I got a couple of positive responses from to of my fellow BGG friends

Merran Furness
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

green player meeple

Terry Furness
Australia
Monash
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

blue player meeple

Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Myself as black player meeple

I think the time was an issue, and the other factor may be that the original date slipped about a month. From experience, a higher number of players drags a little the game, so for this years a 3 players go was more than enough.

The first challenge is always the refresh of the rules, but there weren't many issues here as I recall. Again, BGG was an invaluable source of information to get around the rules details. Also, maybe for future plays I may prepare a summary page with the different events that every expansion brings to the game play. Some of the meeples actions are done in a particular order that affect the traditional draw tile-play tile-place meeple sequence.

As per my previous session report, It is not my intention to describe play by play, but the just an overall and to share my experience of playing Carcassone and the 17 expansions.

I must confess that I been a slack this time and it has take a few months to report this session, but nonetheless here we go:

My guests arrived at the indicated time of 14:30. The idea was to explain all rules for 30 mins and the kickstart the game. A decision was made to play as per German rules, were the farmers score by farm and the city always score 2 points per tiles, even for a two tiles city. We also applied the rule of the edge of the table. The main reason is that it get messy trying to arrange the game to fit in the table once it has started and we are half way through.

d10-1 The Count (12 tiles)

The initial set up included a nicely match of the tiles in the Count mini expansion and the wheel of fortune.

The count made his presence again and we applied the variant where the Count moves overtime. a feature is completed. I think this actually worked really nice, but it was tricky to keep track of the movements of the Count, and we probably missed a couple of times to move it.

d10-2 The Wheel of Fortune (19 tiles)

I love this new expansion (stand alone game?) of Carcassonne. It gives a high scoring game as people try to take advantage of guessing the pink pig movements and there is only one negative section on the wheel. I was really surprise to see how nice the tiles of the bottom of the Count expansion perfectly match with the top of the wheel.

We only used the tiles were the wheel was activated, to avoid extending the game far too long. Maybe next time I decide to go all the tiles on this expansion as well

d10-3 & d10-4 The River and The River II (12 and 12 tiles)

This time instead of playing one big river we went for the three beginnings to create three different rivers and worked like a charm. All the rivers grew from the centre and opened a big play area since the beginning of the game as can be seen in the image below.

d10-5 Mini Expansion (12 tiles)

The mini expansion is now part of my base game, I never bother to take it out, so for this gameplay these tiles were by dealt.

d10-6 The Plague (6 tiles)

This was one of my most recent expansion that came in the spielbox magazine for 2010. It is a really nasty one but I really like it. It make its presence early in the game and we started outbreaks on a regular fashion. Interestingly enough, there was only one outbreak at the time and the last one was active I thing by one of the last five tiles of the game. The image below shows one of the early outbreaks in place as well as the dragon.

d10-7 Cult, Siege & Creativity (12 tiles)

The main attraction of this expansion is the conflict that generates between the monks and the cult leaders. Unfortunately, for this game, I don't remember having more that one or two conflicts for the whole game. Anyway, the Cloister was present and in combo with the wheel game a few extra points to the players.

On the other hand, the siege tiles were really a headache specially on those castles that were growing in the number of tiles.

As for the Creativity tiles we used them as wildcard tiles, so basically you can fit them anywhere on the board.

d10-8 Bridges, Castles and Bazaars (12 tiles)

This was the first time I played this expansion. It wasn't played before and I got it for my birthday last year

Anyway to avoid prolonging the game, it was an approve motion to play only with the Bazaar tiles without the bidding. The were a couple of castles in play, but not many and the funniest thing was that there was only one bridge played in the whole game. It can be seen in the below image:

The other funny situation was the dragon spent half of the game in that region and more that once ended on top of the bridge.

d10-9 Inns and Cathedrals (18 tiles)

From this expansion the big action was with the big meeples, as players were keen to send them to Carcassonne city, to snatch a big scoring feature. I remember snatching a cloister one time, but I also was left out of a castle using the same technique. Again the Cathedrals were aiming for a big score, but the siege tiles I remember diminishing one of the cities for a big score.

