Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This was my 3rd game of Elder Sign (second solo game). First let me apologize for this not being as complete as I wanted it to be. I got so involved in the game I completely forgot to log each turn as I had intended. I must say that this was the most fun I have had with a solo game in a long time!

I decided to play with 2 investigators and randomly chose Jenny Barnes and Dexter Drake. I drew Azathoth as the Ancient One. If he awakens, the game is over. Azathoth is also difficult because it requires 14 Elder Signs to keep him from waking up and 8 of the 12 doom track spaces cause a monster to be placed.

Things started off pretty good. Jenny Barnes can discard a Spell, clue token or common item to gain both the yellow and red dice. I easily completed the first 4 locations I went to, and quickly got 4 elder signs. Then things went bad, really really bad. A few mythos cards added tokens had added tokens to the doom track, in turn adding monsters to the locations. To make matters worse, one of these monsters locked the red die, and another was locking the yellow. This effectively put an end to Jenny's special ability for a while. It seemed that almost everything was causing doom tokens to be added to the track and in turn yet more monsters to be placed! Add to that some pretty horrible dice rolling and things began to look very grim.

It wasn’t long before every location had a least one monster on it (some had two) and I was forced to attempt adventures just to defeat the monsters, knowing full well that I would fail and have to take the penalty. Victory was slipping further and further from my grasp. With only 2 spaces left on the doom track, I had Jenny attempt the "Please don't touch the exhibits" location. She had 2 clue tokens and had discarded a common item to get the red and yellow dice. There are 2 tasks on that card, one with 2 skulls and the other has 2 terror symbols. In retrospect it was a bad decision since both the terror effects and the penalty for failure add tokens to the doom track. However with eight dice to roll and 2 clue tokens I thought I had it in the bag. First roll failed but I did get one skull which I used to focus. Rolling the remaining 6 dice I completed the first task. I now had 5 dice (with 2 possible rerolls) to get 2 terror icons. The first roll got me no terror icons so I paid a clue token to reroll. Next roll got only 1 terror icon so paid the last clue token to reroll again. This time I again got one terror icon which I used to focus but I still had to add 1 more token to the doom track because of the terror effects. I now had 3 dice to roll one terror icon. First with 3 dice, then two I failed. Finally with one yellow dice left I held my breath and rolled. A scroll icon came up. The hour of doom had struck. Azathoth awoke from his evil slumber and destroyed the world!

I really enjoyed the tension in this game a lot. After things started to go bad, each die roll was agonizing. Even choosing whether to attempt an adventure or go back to the entrance to purchase something became difficult. I can only hope that future plays are this enjoyable!

Now to the questions.

1. I assume that paying a clue token to reroll means that you don't have to resolve terror effects on the card should you have a terror icon on one of the dice?

2. I played a spell just before attempting the "Great Hall of Celeano" card. This card has 3 tasks on it. The first is a terror symbol, the second a spell symbol and the third has a 6 investigator symbol. My first roll I got a terror symbol (which completed the first task) and a scroll and a few investigator symbols. I took the scroll and placed it on the spell card. Then after my next roll, I used the scroll from the spell card to complete the second task. Did I play this correctly?

Thanks for reading,

-Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only if you fail after the re-roll and there is a Terror result.

2. Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cook
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Go Pack Go!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a lot of fun. I look forward to playing it with you at the Canton, Mi boardgame event this Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaboy Green
United States
livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooooo i would like a shot at this too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.