d10-1d10-0 Trades & Builders (24 tiles)

This expansion definitively doesn't like me. No matter what a never manage to get enough tokes to claim a majority on any of the goods. On the other hand, this time I played clever with the builder, even though I got my builder left alone for a while in a castle for a few rounds. My pig was one of the key placement that game me a great end score combo with my barn.

d10-1d10-1 The Tower (18 tiles)

One of the nasty expansion that not many people like. I think in this game, there was a few tower action, but I remember all three players had quite a few of their tower unused at the end of the game. Also I don't think there was a tower higher than three levels. The other special tiles in this expansion were used accordingly, however I can't recall a special play out of them.

d10-1d10-2 The Princess & The Dragon (30 tiles)

Once again the dragon was on play. Again, the poor dragon was relegate to corner so there wasn't much action from him. One thing to notice in this game was the dragon ability to get back to the only bridge played in the whole game as can be seen in the picture below:

I'm pretty sure the dragon ate a few meeples, however the plague was more effective in that regard. Also I think the run away action of the plague expansion helped a few meeples from getting caught by the dragon and the towers.

More useful was the fairy, as she manage to give points to all players, but mainly blue that was having some sort of special affection for the fairy

d10-1d10-3 Abbey & Mayor (12 tiles +3 Abbeys)

I really like this expansion and I highly recommended, not only because have mister fancy pants meeple, but also the barn is one of my favourite meeples along with the wagon (I still thing this is a skateboard for the regular meeples).

In this game the barn was a key element for winning the game. I manage to place it somehow early in the game on an semi open area, that later on I could continue develop cities. Also the pig from the traders and builders assisted me to get a hugh advantage.

d10-1d10-4 The catapult (12 tiles)

Again, this expansion is one that I haven't really played as intended. I thing it is because it really affects the flow of the game, so I suggested to play only with the additional tiles leave the catapult for when my lovely daughter grows and I can happily play it with her.

d10-1d10-5 The Tunnel (4 tiles)

Another mini expansion from the spielbox magazine. I'm still not 100% sure we played this one correctly, but only two of the players used the special token from this expansion. I guess I need to play it a bit more to make sure I don't forget to use this special function.

d10-1d10-6 King & Scout (5 tiles)

I probably shouldn't count this one as we didn't used the token for the king and the scout at all. The problem was that I know with the big map takes a long time to get the points for the scout. There was a 5 hours limit to play the game and I didn't wanted to extended beyond the allocated time, so we dropped the tiles for the king and the scout. The only reason I still count it is because we in fact played with the additional 5 tiles that came with this mini expansion.

d10-1d10-7 TBA

I made a mistake counting the expansions there were only 16 expansions in play in addition to the Carcassonne base game with 71 tiles. The starting tile was not in play.

Conclusion

The game started around 3:00 pm and we finished close to 8:00 pm. Game play was really smooth and the time flew by. The total tiles played were 294.

The final score was as follows:

BLACK = 414
GREEN = 387
BLUE = 380

I really enjoyed my time playing this and keen to host again for next year. I consider the fact that I won this time more of a fluke than ability.

A final picture a bit blurry but still visible follows:

Since the time we played this session to the posting of this report I have already got the Phantom expansion, but I'm pretty by the time I organise a full Carcassone game, I may have a couple more expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Carcassonne +17 Expansions
Exhaustingly impressive. I'm very surprised that the bridges didn't see more play; they've become one of my favourite expansions, as they reward creativity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculous!

(and cool)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Ridiculous!

(and cool)

thanks mate, love the comment laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very admirable - I'm curious how long it took to sort back into their boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Exhaustingly impressive. I'm very surprised that the bridges didn't see more play; they've become one of my favourite expansions, as they reward creativity.

Yes, I think one of the issues was that due to the different expansions there was a lot going on, so players were concentrating on tile placement to where the tiles fit rather than to find spots for the bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
conky wrote:
Very admirable - I'm curious how long it took to sort back into their boxes?

That didn't took too long. Most of the expansions I have have a little icon that identify which expansion the tile belongs. As for those that don't have an identifier I'm happy to leave them with the base game. Also, when we finished the game my regular friends came for our usual gaming night and one of them knows by hart most of the tiles from the base game. I would say about 5 to 10 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report!

Five straight hours of Carcassonne may seem a bit much, but it looks like you all enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L H
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad there's an ocean between us. I enjoy a massive Carcassonne game once in a while. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome stuff team.

I think I need in on this in the future if a seat is free. I love crazy crap like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Shoot
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great pictures showing your progession of play! I have one question: After River I and II, did you mix ALL the following tiles, i.e. base game + remaining expansions together?... and then play them out?

At first it looked like you played the expansions one-at-a-time or something, but you didn't do that, right?

Overall.. amazing game. And I have to say that it always seems to take longer than what it says on the box for us when we play!
So all those expansions in 5 hours... Did you take any break for food? ha ha

Fun to read this and get a vicarious experience that I may not have otherwise! I've thought of doing this but..... wow...

Ok, the most amazing line is when you added "my regular gaming group showed up at the end." Did you seriously go on to play other games AFTER this? And of course I would like to know what you played after 5 hours of Carc!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
house14 wrote:
Great pictures showing your progession of play! I have one question: After River I and II, did you mix ALL the following tiles, i.e. base game + remaining expansions together?... and then play them out?

At first it looked like you played the expansions one-at-a-time or something, but you didn't do that, right?

Overall.. amazing game. And I have to say that it always seems to take longer than what it says on the box for us when we play!
So all those expansions in 5 hours... Did you take any break for food? ha ha

Fun to read this and get a vicarious experience that I may not have otherwise! I've thought of doing this but..... wow...

Ok, the most amazing line is when you added "my regular gaming group showed up at the end." Did you seriously go on to play other games AFTER this? And of course I would like to know what you played after 5 hours of Carc!!

Thanks for your comments house14. We played all the expansions and the base game drawing tiles from a bag. I filled the bag with expansion tiles one by one to explain specific rules about each expansion.

The initial set up was the Wheel of fortune attached to Carcassonne city from the The count expansion. Then I separated the three river beginnings and endings. Every player had the choice to begin a river from the Wheel or City and we played until the river tiles were gone. We then place a river ending and start drawing tiles from the bag. At this point the only expansion not in the bag was the Plague, because you need to play at 12 tiles from the base game before you can have and outbreak

After that the game flow as normal. It didn't felt like 5 hours. Yes, we have snacks on my kitchen bench all afternoon. I didn't have dinner that day.

And yes, we played other games after that, probably for another 4 hours. That why we packed it up with 10 mins. We needed the table to play other games laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xldh wrote:
Too bad there's an ocean between us. I enjoy a massive Carcassonne game once in a while. meeple

If you ever visit Australia, let me know. I'll organise one of this for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
Nice report!

Five straight hours of Carcassonne may seem a bit much, but it looks like you all enjoyed it!

When we played Conan for four and a half you didn't seem to concern

You have to try it laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Awesome stuff team.

I think I need in on this in the future if a seat is free. I love crazy crap like this.

You're in. Don't book anything for next Anzac long weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiguero wrote:
muzfish4 wrote:
Nice report!

When we played Conan for four and a half you didn't seem to concern

You have to try it laugh

Conan was tops! Conflict, blood, magic and 'Crom count the dead'. thumbsup

Maybe if Carcassonne had more plastic barbarians I would be up for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jawsome, our group (who are relatively new to having Carcassonne in our regular games rotation) just played with the whole big box and had a whale of a time. (I know that's only 5 expansions, but it was the first time we had ever played with more than one at a time)
Session report: http://itrolled.blogspot.com/2011/10/weekend-gaming-blog-mee...

We are defiantly looking at adding more meeple madness in future... meeple

Oh yes I too await the Carcassonne: The Chimmerian expansion...(You could always just replace the Dragon with Conan from age of Conan, much the same effect..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.